Actors who have read at least one novel

For each actor who played Bond in the EON franchise, I know:

-Connery has read LALD, FRWL and TB (it's in the making of DAF)

-Lazenby has read (at least) OHMSS (and even used it during the shooting)

-Dalton has read all of it

-Craig has read (at least) CR

What about Moore and Brosnan ? I tried to find articles and interviews where they quote a novel or talk about Fleming's work using references, descriptions...but nothing !

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent

Moore read the first bit of Goldfinger I think, where Bond says he doesn't like the job he does but is glad he's good at it, or words to that effect. I think that's GF. He would come out with these comments to disgruntled interviewers for the James Bond British Fan Club, I think, the unspoken comment by them being 'No wonder you're so rubbish at Bond if that's all you've read, not exactly done a study of the character have you?' perhaps the unspoken response being 'Seven films all blockbusters, I'm a multi-millionaire not too shabby, eh?'

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • SeanIsTheOnlyOneSeanIsTheOnlyOne Posts: 406MI6 Agent

Thanks ! To be honest, I think Roger's performance in FYEO is simply amazing and in some scenes of the movie, he reminds me Fleming's character, especially in the way he stands and speaks, bringing more serious and maturity than before. For once, his Bond looks faithful to the spirit of the novels, although I have to admit Maibaum and Wilson did a great job in terms of writing, which helps a lot.

What about Brosnan ? In TWINE, we can see he wants to bring more complexity to the character, although I'm not really convinced by his performance, and despite the terrible writing of DAD, I think it's in this one he shows all his talent- he's absolutely excellent ! I always wondered if he used some pieces of work from Fleming to make the character evolve. At any rate, he never mentioned it.

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent

I think Brosnan bought Ian Fleming's typewriter when it came up for auction. That's all I can think of.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017