Tailoring Sloop Suit - Your Experience?

Hi all,

Way back (Jan 2021), I ordered a Sloop suit from Mr. Porter (when they were 50% off) in size 50.

I just had the chance to take it to my tailor yesterday and he was concerned about taking up the sleeves, since the button holes are functional and already cut (apparently some designers won't cut the button holes initially for that reason). He suggested that I should see if I can exchange it for a 50 Short which might fit better. My question is:

-Does MA even make jackets in 'Short'? (It doesn't look like it from their website.)

-Has anyone else successfully shortened the sleeves on their Sloop jackets? If so, how did it turn out? What did your tailor do with the buttons?

He also politely suggested that I could benefit from a size 52 pant (or lose a couple of pounds of pandemic weight) to get a more ideal fit. Do you know if it's possible to exchange just the pants for a different size, or is there anyone who already lost some weight and would want to trade size 50 (NWT, unhemmed) for size 52? Apparently there's not a lot of extra fabric in the pants to work with (someone else on here said they contacted MA and they said only 1cm).

Thanks!

Comments

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

Hello Maverick,

I normally take a 40-short in suits and jackets. As I also don't believe that MA do 'short', I bought a (European) 48 sloop suit with corresponding trousers and was fortunate that the only adjustments I needed were to shorten the pants and the sleeves. I had the sleeves shortened from the shoulders which doesn't affect the cuffs, and they are perfect. Perhaps your tailor can do likewise for you?

• coop5150coop5150 Posts: 125MI6 Agent

I'm afraid I can't help you with your question, but I was hoping you could help me with picking a size for myself? I am usually a 40R U.S. suit size. I have heard that the Sloop runs a bit big so I should size down to a 38R? I am 5'10, usually wear a 31x32 size pair of jeans. Thanks in advance if you're able to help!

• MaverickFergMaverickFerg Posts: 31MI6 Agent

Hey Coop,

I'm about 5' 8" and currently about 180lbs. I usually wear a 33x30 size pair of jeans/pants and a 42R suit coat. When I first got the suit (about a year ago) the pants fit perfectly. (I was probably 175 at the time.) The jacket fits perfectly other than the sleeves, which are too long by a few inches. I'd say, based on the measurements you've provided that a 50 or maybe a 48 might fit you perfectly. (Remember MA uses European sizing.)

• JTullock23JTullock23 ArizonaPosts: 552MI6 Agent

As far as your question about buying a “short” I think they were sold as standard sizes.

On the tailoring front… Some very good tailors can shorten the sleeve at the shoulder seams by basically moving the entire arm up an inch or two. This can be the best method depending on a few factors like armhole depth and width of the arms. It it usually quite a bit more labor intensive and thus more costly. For most off the peg or budget suits this isn’t likely to be an option though. Depending on where you live you may want to consult a bespoke maker or high-end store or tailor shop.

"History isn't kind to men who play God." - DC "I gave him the limp." - PB "Better make that two." - TD

"Keeping British end up, sir." - RM "This never happened to the other fellow." - JL "I must be dreaming." SC