A Thunderball camera question.

Hi everyone, firstly let me say that I have searched the site for this information and not found it, but that could be me. So sorry if this has been discussed before.

I was watching the bluray of Thunderball last night and when it came to the scene with Q where he hands Bond the camera it clearly appears to be the all black Nikonos I. Later as their conversation continues, in a two shot, Bond wraps the strap around the camera and they move on but the case appears to be grey. I know this could be a trick of the light with the Knurled type surface of the camera when light hits it but then later when Bond is on the beach with Domino the camera is clearly grey. Later it switches back to the all black Nikonos I.

Looking into this today I found this picture from the scene where Bond investigates the Disco Volante, it appears to be a publicity shot:

Bl0mznaCAAA4A2g.jpg:large (960×960) (twimg.com)

you can see that it appears to be the earlier Calypso model as you can make out the wording beneath the lens and it is clearly grey. I know that the Nikonos I was definitely used and that it had tape over its branding but I wasn't aware that both the Nikonos I and the Calypso model were used during filming. Is this correct?

(sorry if this is common knowledge and I'm a bit behind everybody)

Comments

• Agent SterlingAgent Sterling Dear Old BlightyPosts: 8MI6 Agent
    edited May 2022

I also meant to point out that in the picture I linked to, the Calypso clearly has a different lens to the Nikonos close up in the Q scene.

• thespyboys11thespyboys11 Lindenwold,NJPosts: 1,845MI6 Agent
    edited May 2022

You, Sir, are correct. Both the Nikonos I and the the Calypso camera were used in the film.

When I met Desmond, back in 1996, I had he good fortune to take some photos of the actual Nikonos I (serial#: 908470)  camera used in the film.

In this still, you can see the word Nikonas at the bottom of the camera.

(Click on the photo and then click again to enlarge)

For the scene when we get to see a good view of the camera, black tape is used to obscure the name.

When taking the photos of the Disco Volante, Bond is using the Calypso camera. You can see the plate with the word Calypso behind his finger. The wording is filled in with black.

You will notice this is NOT the same Calypso we later see with Bond on the beach with Domino.

That version does not have a plate with the engraved name but rather the name is now engraved directly unto the camera body and the lettering is now filled in white.

Later on, when Domino drops the camera, it is, again, the Nikonos I camera. This time it is severely wrapped round and round the bottom to hide the name.

When the lens pops off when she drops it (which is impossible as it bayonet locks into the body) we see that there is something inside the camera directly below the lens. These parts, I believe to be, leftover parts from the Dorsette transistor radio that was gutted to use as parts of Largo's SPECTRE HQ door opening device.

You'll notice that Desmond's camera still had the interior bits. I wish now that I had gotten a much better close-up photo.

As I had two Nikonos cameras, I converted one to look like the Calypso version seen in the film.

In the underwater scene, you will notice that the Calypso is equipped with the underwater viewfinder.

• Bond Collectors' WeekendsBond Collectors' Weekends Gainesville, Florida USAPosts: 1,883MI6 Agent

Gosh, Ed, chap asks a question, you just blather on and on . . .

Always amazing!

Seven (007) James Bond Tours! Mission: Mexico!
  • Agent SterlingAgent Sterling Dear Old BlightyPosts: 8MI6 Agent

Wow thanks so much for your response Ed!!

That was so much more than I was hoping for, you guys are amazing. All the times I've watched this film and I never noticed the underwater viewfinder. And I hadn't spotted that there were two different Calypsos or the interior of the Nikonos. Talk about eagle eyes!

Now I have an excuse to watch it again 😁

Yeah the thing about the lens coming off always used to bug me lol.

One on the reasons I wanted to clarify this was so that collectors out there would know they have another option with regards the camera. If you have the opportunity to get your hands on either a Nikonos I (and I just have, it's in the post. Can't wait, it's been a grail piece for me) or a Calypso then you have the right one.

Thanks again Ed. 👍️

Very welcome. Hopefully, I’ve answered whatever questions you might have had.

And yes, Matt, l babble on and on....LOL

Ed

• PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent

Begs the obvious question: Why? Why two different -- albeit similar -- cameras?

• MonsignorMonsignor Posts: 0MI6 Agent

Hello (a)Gents-

I realize this isn't a technical discussion on the cameras, per se, but I did want to add a little color to the conversation. The Calypso (which was co-designed by Jacques Cousteau himself) camera body was fitted with a synthetic 'fur' called 'seal skin' or 'seal fur' which is the silvery looking material on the outer thirds of the body. The thought was that this would make the body easier to grip when wearing gloves (also why the knobs on the lens are oversized). This was later replaced by additional texturizing of the metallic body then in its final iteration a rubberized material integrated into the body.

That said I wonder if they thought the black body looked better on the carpet/flooring than the 2-tone silver-ish and black on the lighter floor? Just a thought..

I still have my Nikonos III and V which are both in excellent shape (and I still take my Nikonos V diving with me!) but regrettably sold my Calypso, Nikonos (I), II, and IVA. I might replace the Calypso and the I at some point...

Just stumbled upon this site today. Seems like a great site!

Cheers from Dallas, Texas!