Why does Bond no longer wear a digital watch?

sirsosirso Posts: 209MI6 Agent

Why does Bond no longer wear a digital watch?

Since 1985, Bond has not worn a digital watch. The last one he wore was a Seiko in Octopussy. Is this because digital watches are dirt cheap nowadays, and no longer a status symbol? Therefore, something today's Bond would never go near?

Or is it that Omega are willing to pay Eon more than any other watch company to promote their watches?

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

You've got it with your last line. Bond wears the watch whose hands point to the most money for Eon.

• moneyofpropremoneyofpropre Posts: 38MI6 Agent

At the time Bond was the king of the gadget so replacing a phone (contening communication system, hacking device, photograph camera, etc...) with a connected watch would totally be not wrong and it's quite astonishing that Bond never had one (I guess the money dropped by Omega and purist fans of needle watches have hitherto prevented an evolution that would had been so logical in Roger Moore aera).

• sirsosirso Posts: 209MI6 Agent

Thanks for your replies.

I suppose another thing to take into consideration is that not many modern digital watches are as attractive as those 1970s Seikos, with their minimalist displays and steel cases.

The only digital watches he could wear now and get away with as a field agent is a G-Shock... not the most beautiful watches in my view.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    edited July 2022

Yeah I guess digital was the future back then and had a bit more allure to it, but not so much now. Seiko don't even make them any more, more's the shame.

• Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent

Don't forget Seiko had a product placement deal with Eon just as Omega does today.