Propstore Live Auction Los Angeles 28th - 30th June 2023

ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,271MI6 Agent

Here is a link to the James Bond lots which includes a serious piece of kit from Moonraker which is missing the rear cocoon frame/hang glider and the return of the wood Golden Gun:

https://propstoreauction.com/auctions/catalog/id/347?page=1&view=grid&catm=any&order=order_num&xclosed=yes&featured=no&key=james%20bond

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,705MI6 Agent
    edited June 2023

Wow that Glastron is quite a thing to have, shame it doesn't have the roof though, yes. I presume, as they say, that means it was never onscreen?

I suspect that Skyfall knife will go for way more than the estimate.

• Bond Collectors' WeekendsBond Collectors' Weekends Gainesville, Florida USAPosts: 1,883MI6 Agent

Coolness! Some nice looking lots.

If that's the same wood gun as before, it separates into two parts, where the cigarette case meets the rest.

I'm eyeing that Skyfall Hard Drive and am regretting now selling mine.

Seven (007) James Bond Tours! Mission: Mexico!
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,705MI6 Agent

Why is the Spectre ring distressed? I can't remember one like that in the movie. Did Mr White have it or something?

• Bond Collectors' WeekendsBond Collectors' Weekends Gainesville, Florida USAPosts: 1,883MI6 Agent

There were about 30 Spectre agents at the conference, each with two or three bodyguards. I do not think all of them had rings, but some certainly did. A limited number of resin and rubber rings were used and a more limited number of metal rings were worn by not just Mr White and Blofeld, but by Hinx, Guerra, and other agents around the conference table and upstairs.

I've seen distressed rubber, metal and resin rings from the props boffins.

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    edited June 2023

[edit]. It’s just a background version they made in brass and painted silver. The silver paint has rubbed off over the years and PropShop are talking it up.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

Thanks for the correction. Good to know.

• BigMovieFanBigMovieFan Posts: 32MI6 Agent

As of 6/4, the SKYFALL knife has already reached the reserve of $2,000. It is also the only Bond item to receive any bids thus far.

The Golden Gun is the same one that was auctioned off in the 2021 London Auction. The reserve is a lot higher at $10,000 compared to the 2021 auction where it was £4,000.

I concur with what Matt said above about the SPECTRE rings they were made of metal, rubber, and resin. The ones made out of rubber or resin were used for stunts and extras for economic reasons, and the metal ones were made only for key characters and close-up shots. Also, if you re-watch the SPECTRE meeting in Italy, not everyone is wearing rings. Minx is not wearing a ring until the train sequence.

Here's a closeup of his ring for reference.

I've wondered if it was meant for Hinx to "ascend" to Guerra position and thus, no ring, until he kills him at the meeting.

I meant to write Hinx instead of Minx. Nuts! But, yes, that’s probably why you don’t see him wearing the ring during the meeting.

I wonder if the Prop Store ring was made for the opening sequence because of the coloring?

• ExpatJBExpatJB HoustonPosts: 752MI6 Agent

I wonder how they authenticate the knife, because I have one that looks exactly the same.

Dont wait for your ship to come in. Swim out and meet the bloody thing.

I looked again now, and when we see the backside of the opening sequence ring, it appears gold, not silver, but that is likely the sun coming in through the copter's window.

I thought Minx was a cool nickname, like "Brozza" or "The Craiginator".

Most of the AJB'ers who enjoy the same model knife have one of our marvelous top contributors to thank, for pursuing the knife manufacturer, for an added small run of knives.

No auction houses employ Bond experts--they have general film experts or music experts at best. And only a few auction houses rely on Bond experts--some of them use me for questions about suggested Bond lots--believe it or not (!), but I'll tell you frankly, Prop Store makes every effort to authenticate items and will pull/modify inappropriate listings, although they (as they should) listen to production companies and etc. more than fans who write in, only sometimes with legitimate complaints.

I place a great deal of trust in their store and auctions and have few qualms about buying from them. There are other houses that could care less about authenticity and are trying to churn items fast, under the radar, for sheer auction percentages. I think one reason Prop Store has grown so quickly is buyers feel their COA is worthy. I've been more than pleased with my Prop Store purchases and all the items I've gotten from them were screen matched and/or matched identical props from EON and film sources.

i should have stated that it might have been one of the rings used for the sequence, not that exact one used in those scenes. Or it might look disheveled due to age and wear.

It’s not the opening sequence close up ring. That was solid sterling silver. The brass painted ones were just background as I stated earlier. They made loads of these. They also had brass silver plated versions and brass gold plated versions for Blofeld too, as well as three gold ones. The resin and rubber ones were stunt only. They didn’t use these as background as they were too delicate for general set use. The resin ones were 3D printed. Not cast.

As always, amazing details you've shared! Thank you so much.

I saw the Christie's auction with "Blofeld's Gold Ring" and I think a recent auction's "Hinx Ring" was metal, so Prop Store's is the third metal Spectre/No Time to Die style ring I've seen at an auction since 2015/16. A number of friends have rubber or resin rings, so if anyone knows where the stash is . . .

edited June 2023

Thanks. I thought from the coloring of the ring it might have been used for the sequence -or at least one, if any rubber/resin ones were made.

i also know about the stunt/extra ones made from my previous post. But thanks again for letting me know. 👍

• PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent

For a variety of reasons I've suspected the resin rings were fake; they're not?

Part of my reasoning is while there's some logic to rubber, resin to my thinking makes no sense.

• PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    edited June 2023

The Glastron is basically just a boat that was used for promotional purposes; it has no gadgets and most likely no actual film connection.

There were five "Q Craft" in total.