Swaine Adeney Brigg Bond Case - From Russia with Love

Lex TemplarLex Templar Posts: 34MI6 Agent
Hi everyone,

My Swaine Adeney Brigg 4.5 inch Bond case arrived this week in Australia after 3 months. Something I have always coveted.

I have to say it is quite the piece. The bridle leather is remarkable along with the hand made solid brass hardware.
I have just taken a few quick photos thus far.

I also believe Roger Moore probably had a SAB at the Miramonti Majestic Grand Hotel in FYEO that he throws on the hotel bed.

IMG-8084.jpg

IMG-8089.jpg

Comments

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 814MI6 Agent
    Gorgeous case. Think we need an action shot of it in its new front seat home! :D
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Wow, that is quite the investment—never realised how much they cost. Congratulations Lex, it's a beauty!
  • texas007texas007 Houston, Texas 77041Posts: 2,346MI6 Agent
    always wanted one - congrats and thanks for sharing -{
  • C O L C O M B EC O L C O M B E Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    Hi Lex,

It was great to read your post and see some close up images of the case. I'm interested in more of your impressions of it as an owner. Did you experience aspects of the case that you didn't expect, that surprised you in a positive way? Also, are there any details that you felt were not quite at a standard you expected in a slightly more negative way?

I'm very much interested in the details and would be grateful for any more observations you have.

As an example, I think I'm right in assuming the case locks have a 'half rise' body. I have long wondered if that causes the case lock levers to not quite look flush when closed. If this is something you notice or not, I would be grateful for your input.

Gratefully,

Matthew
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    JTM wrote:
    Wow, that is quite the investment—never realised how much they cost.

You can sometimes find them used for less but not often and still not inexpensive!
  • AndBAndB Posts: 11MI6 Agent
    I'm interested in more of your impressions of it as an owner. Did you experience aspects of the case that you didn't expect, that surprised you in a positive way? Also, are there any details that you felt were not quite at a standard you expected in a slightly more negative way?

I'm very much interested in the details and would be grateful for any more observations you have.

+1 And congrats! Looks really nice.
  • thespyboys11thespyboys11 Lindenwold,NJPosts: 1,844MI6 Agent
    Matthew
    Hi Matthew. Everyone please welcome a good friend, Matthew, to the forum. --Ed
  • Lex TemplarLex Templar Posts: 34MI6 Agent
    edited February 2021
    Hi Lex,

It was great to read your post and see some close up images of the case. I'm interested in more of your impressions of it as an owner. Did you experience aspects of the case that you didn't expect, that surprised you in a positive way? Also, are there any details that you felt were not quite at a standard you expected in a slightly more negative way?

As an example, I think I'm right in assuming the case locks have a 'half rise' body. I have long wondered if that causes the case lock levers to not quite look flush when closed. If this is something you notice or not, I would be grateful for your input.

Gratefully,

Matthew

Hi Matthew,

The first thing you notice is the smell of the bridal leather, it remains quite 'oily' for a little while when brand new. You notice very quickly this is a handmade piece made by a skilled craftsman and the delicate leather will need lots of feeding and looking after.
    I also have a Globetrotter 1897 slim attache which I use everyday, I'm still not sure if I really want to use this piece a lot or just keep it in my collection.

It's big in the flesh, more like a small suitcase really. I went for the 4.5 inch as Sean's was, there is a 3.5 inch version too.

The lid sits flush enough, a characteristic of all these cases is that the edge of the lid waves around slightly where the latches are connected as it gets latched to the body. I knew this was always the case and it is leather afterall as opposed to vulcanised fibreboeard on a globetrotter which maintains a perfectly straight edge.

Also, nothing is hidden, you can see the edge of the leather on all sides, this was probably the part that surprised me the most - that is wasn't as 'polished' in this area - but at the same time it is probably the most beautiful detail as it's simply not hiding anything. They could have easily hidden this with a border on all corners that ultimately would have detracted.

The locks themselves are completely hand made - you can see this as they are slightly different (a bit like no 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO is the same) and I quite like this aspect.

It has a good weight and a serious presence, and in my opinion is the pinnacle of Attaché cases - much cooler than a LV. Most people on the street wouldn't look sideways which I like. The stitching is incredible.
    Matthew
    Hi Matthew. Everyone please welcome a good friend, Matthew, to the forum. --Ed

Ed! A warm welcome from a good friend indeed. I have not long returned from a short trip and, in brief moments, I discovered this forum via a Bond Experience video by David. My goodness I have missed so much. The world has suddenly gotten a lot bigger for my long held appreciation of the Bond franchise. It is a pleasure to be here.

Ed, I can only hope this forum will not distract me too much from our current project. I will email you shortly :)
    A couple more images that I originally took.

IMG-8086.jpg

IMG-8087.jpg
  • Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 814MI6 Agent

ecJJCd.jpg

image8.jpg

This is all kinds of amazing.
    Hi Lex,

Thank you so much for the reply and for sharing more of your observations. Regarding the first thing you notice, the bridle leather is a type of leather that stands out to me too, a favourite of mine. Its unique smell is indeed quite something to behold, an especially welcome trait in the face of an overwhelming production of chrome tanned and PVC resin type leathers on the market today.

I didn't know the case, as you mentioned, used by Sean Connery was the 4.5 inch version, quite hefty.

I'd be interested to see, if you'd be kind enough to show, an angle of the lid to reveal how it 'waves around slightly where the latches are connected'. Such a detail would be a nice illustration of the care put into ensuring the latches connect flush with the lock.

Revealing the edge of the leather is an interesting choice given how the bridle leather seems to be turned over the 'body' of the case. I can see the corners of the lid seem to be less burnished or turned over. An endearing quality that shows off a little of its roots in a way.

The locks, which I believe may well be liston locks, are indeed quite heavy and robust, compared to the more lightweight Cheney locks. May I ask what about the locks appears different to you as you mentioned they are 'slightly different'?

I completely agree in your preference to not seek the sideways turning of heads. I too like the simple and refined look of an attaché.

Having had the direct experience with the manufacturer, how was it? I read they can make alterations upon request...

" Most of our customers ask for a pocket here, a strap there. But we can, of course, accommodate more unusual requests from agents in the field. Often, just a small twist on a classic design can turn your attaché case into a real talking point."

Best Regards,

Matthew
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    Wonderful photos and I adore your car!

Can I ask a bit of a random question: I've always wondered why Bond's binoculars are sort of tri-noculars :) What is that middle lens for?
    emtiem wrote:
    Wonderful photos and I adore your car!

Can I ask a bit of a random question: I've always wondered why Bond's binoculars are sort of tri-noculars :) What is that middle lens for?

The binoculars have an inbuilt camera with film inserted in the box section at the back, I suspect the third lens is for the camera.
    In FYEO you can see Gonzalez has taken the film out of it next to the pool at Villa Sylva in Corfu, its on the table with the briefcase full of money (not a SAB of course)
    The case had to go back as it had an issue and I’ve just received the new one which is perfect.
    A few more detailed images of the case. It really is worth the high cost and the company is lovely to deal with. Old fashioned customer service.
    Enjoy the pics. FYEO is my movie, hence the file inside.

00582480-EE51-4-FEA-B4-CC-34317237-FB4-F.jpg

05792170-14-F6-4-C15-9372-06-E782-D02-D93.jpg

1604-DB2-C-301-F-4240-B5-F3-7-BC55-CA112-B8.jpg

1-D450040-8-F2-F-4-BEB-BA87-3-A666-BB259-D5.jpg

1-E12-E131-DCB9-4-B06-BFF3-0-F31-A07-FF533.jpg

42-EB20-EF-22-C3-4-AF1-A2-AF-D67940-D02-AC6.jpg

4-AAF1-AED-F2-C7-4277-8-D15-C1255-DCE6-BB5.jpg

757-FE18-C-8106-454-F-A4-FC-58241214-A310.jpg

8-C6-D2525-8-DDA-498-C-820-A-106-B882-C7-A6-B.jpg

9-DFD3896-F272-4876-9-C41-CA292-F6716-E1.jpg

9-FF96-F22-EE28-4737-B412-DE7900-C1-DB0-D.jpg

C94-D9614-6073-4335-82-A1-6-BF0-F52-FCDDE.jpg

ED14515-C-5-F7-A-4-F34-88-E8-B7-FC9-F716303.jpg

FD9-A4-B08-D4-DB-4-A78-97-E3-A93622-F78707.jpg
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent
    Just beautiful.
  • Remmert007Remmert007 Posts: 232MI6 Agent
    Lex Templar, thanks so much for sharing the photos and detailed description of this beautiful case, a true Bond item from the original company. I have linked to this Forum thread from the Swaine Adeney Brigg page on the website Bond Lifestyle as I think it gives a good and current update on this case.

The Lotus is also amazing, please keep us posted on that one as well, perhaps you can continue your old 2012 thread or start a new one with pictures and details of the Lotus?
    BOND LIFESTYLE
    JamesBondLifestyle.com | Instagram | Facebook | Twitter

You only live once, live like Bond!

A nice addition to the case..

• Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent

I love the case, but equally love the Daniela Bianchi photo - been after one of these for a while, where did you get yours please?

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • thespyboys11thespyboys11 Lindenwold,NJPosts: 1,844MI6 Agent

Smithers500. Just sent you a PM   ---Ed