The not so short lived non argumentative political thread.

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote ; " if anybody feels that that is a kind of abuse - well - boo-hoo" :D

I think we've for our contender for next years Nobel peace prize :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    I like peace. I like it very much, and I am sure I'm not alone in that.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    Yes, peace is usually preferable.

About Biden's son I think there is no doubt what the Ukrainian oil company's intention were when they hired him - it was because of his father (I wrote "farther" at first :)) ). Hopefully Hunter was also aware of this and knew where the limits were. But none of that really matters. The only thing that matters is if Biden senior gave the oil company any unfair advatages. I can't say that's been proven.

The way Trump handled this was typically him: he didn't know or care how these cases are handled. If he suspected his main political rival's son was inviolved in corruption a president should contact his minister of justice or the FBI director and suggest Americans involved in corruption in Ukraine should be investigated. Do not mention any names! What Trump did was sending his personal lawyer to dig up dirt spesifically on Hunter Biden. Trump doesn't know what not to do legally about political oponents. Four years ago he asked Russia (let's be real, that's Russian secret service) to help him dig up dirt about Hillary.
    Now he asks his lawyer to find dirt on his oponents son. This why Trump gets impeached so often. A president can't ask foreign nations to help him in an election and he can't start a private investigation against his rival's son.
    https://youtu.be/o67vWrkWUAQ

Just for Barbel {[]
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    (Or, if you're feeling silly)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3-5Q_dRJDQ
    :)) :)) :))

And Trump hasn't started any wars (phew!) unlike the last Republican who was president, so I'll give him that.
    https://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/2017/01/18/commentary/world-commentary/obama-war-peace/
    An interesting piece ( Peace ) on the last Democratic President and his, .... record on War :D
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    :)) :)) :))

And Trump hasn't started any wars (phew!) unlike the last Republican who was president, so I'll give him that.

As long as Trump can assist Russia or Turkey he's a regular surrender monkey. Just look at Syria.
    I agree on most of the article in the link and I also agree with Geir Lundestad when he wrote the Obama peace prize was a mistake.
    but I have couple of comments. I don't know of any US orchestrating of an Islamist insurgency in Benghazi city. Are there any sources on that?
    The bombing of Libya was a huge mistake, but at least he had the wisdom of not putting any US boots on Libyan soil. The US invasion of Iraq was probably the worst single decision of any US president since WWII. Among many other nagative effects the Iraqi invasion indirectly created ISIS.
    Trump is actually bringing troops home -{ ...... I guess he'll be blamed for that too :D
    "That bloody warmonger not starting any wars and bringing Soldiers home again
    Damn if only we had a peace loving president "
    Of course! When he pulled US troops out of northern Iraq he stabbed the Kurds, the best allies in the area, in the back and did a huge favour to Assad, Putin and ISIS. He didn't even give his allies a fair warning.
    Interesting that you want more troops in the middle east ? with more western Interference in
    the running of other countries ........ because that has worked out so well in the past....and of
    course you ignore his Peace work, for which he was Nominated for some countries Peace prize. :p
    The US involvement in northern Iraq was minimal, at least in terms of taking part in direct warfare. The Kurds did most of the fighting and they did it well. The US army mostly did training and supply of the Kurds and US casualties wer every low. But then Trump pulled out of the region with no warning to the Kurds - one day they were there and the next they were gone. Then the enemies of the united states moved in and there was a lot more fighting, so much the Kurds couldn't watch the prisons where the ISIS was held and many escaped. I wanted the US to stay in order to keep the fighting to a minimum and the ISIS locked up
    I just found out there are more things going on in the world going on right now than the US election and some of them are not even Trump's fault! :o :o :o
    For example a teacher was decapitated in France the other day because he used a cariicature of Muhamed as a teaching aid. Nine people are arrested for this horrible crime. There is no doubt there are elements of the immigrant population in France who cannot accept they are living in a country with free speech and a few prefer to use extreme violence if France isn't the way they want it to be. I hope France and other countries with similar problems find a solution to this problem.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited October 2020
    I am often amazed how short the memory span is when populists make their simplistic claims!
    Question is, if they are really that stupid and uneducated or if they are simply taking their ( insert some of your favorite insults) audience for a ride with that stupidity!

„Fun“ Facts:
    In Obama‘s 8 years, he ordered 542 (BBC quoted below says 1878) drone strikes
    In Trump‘s first 2 years, Trump ordered 2243 drone strikes * and Trump ordered that stats about victims and collaterals are not being published.

When we are comparing those numbers with GWB, we must keep in mind, that

- drone technology made incredible progress in the years after GWB
    - GWB had „ boots on the ground“ to execute missions against islamists, so drone strikes were not his only tools. He had alternatives.

And while we are on it, let‘s not forget the purpose of those drone strikes:

After GWB set the entire near/middle East on fire, islamists such as ISIS, Taliban and others went into the gaps and the mission was to take them out without really having troops there.

Not taking any action would have resulted in an Islamist califate of a large scale over many countries with probably millions of enslaved people ( think of the jesidians ) and millions of fatalities.

So, just counting the numbers of drone strikes as an indicator how „ peaceful“ a US president really is - is just propaganda
    Life always is a bit more complex than how it‘s drawn out in right wing echochambers who try to appear „peace angels“ - they are not!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drone_strikes_in_Pakistan

* https://worldbeyondwar.org/u-s-drone-strikes-gone-432-since-trump-took-office/
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47480207
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    edited October 2020
    An „interesting“ factcheck about Japantimes because I‘ve stumbled over the closing sentence

>> Rarely before has a president assumed office in a major democracy with the deep state and mainstream media so unwelcoming to him. If critics succeed in crimping Trump’s presidency, Obama’s legacy will look better than the actual record.<<

It stroke me as a pathetic and obvious attempt from a 5th grader trying to insert some right wing propaganda into a political opinion piece:

2017 verkaufte Nifco die Japan Times an News2u Holdings. Die neuen Eigentümer säuberten alsbald die Redaktion von unliebsamen Kolumnisten, darunter Jeff Kingston von der Temple University Tokyo und Yamaguchi Jiro von der Hōsei-Universität, beide Kritiker der Regierung von Shinzo Abe.

Am 30. November 2018 kündigte die Japan Times an, Sprachregelungen der politischen Rechten Japans zu übernehmen

Translation:“ 2017, Nifco sold the Japan Times to News2u Holdings. The new owners cleaned immediately the editorial staff from inconvenient columnists - such as .... both critics of Mr. Abe‘s government“

„On 30th November 2019, The Japan Times announced, that they will adapt terms and wordings from the political right in Japan“

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Japan_Times

edited October 2020
    deleted by myself
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    I am often amazed that the populists of the left fail to acknowledge that their populism is every bit as simplistic as that of their counterparts on the right!
    It also amazes me that they even fail to acknowledge the existence of their 'social populism' and that, like all populism, it is designed to prey on the most stupid of society!
    You're right in saying leftist populism can be every bit as stupid as the one on the right. The rioting and burning done for months by far left activist is a good example. Burning down their own neighbourhoods and cities is both illegal and litterally destructive, not to mention the only ones benefiting is the Trump campaign.

But conspiracy theories (often re-tweeted by Trump) and anti-science propaganda usually comes from the right.
    Like the Conspiracy theory about Trump
    And Putin the Democrats have been selling for years now ?
    Absolutely all Right wing theories. :D

By the way great to have you back
    Joshua, nice to hear a sensible voice
    Now and again. {[]
    That's not a conspiracy theory. Trump really did ask Russia to help him dig up dirt about Hillary for the election. Russia did help his campaign, and all US inteligence services and the Mueller report made that very clear.
    That‘s funny.

I take a piece of populist propaganda and explain broadly with sources, historical context and so on why it is just a shallow propagandist piece of populism.

And the reply from the other side is just: There is also left populism.
    That is exactly the state of the political discussion and it reminds me of:

>>there were bad people - on both sides <<

8-)

Wow N24, I'm surprised the Democrats
    Haven't tried to impeach Trump with
    All this evidence. ... They couldn't possibly fail, ..... could they ? :))
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    You're right in saying leftist populism can be every bit as stupid as the one on the right. The rioting and burning done for months by far left activist is a good example. Burning down their own neighbourhoods and cities is both illegal and litterally destructive, not to mention the only ones benefiting is the Trump campaign.

But conspiracy theories (often re-tweeted by Trump) and anti-science propaganda usually comes from the right.

I agree. Right and left wing populists are both as stupid as each other and rely on the very same tactics to agitate and try to gain power. I wasn't referring to conspiracy theories though, but I understand your point and agree to a certain point, but I believe that too is used in equal measure by both sides of the populist bandwagen and not by the right wing populists alone.
    Wow N24, I'm surprised the Democrats
    Haven't tried to impeach Trump with
    All this evidence. ... They couldn't possibly fail, ..... could they ? :))

You know they impeached him. But the Republicans in the Senate voted it down, even though Trump is the only president in the history of the USA who has had a senator ofhis own party voting for his impeachment. Trump won the impeachment (sort of) because of politics, not evidence.

Mueller's Report Shows All The Ways Russia Interfered In 2016 Presidential Election
    https://www.npr.org/2019/04/18/714810702/muellers-report-shows-all-the-ways-russia-interfered-in-2016-presidential-electi
    You'll always find a Benedict Arnold ;)
    Or a John Adams
    Number24 wrote:

You know they impeached him. But the Republicans in the Senate voted it down, even though Trump is the only president in the history of the USA who has had a senator ofhis own party voting for his impeachment. Trump won the impeachment (sort of) because of politics, not evidence.

Mueller's Report Shows All The Ways Russia Interfered In 2016 Presidential Election
    https://www.npr.org/2019/04/18/714810702/muellers-report-shows-all-the-ways-russia-interfered-in-2016-presidential-electi

Thank you! Exactly this!

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/373363-democratic-ties-to-russia-are-ample-and-often-ethically-dubious
    Democratic ties to Russia are ample, and often ethically dubious :))

Pot and Kettle springs to mind ;)
This discussion has been closed.