No Time to Die delayed until October 8th, 2021

Comments

• AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent
    JTBond wrote:
    I've tried to get one measly poster from 7 different cinemas and no one will part with one.

Yeah, noticed that, too. Apparently they‘re advised to keep them all and put stickers of the new release date over them.

Atm, we‘re having a sticker over the sticker over the initial release date... :D
    The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,702MI6 Agent
    "An extensive study undertaken by Celluloid Junkie has found that not a single outbreak of COVID-19 anywhere across the globe can be traced to a cinema, multiplex or public screening venue."

https://celluloidjunkie.com/2020/10/19/cj-analysis-the-number-of-covid-19-outbreaks-traced-to-cinemas-is-zero/
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    Sometimes, I think there is more of a delay when trying to log on to AJB or move to different pages on the forum than there is with NTTD!
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Sorry you're still having that problem, Joshua.
  • JTBondJTBond Posts: 112MI6 Agent
    Ahh, sounds like if we wait long enough they'll be 3D lol
    JTBond wrote:
    I've tried to get one measly poster from 7 different cinemas and no one will part with one.

Yeah, noticed that, too. Apparently they‘re advised to keep them all and put stickers of the new release date over them.

Atm, we‘re having a sticker over the sticker over the initial release date... :D
  • AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent
    JTBond wrote:
    Ahh, sounds like if we wait long enough they'll be 3D lol
    JTBond wrote:

At some point, the cardboard standees will likely fall over due to the weight... :D
    The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
  • BlindManBaldwinBlindManBaldwin Posts: 105MI6 Agent
    https://twitter.com/drewmcweeny/status/1319422365378359296?s=21

Well, I sure hope this isn't the case.

> I can't get my head around the idea that we may well see James Bond debut on Apple TV+ or Netflix. The numbers I've been hearing the last few days are I N S A N E...

> There is serious pressure on MGM to sell the film to a streaming service. And there are some MONSTER offers on the table already.

If it keeps the franchise alive, I guess. But it'd be a bummer if this film debuts on Netflix or AppleTV. Would hate to have to pirate the last Craig film until it comes out on physical media.
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Just one random guy on Twitter making statements based on nothing. “I’ve been hearing”...pfft 8-)
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent
    JTM wrote:
    Just one random guy on Twitter making statements based on nothing. “I’ve been hearing”...pfft 8-)

Agreed. I remember when Drew McWeeny was Moriarty from Aint It Cool News back in the 90s. He does have sources, but at most I'd consider the tweets rumor at best. It certainly didn't take long for that thread to descend into the patented Twitter ridiculousness with MovieBob's replies.
  • johnraidersjohnraiders Posts: 97MI6 Agent
    If any streaming then Apple gets my vote, best picture and sound easily compared to the others.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,737MI6 Agent
    If any streaming then Apple gets my vote, best picture and sound easily compared to the others.

The problem with Apple is accessibility for a lot of people. For example, I have a brand new Sony 4K TV . It's a smart TV but uses Android so while I can stream Netflix, Amazon, etc I can't download Apple TV w/o another device such as a Roku, etc. My guess if it were to come to a non-theatrical release, it would be more likely VOD available through multiple sources. I would also guess that Universal, which is owned by Comcast would not be very keen on Apple TV getting their hands on NTTD.
  • SpectreOfDefeatSpectreOfDefeat Posts: 404MI6 Agent
    I'd much prefer to see NTTD in a cinema ahead of all other options, but if the worst comes to the worst I'd reluctantly settle for streaming. I think some kind of staggered release could work (cinema in those countries that have the capability to do it, and streaming for other territories that can't). Would this solution be at all plausible? What do others think?

"The spectre of defeat..."

• _Stocks_Stocks EnglandPosts: 391MI6 Agent
    "MGM was at least open to the possibility of unloading their crown jewel for a princely sum. The studio was said to be looking for a deal of roughly $600 million"

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/james-bond-no-time-to-die-netflix-apple-1234814809/
    Murder | Employment.
    After reading the latest story on MI6 I continue to have some real questions regarding this will actually happen. The MI6 story ties the sale of the North American rights to NTTD in with the potential sale of MGM (I know, here we go again with MGM being a major thorn in the side of EON and James Bond). First of all, the numbers being bandied about (250 Million) for the rights are miniscule compared to what a Craig Bond film could potentially do at the box office if and when theaters can ever reopen to full capacity. While what is allegedly being discussed are the North American rights to NTTD, the idea of the film being shown on a pay service such as Apple TV surely must not sit well with Universal who has the international distribution rights (and is owned by pay cable giant COMCAST). With the film showing on a streaming/pay service, the potential for piracy could be staggering.
    I can see a huge potential here for this to end up in court depending on what MGM attempts to do....which unfortunately is a Bond tradition.
    Looks like MGM wanted it, but EON/Universal said no. Good.
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,446MI6 Agent
    I try to avoid making predictions. I also think it's important to remember that there are forces at work in the technology and entertainment industries that even the players can't yet grasp. Bob Chapek, CEO of DISNEY (which owns Marvel, Pixar, and Star Wars), just announced that the biggest entertainment company in the world would be reorganizing itself around streaming and in-home content. This transformation might have been coming anyway but this is an area where Covid-19 is already making massive changes to our lived experiences. People who expect a "return to normal" after a vaccine becomes available — if a vaccine becomes available — might consider checking their assumptions. Maybe NTTD will premiere in theaters in April. Or maybe we'll be watching it a month from now on Apple+. I won't be surprised by either scenario. Or by another scenario beyond my ability to imagine.
  • Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond +++ Classified +++Posts: 569MI6 Agent
    The name's Bond_James_Bond

Ugh DailyMail...that whole article is based on one person’s speculative tweet 8-)
    https://deadline.com/2020/10/james-bond-no-time-to-die-streamer-talks-died-quickly-1234602960/ Deadline article says that, as of now, Broccoli rejected it

But who knows
    https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/jhj6nv/after_various_reports_and_speculation_it_appears/

Someone on Reddit just posted this ad. Looks to be fake, but who knows anymore.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/jhj6nv/after_various_reports_and_speculation_it_appears/

Clearly a fake. The ad starts with "An Apple Original Film", which NTTD obviously isn't.
    JTM wrote:

Clearly a fake. The ad starts with "An Apple Original Film", which NTTD obviously isn't.

Well if Apple purchased it, it would have been. I agree it's fake. Fun seeing fake ads and stuff again — it's like the hype machine never ended!
    JTM wrote:

Well if Apple purchased it, it would have been.
    I don't think that's how it works. Apple Originals are original content created specifically for distribution by Apple, not previously created content that Apple has just purchased the distribution rights for.
  • SeanIsTheOnlyOneSeanIsTheOnlyOne Posts: 402MI6 Agent
    That will NEVER happen. EON won’t hesitate to push it back year after year if it would appear necessary to them. The global situation is terrible. To be honest, my expectations about this movie have never been so low since the second delay. The last time I had such a feeling was just after I watched QoS trailer.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    JTM wrote:

Ugh DailyMail...that whole article is based on one person’s speculative tweet 8-)

That’s true...just shows you how stupid - and desperate - some people/organisations are for content...it’s laughable 8-)
    YNWA 97
    This is all speculation at this point and from questionable sources. Bond, especially in the Brit Tabs is always fodder for rumors and speculation and typically negative rumors and speculation. The British Tabs seem to have a love/hate relationship with Bond these days.
    Rather than just looking at NTTD, I think we need to look at the bigger picture and it doesn't appear that the other studios are going to any VOD or pay services at this point with their big tentpole releases but still pushing theatrical release dates back in hope of better days in the future. I think we should have learned that it is very difficult to make assumptions about the financial situations of producers, studios, etc. The assumption amongst some is that EON (maybe because they are relatively small) is some sort of poor relation but it appears that is not the case. EON's business (aside from the odd release here and there) is probably not nearly as leveraged as other bigger studios and always has a steady flow of Bond income (home video, pay and free TV licensing, etc). As usual, it appears MGM is more the culprit here. Also, remember there are contracts with Universal, etc for distribution. If MGM acts on their own and attempts to cut a deal that EON and Universal (and always remember Universal is owned by COMCAST) does not believe to be in their best interests, it will all end up in court for heaven only knows how long.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Gymkata wrote:
    That will NEVER happen. EON won’t hesitate to push it back year after year if it would appear necessary to them. The global situation is terrible. To be honest, my expectations about this movie have never been so low since the second delay. The last time I had such a feeling was just after I watched QoS trailer.

at some point, they'll need to see a return on investment. not releasing it in fiscal year 2020 may really cost them in terms of accounting. remember, they lost their shirts on THE RHYTHM SECTION. at some point, the bill comes due. I would not be surprised if they're under a ton of pressure to make the best deal that they can for 2020 to remain solvent.

as to Barbara nixing it, I wouldn't give that too much weight. she could just be negotiating via the press.

This apparently isn't a concern. Someone here (I forgot who) said that they're able to postpone the release until a time when they think they can make the most money. It's why they've postponed it again and didn't need to make this deal, otherwise they could have released it at home next month.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent
    Eon/Danjaq doesn't have investors. They don't have to report to anyone, and they're clearly not broke. They're the big x factor in this conversation, because none of these agreed-upon truths about shareholders, ROI and turning a profit in a fiscal year pertain to them. It's the wild west right now.
  • rennervisionrennervision Posts: 106MI6 Agent
    Now I know why EON stands for Everything or Nothing.