New James Bond?!

JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
This is being reported but I have not seen anything here on AJB (I did not take time to look hard though).

"No Time to Die's Lashana Lynch confirms her character will replace James Bond as 007. There's been a lot of speculation that Lashana Lynch's No Time To Die character, MI6 agent Nomi, would be Bond's replacement as 007 – and now the star herself has confirmed the news."

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/film/2020-11-04/lashana-lynch-bond-007-no-time-to-die-news/

If this is in deed true, how will it work? She cannot be James Bond so her character from NTTD will simply take the 007 number.

As far as I am concerned, none of the villians James Bond has fought have managed to kill him, but the producers will.

She will simply be another 'action hero' like many others who are on films. I think this is a tragedy and I will certainly make sure that NTTD will be the last new 007 film I watch.

uztklcbhtkanrheiylqj.png

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    If true, I'll be classed as a classic Bond fan, as I don't do " Chick flicks " ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    It’s old news. Bond has retired so his designation has been assigned to another person. But the press and bloggers have run away with it and now people are speculating that the next film will have 007 as a woman. LL doesn’t do herself any favours by constantly exclaiming that it’s groundbreaking as she’s the first black female 007. That shouldn’t matter, and doing that has alienated loads of people now, and have them speculating on how the film has gone too WOKE. And we know how films that get that label do at the box office 8-)
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    The reports I have seen are all from this week. The Radio Times article where she confirms she has got the 007 job is only two days old.

Would she confirm if it is not true? But I find it strange that there has been no official announcement? Again I quote from that article:

"No Time to Die's Lashana Lynch confirms her character will replace James Bond as 007. There's been a lot of speculation that Lashana Lynch's No Time To Die character, MI6 agent Nomi, would be Bond's replacement as 007 – and now the star herself has confirmed the news."

We have seen the end of the James Bond films if it indeed true. As I said I won't be watching it as it will be just another action spy film like all the others.
    Yeah, it’s blown up this week because of her interview in Esquire. But it’s something we’d guessed a good year back now.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    There is no „official announcement“ because she won‘t be the next Bond!

As Asp9mm said, this is old news, she‘s getting the 007 designation because Bond is on retirement.
    I guess at the beginning, EON loved to play with that misconception to get some headlines but it seems that it‘s more and more backfiring on them.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    edited November 2020
    Joshua wrote:
    The reports I have seen are all from this week. The Radio Times article where she confirms she has got the 007 job is only two days old.

Would she confirm if it is not true? But I find it strange that there has been no official announcement? Again I quote from that article:

We have seen the end of the James Bond films if it indeed true. As I said I won't be watching it as it will be just another action spy film like all the others.

No it won't: she's replaced the character of James Bond as 007 in this film, that's all. It doesn't mean she's the new star of the Bond films. Is that what you think is going on?
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Yeah, it’s blown up this week because of her interview in Esquire. But it’s something we’d guessed a good year back now.

Harper's Bazaar isn't it? Not Esquire.

The weird thing is they don't seem to have a quote from her where she does actually confirm it.
    Higgins wrote:

As Asp9mm said, this is old news, she‘s getting the 007 designation because Bond is on retirement.
    I guess at the beginning, EON loved to play with that misconception to get some headlines but it seems that it‘s more and more backfiring on them.

Which is rubbish of course because they haven't officially announced it; they've danced around it continuously by describing her as 'a new double 0 agent'. You can hardly play on a misconception if you haven't mentioned it at all. That's literally what the article linked to at the top of the page is about: them never saying it.
    Asp9mm wrote:
    LL doesn’t do herself any favours by constantly exclaiming that it’s groundbreaking as she’s the first black female 007.

She's never said that. But facts don't matter I guess, stop the count and all that.
    The problem is with these gimmicky woke things is that it’s a cheap writing cop out just to tick a box. Why can’t they write a strong character in their own right without resorting to these intentionally controversial tricks. People are getting fed up with it. It should never be about colour. Casting a white male in the role of a none James Bond 007 would have been equally as controversial, so saying the backlash is because she’s a black female is just as wrong as people who actually do complain that she’s a black female. It’s all a nonsense, and further alienates people on both sides of the fence, and those that couldn’t give a damn. As we have seen with this increasing trend, it backfires and box office attendance drops significantly without people giving the film a chance. This film already has major problems, and it’s not going to get any better.
    emtiem wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

Which is rubbish of course because they haven't officially announced it; they've danced around it continuously by describing her as 'a new double 0 agent'. You can hardly play on a misconception if you haven't mentioned it at

rubbish, really??

You seem to confirm it exactly like I‘ve said.
    The shallow news sources made it exactly sound like she was the new 007 and EON did almost nothing to correct it.
    Because every news is good news - what else should media spin their headlines from besides „The new 007 is a black woman“ and collect all the clicks.

emtiem wrote:
    Joshua wrote:

No it won't: she's replaced the character of James Bond as 007 in this film, that's all. It doesn't mean she's the new star of the Bond films. Is that what you think is going on?

'She's replaced the character of James Bond'? That means no James Bond in the film (unless Bond is assigned another number as she would be 007)?

Tell us where you think will James Bond fit into this if the new 007 is this a woman?

Just one point. If the statement in the link isn't true why would she confirm it? Is it actually true, is she lying or is it some kind of publicity stunt?
    the emphasis is on „ as 007“ - you should read and quote sentences in full

Asp9mm wrote:
    The problem is with these gimmicky woke things is that it’s a cheap writing cop out just to tick a box.

We're just ignoring that you're making stuff up then?
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Why can’t they write a strong character in their own right without resorting to these intentionally controversial tricks. People are getting fed up with it. It should never be about colour. Casting a white male in the role of a none James Bond 007 would have been equally as controversial, so saying the backlash is because she’s a black female is just as wrong as people who actually do complain that she’s a black female.

Who's said the backlash is because she's black? I wonder why you've brought that up.
    Asp9mm wrote:
    It’s all a nonsense, and further alienates people on both sides of the fence, and those that couldn’t give a damn.

You can't really alienate people who don't give a damn, because they don't give a damn. I don't understand what you're feeling alienated over.
    Higgins wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

Which is rubbish of course because they haven't officially announced it; they've danced around it continuously by describing her as 'a new double 0 agent'. You can hardly play on a misconception if you haven't mentioned it at

rubbish, really??

You seem to confirm it exactly like I‘ve said.

Er... no: I confirmed it the opposite of how you said. Keep up.
    Higgins wrote:
    The shallow news sources made it exactly sound like she was the new 007 and EON did almost nothing to correct it.
    Well it seems 99% likely she is 007 in this movie; why would they correct it? You make no sense.
    I think you should stop twisting people’s sentences to start an argument. It’s not going to work here.
    Joshua wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    Joshua wrote:

'She's replaced the character of James Bond'? That means no James Bond in the film (unless Bond is assigned another number as she would be 007)?

You think James Bond isn't in this film? I don't know what to say to you.
    Joshua wrote:
    Tell us where you think will James Bond fit into this if the new 007 is this a woman?

Watch the trailer, it'll give you a hint.
    Joshua wrote:
    Just one point. If the statement in the link isn't true why would she confirm it? Is it actually true, is she lying or is it some kind of publicity stunt?

I'm not sure who you think is saying the headline isn't true.

Blimey, this is a strange thread.
    edited November 2020
    Asp9mm wrote:
    I think you should stop twisting people’s sentences to start an argument. It’s not going to work here.

I'm not twisting anything and I don't know what you're referring to: you can claim she's constantly said all sorts of things when she plainly hasn't, but that won't work because it's lying.
    edited November 2020
    67-E35750-F5-B0-4391-BC4-A-BB0408-ECDF7-B.png
    Asp9mm wrote:
    What concerns me most is that she’s wearing a tropical dial vintage seamaster too. How’s that work? Why has hers got a worn tropical dial? Are the MOD artificially ageing watches now? And for what reason?
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    emtiem wrote:

Blimey, this is a strange thread.

I totally agree.

Everyone: my brain is too small to grasp everything that's going on here, but I can see this heading in unpleasant directions. Please, try to avoid that or I will close the thread.
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:
    What concerns me most is that she’s wearing a tropical dial vintage seamaster too. How’s that work? Why has hers got a worn tropical dial? Are the MOD artificially ageing watches now? And for what reason?

Well Omega helped create a special version Speedmaster for the French Police’s RAID team...

https://www.watchprozine.com/omega/omega-speedmaster-raid-limited-edition-/11204816/

...so maybe it’s a special version for SIS :))
  • JellyfishJellyfish EnglandPosts: 462MI6 Agent
    Joshua, my understanding of what happens in the film is this (highlight the black area to reveal the text):
    Bond resigns from MI6 and leaves Britain to live in Jamaica. His 007 number, which is pretty much just a job title, is given to the person who is recruited to replace him: Nomi, played by Lashana Lynch. She then has the 007 number, which is why people have been saying she is the new 007. However, she is a different character to James Bond. At some point in the film, Bond returns to MI6 and works alongside Nomi. I don't know if he gets his 007 number back.

That's what I read in the spoiler thread in the No Time To Die section, but I stopped reading it months ago, so it may have changed.
  • JellyfishJellyfish EnglandPosts: 462MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Casting a white male in the role of a none James Bond 007 would have been equally as controversial...

I think something like this could make for a decent story. If Bond is replaced with a person who is very similar to him (same background, job experience etc.), we could get the same sort of chemistry that we had with Red Grant, Scaramanga and Alec Trevelyan: someone who is very similar but there's some aspect to the character that makes it interesting. And they would be on the same side too, rather than the adversarial nature of the relationships with the three characters I mentioned. Like Felix Leiter, but even closer.
    I think it's a bit more interesting and fun to have him replaced by a woman, though. He's not quite a sexist but he is a touch misogynistic perhaps, and there's more drama in putting people who are different together rather than people who are similar.

I just don't get how anyone could be offended by it though. It's like that episode of Star Trek where Picard got replaced as the captain of the Starship Enterprise by a new guy for a week or two: I can't imagine anyone was saying they'll never watch Trek again because one of the characters changed job for a bit, it's just a storyline and it's just a job title. As Barbel said, it's very hard to grasp, and it's not helped by people saying things that simply aren't true.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    emtiem wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Why can’t they write a strong character in their own right without resorting to these intentionally controversial tricks. People are getting fed up with it. It should never be about colour. Casting a white male in the role of a none James Bond 007 would have been equally as controversial, so saying the backlash is because she’s a black female is just as wrong as people who actually do complain that she’s a black female.

Who's said the backlash is because she's black? I wonder why you've brought that up.

I’m not sure why you persist in constantly trying to provoke an argument where there clearly isn’t one? ?:)

Did you actually READ the bit you quoted or did you decide to stop at the word black and dismiss the word female...?…because if you did then I wonder why you decided to ignore that... :o

I’m more than happy to hear your views on this via PM -{
    YNWA 97
    I was replying to his assertion that "It should never be about colour"- I asked why he thought it was about colour or who had mentioned it. Is that unreasonable? I can't see anyone else in this thread mentioning her colour.

And my previous post right above yours mentioned her gender, yes.
    edited November 2020
    She mentioned it. As have all the articles we are talking about.

BC66-FED1-F54-B-46-F9-ACA3-787-A9-F0-CB666.png
    Jellyfish wrote:
    Joshua, my understanding of what happens in the film is this (highlight the black area to reveal the text):
    Bond resigns from MI6 and leaves Britain to live in Jamaica. His 007 number, which is pretty much just a job title, is given to the person who is recruited to replace him: Nomi, played by Lashana Lynch. She then has the 007 number, which is why people have been saying she is the new 007. However, she is a different character to James Bond. At some point in the film, Bond returns to MI6 and works alongside Nomi. I don't know if he gets his 007 number back.

That's what I read in the spoiler thread in the No Time To Die section, but I stopped reading it months ago, so it may have changed.

Thank you.
    edited November 2020
    Just to be clear to one person and with the assumption that my posts were also unclear to others, I was - and am - not speaking about NTTD, but who will take over from Craig in the next film.

I have already said before in other discussions that I have never seen or read any anything about NTTD (until Jellyfish's post!) because I didn't want to know anything about it until I saw it. Thierefore I did not know that Lashana Lynch is in that film!

It appears I have been mixed up in reading the article. To repeat, what I said is in respect not to NTTD but the next film - where (I believed) some one had been announced as 007 in the next film, not NTTD!

I thought it was strange that there was no official announcement!

Apologies for my mix up!
    edited November 2020
    Asp9mm wrote:
    She mentioned it. As have all the articles we are talking about.

BC66-FED1-F54-B-46-F9-ACA3-787-A9-F0-CB666.png

Nobody here has any issue with that though, do they? But if she's said that she's seen that other people have targeted her over her colour and gender are we best-placed to say she's wrong?
    What she certainly hasn't been doing is "constantly exclaiming that it’s groundbreaking as she’s the first black female 007". She doesn't even do it in that article, even though it states that she does. I guess we'll have to read the full piece.

If the issue is really that some folks can't accept that within the fiction of the piece '007' is a job title which can be given to other people, and nothing to do with her colour or gender (despite how claims from some about 'chic flicks' might suggest the opposite) then I'd say they need to take a step back- nothing is being taken away, it's just a story. Clark Kent gave up being Superman in Superman II for a while, it's just part of the story.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Just so long as she's around six foot tall ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    emtiem wrote:
    I was replying to his assertion that "It should never be about colour"- I asked why he thought it was about colour or who had mentioned it. Is that unreasonable? I can't see anyone else in this thread mentioning her colour.

It’s entirely unreasonable in the WAY in which you ask it - and you know damn well it is.

You are twisting his words to fit YOUR agenda. Simple as…and I’ve no idea why ?:) it’s getting tiresome and boring.
    emtiem wrote:
    And my previous post right above yours mentioned her gender, yes.

Did I mention MY post? Again you dodge the question posed and again I have to ask “why?”...

Please respond via PM and let this thread carry on without further disruption...
    YNWA 97