Dr No Commentaries

Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
How many different commentaries are there for Dr. No? I know the DVD/Blu-ray commentary with Terence Young clips and cast members. I also know of the Criterion Collection Laserdisc commentary. I can only find these two, but I recall Terence Young talking about a few things that I can't find on either one of those two. Is there another commentary?
Visit my blog, Bond Suits

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    I believe the Criterion commentary exists in two versions, the later one being edited, though that was a long time ago (before it was married) and I may be misremembering. Perhaps that may explain it?
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    I believe the Criterion commentary exists in two versions, the later one being edited, though that was a long time ago (before it was married) and I may be misremembering. Perhaps that may explain it?

Perhaps that's it, though there might be something else I'm thinking of that isn't a commentary.
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,227MI6 Agent
    @barbel: Correct, the Criterion Laser Disc of Dr. No has two different audio commentaries by director Terrance Young. The first version that was pressed had some very un-filtered comments by Young. He made critical remarks about the productions, swore and said some potentially libelous stuff about people who worked on the films. “Cubby” Broccoli hadn't heard these stories before they were released but was upset when he found out. He immediately ordered all unsold stock to be recalled, and the Criterion Laserdiscs of Dr. No, From Russia With Love, and Goldfinger were later reissued with shorter audio commentaries that did not contain the scandalous stories from Young and Guy Hamilton.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    PPK 7.65mm wrote:
    @barbel: Correct, the Criterion Laser Disc of Dr. No has two different audio commentaries by director Terrance Young. The first version that was pressed had some very un-filtered comments by Young. He made critical remarks about the productions, swore and said some potentially libelous stuff about people who worked on the films. “Cubby” Broccoli hadn't heard these stories before they were released but was upset when he found out. He immediately ordered all unsold stock to be recalled, and the Criterion Laserdiscs of Dr. No, From Russia With Love, and Goldfinger were later reissued with shorter audio commentaries that did not contain the scandalous stories from Young and Guy Hamilton.

I've heard those. They're fascinating to listen to, but it feels really awkward knowing that someone was stupid enough to release them in that form.