Last film seen...

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Watched Goldfinger last night -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,763MI6 Agent
    A thought just occured to me: has any major movies (or TV series) been made about the opioid crisis, poverty in the rust belt or the problems in the agricultural midwest in the last 10-20 years?
    I watched a short documentary today on the making of " The Longest Day ".
    It was funny how like " Where Eagles Dare " it was criticised for casting
    Actors too old for the characters they were portraying. Although many of
    those same actors had actually served during the war.
    One interesting point was how Sean Connery got some of his scenes filmed
    earlier that intended as he needed to jet off to Jamaica to film a new Spy movie
    called, Dr No -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    North Sea Hijack/Ffolkes (1980)

This movie is about terrorists hijacking a supply boat and placing bombs on the boat and three oil rigs in the North Sea. Roger Moore plays Ffolks, a man who commands and trains a private commando diver unit. This isn't really an action movie as you may have expected, it's more of a tense thriller and I like it. Especially enjoyable is the fact that Moore plays against type. I quote IMDB:

Ffolkes (Sir Roger Moore) was far removed from the type of character he was known, a suave, debonair, charming, sophisticated ladies' man. If anything, Ffolkes was actually a cranky, moody, and cantankerous misogynist. He is bearded and somewhat shabbily dressed, as opposed to his previous image as clean shaven, and a dapper dresser. His affections are reserved for his cats, of which he has many, rather than women, of which he has none.

It is nice to see Roger playing someone else than an action version of himself and he gets to show his acting skills.
    (it's nice to see enough reserach was done to know Stavanger is the main petrolium insustry and supply town in Norway, sort of our Huston with a mix of oil and religion)
    North Sea Hijack another great boys own adventure {[] I have recently
    re-watched on YouTube two short silent comedies from a legendary
    Double act The two Ronnies, The Beach and The picnic :)) some
    great laughs to be had from these. -{
  • The Spy Who Never DiesThe Spy Who Never Dies UKPosts: 644MI6 Agent
    I enjoyed North Sea Hijack too.

Eddie the Eagle (2015)

Starring Taron Egerton, Hugh Jackman
    A feel good film based on the life of the British ski-jumper Eddie the Eagle, who fought against lack of support and encouragement to enter the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics.

Eddie the Eagle (2015)

A feel good film based on the life of the British ski-jumper Eddie the Eagle, who fought against lack of support and encouragement to enter the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics.

Isn't this one of the few movies where the Norwegians are the enemies? The only other example I can think of is Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet :))
    Number24 wrote:

Eddie the Eagle (2015)

Isn't this one of the few movies where the Norwegians are the enemies?

Well, I wasn't going to bring that up :)) The British Olympic panel were pretty mean to him too.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,929MI6 Agent
    edited November 2020
    Logan's Run *

Just about the last of the depressing dystopic early70s scifi movies before Star Wars reinvented the genre.

You know there's a classic spy plot underneath all the sci-fi speculation and social satire? Logan is given a secret assignment by the Central Computer, to go undercover, join the Runners and find Sanctuary, without telling the other Sandmen what he's doing, who then try to kill him like he was any other Runner.

...and theres one scene of special interest to us: the same scene Farrah Fawcett is in, by very nice coincidence! but she's not why I'm pointing this scene out.
    Logan decides to get plastic surgery at the New You plastic surgery clinic. The surgeon has Logan lie on a bed, while four lasers pivot and rotate overhead on articulated robot arms. These lasers are used to precisely reshape the flesh. While Logan is lying there, the surgeon receives a call alerting him that his latest patient is a Sandman, so tries to use these same lasers to cut the helpless Logan into little pieces, leading to a fight scene where both men are throwing each other in the path of the lasers which have gone out of control.
    The setup and fight scene look a lot like Die Another Die!
    logansrun.jpg?width=852&name=logansrun.jpg
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,929MI6 Agent
    Danger Diabolik *

As recommended upthread by Napoleon Plural and TonyDP, and a fine and tasteful recommendation it was too!

Based on a longrunning Italian comic strip (which I confess I've never read) Diabolik is not a spy but a masterthief dressed in a superhero type costume, who pulls off the most complex and visually stunning heists ever. Accompanied by his sexy ladyfriend/collaborator Eva, the two anti-heroes drive a beautiful Jaguar very fast over dangerous switchbacks while necking passionately without ever needing to watch the road, before returning to their magnificent underground lair that makes the Batcave look low-rent by comparison.

This is a rather expensive looking film, at least compared to the other cheap Italian spy-trend knockoffs I've been watching lately. Slick stylish visuals, great pacing, and an incredible Morricone soundtrack that blends psychedelic rock with John Barry-isms. And Emilio Largo himself plays the villain and has bought himself another Largo-worthy yacht.

There's lots of scenes that anticipate later Bondfilms. In particular, you know that scene in aVtaK where Zorin drops a reluctant conspirator off his dirigible, that everybody says is a repeat of Goldfinger? well there's a scene in this film that looks even more like that scene, and it's better played too!
    One year before heist film the Italian Job, this one also ends with a cliffhanger that makes Caine's final predicament look laughably simple to resolve in comparison.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find Barberella online. I suspect the two films would make a swell double-bill.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    edited November 2020
    Unfortunately I haven't been able to find Barberella online. I suspect the two films would make a swell double-bill.

FYI, Barbarella is available via Prime Instant Video so if you have that service you can check it out.

With regard to Danger Diabolik, it was actually a very low budget movie but director Mario Bava used his many tricks like hanging miniatures to extend sets and make it look way more expensive than it really was. There's a small documentary on the DVD/BluRay that goes into detail on the character and making of the movie. You can also check it out on YouTube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCHaY9ZKlac

And one other obscure Mario Bava movie I would highly recommend is Planet of the Vampires (sometimes known as Demon Planet), a surprisingly good, creepy and atmospheric sci-fi/horror movie about two spaceships that land on an alien planet where mayhem ensues. There are a lot of parts of the movie that were later copied by Alien and the ending would make Rod Serling proud. Like Danger Diabolik, Bava had to get the most out of a very limited budget and used all sorts of clever in-camera effects and techniques. It's also available on Amazon Prime Instant Video. There's a trailer on YouTube (though the narrator lays it on a bit thick):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzbEfsCNpis
    TonyDP wrote:
    With regard to Danger Diabolik, it was actually a very low budget movie but director Mario Bava used his many tricks like hanging miniatures to extend sets and make it look way more expensive than it really was. There's a small documentary on the DVD/BluRay that goes into detail on the character and making of the movie. You can also check it out on YouTube here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCHaY9ZKlac
    thanks for the link to the documentary TonyDP, that really adds to my appreciation of the movie.
    As an old Swamp Thing fan, I enjoyed seeing cartoonist Steve Bissette carefully explaining how this works visually as an authentic comic book movie experience.

and its extra amazing all those spectacular visuals were done with limited budget!
    Gotta love creative use of practical special effects.

you know I'm not sure the Diabolik comic has ever been translated into English? if it has, I've never seen a copy
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    you know I'm not sure the Diabolik comic has ever been translated into English? if it has, I've never seen a copy

According to this website it looks like some of the books were translated into English, but I've never seen them myself either.

http://www.europeancomics.net/index.html?a=o&b=Diabolik
    Kiss Me Deadly, 1955 *

Adapted from the novel by Mickey Spillane.
    Directed by Robert Aldrich
    Dark, stylish, nasty and amoral.
    All those weird camera angles and extreme contrasts of light and dark we expect from noir, but this is more like a cynical parody of the form, an evolution taken to a hopeless, even apocalyptic conclusion.

Despite a Nat King Cole tune during the (backwards scrolling!) opening credits, the score is less musical than soundcollage, with important exposition often obscured by incongruous and disturbing sound effects. At least once, the next scene's sound effect begins several camera edits before the next scene proper begins. So not just confusing, as such plots usually are, but deliberately disorientating.

Mike Hammer is a private detective on a mission of vengeance. But even though Spillane's books themselves are rather nasty, this is an even less likable version of the character. Here, Hammer is specifically a "bedroom snoop" and blackmailer, and it is implied he pimps his secretary/lover Velma to create divorce evidence and obtain other valuable information.

Exciting adventure begins when Cloris Leachman (yes, Frau Blucher and Mary Richards' landlady in her film debut), just escaped from a mental hospital, is hitch-hiking in a state of panic and a bathrobe, and picked up by our hero in his vintage corvette. Soon after she is dead, and Hammer being asked a lot of questions by the police.
    Hammer endures two separate torture scenes, and he himself doles out much sadistic violence, and not always to the bad guys. Fight scenes are pretty graphic and elaborately staged for 1955!
    Eventually it all gets a bit science fictional, seemingly transcending genre, leading to an ending thats a whole 'nother level of dark-and-depressing altogether. As if blackmail and torture weren't enough for a tuffguy detective to worry about.
    Say, remember that mysterious briefcase from Pulp Fiction? this is where it came from!

Now I never heard of director Robert Aldrich, but a quick bit of research reveals his other films are also a bit arty and disturbing, so I'm going to look for some more of his brand of weirdness!
    Cone of Silence (1960)

Bernard Lee, Peter Cushing
    Lee plays an experienced pilot who is accused of making an error when a new plane crashed. But was it his fault or was there a problem with the plane? I’ve seen a few films with Bernard Lee before he became M and I think this is one of the better ones.
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Cone of Silence (1960)

Bernard Lee, Peter Cushing
    Lee plays an experienced pilot who is accused of making an error when a new plane crashed. But was it his fault or was there a problem with the plane? I’ve seen a few films with Bernard Lee before he became M and I think this is one of the better ones.

Ahh yes, the cone of silence... :D

367-A3-F99-9-BC3-4-B15-BCC5-8282792-AE545.jpg
    :)) :)) :)) That's Smart.
    but have you seen SCTV's version of Ben Hur (1977),
    with John Candy in the title role, and Harold Ramis as his arch-rival Mazzola
    Ben+Hur+2.jpg
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,148MI6 Agent
    The Devil Rides Out (1968). A fine Hammer horror film with superlative performances from Christopher Lee, and a career best from Charles Gray. If only Gray had performed like this as Blofeld in DAF he could have been the best Blofeld of all. The film is filled with really good scenes of black magic worship, it’s a worthy transition to the screen of Dennis Wheatley’s most famous novel.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    Dracula, Prince Of Darkness (1966). This sequel to the original Hammer version of Dracula, begins with a rerun of the thrilling finale to that film, with Peter Cushing as Van Helsing using a pair of candlesticks to form a cross and reduce Dracula to dust. Unfortunately, he doesn’t appear in this one and the film is not helped by his absence. Two couples take refuge in Dracula’s castle and one of them has his throat cut, and the ensuing stream of blood revives Dracula. This is quite a good scene. Strangely, Christopher Lee doesn’t utter a word in the entire movie, he is just reduced to hissing a lot. The film is okay, but no where near the majesty of the original Hammer film, Dracula, in my opinion, the best Dracula film of all time.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I watched Netflix's new version of Rebecca. Remaking Hitchcock is always a dangerous proposition, but the case can be made that Du Maurier's novel is a classic and there's room for another take on it. Maybe, but it ain't this one--which is so devoid of menace and fear and so focused on bright period detail that it's like watching an episode of Downton Abbey. And how many times is Lily James going to play a mousy little sad-sack whose beauty is only later discovered by others? Like even when she's slumming it she isn't drop-dead gorgeous. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Over the past few days I've watched 'Game Night with Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams and In The Line Of Duty with Aaron Eckhart.

Both light hearted and watchable. Killed a few hours.I had some proper LOL moments with Game Night.
  • DrydenDryden UKPosts: 131MI6 Agent
    The Trial Of The Chicago 7

Really, really good as you’d expect from something by Aaron Sorkin. I knew nothing about this going into it but it told the story in an entertaining way and I was engrossed all the way through
    Bullshot (1983)

A fun homage and P take on the old Bulldog Drummond films. :D
    The Omega Man, 1971
    yet more postapocalyptic fun with Charlton Heston

This one is very near future, two years after humanity has been largely wiped out by a manmade virus accidentally released during a Sino-Russian border war. uh-oh...

Survivors are now mutated, blind albinos who travel in packs led by a charisimatic cult leader who blames science for what has happened to them (played by Anthony Zerbe ... he's one of ours).
    Heston appears to be the only normal human left, a research scientist who is immune because he has given himself a vaccine he himself developed but since lost.
    Now he holes up in a nice LA apartment, surrounded by his art collection and laboratory, and an arsenal of guns (of course) while the hideously mutated anti-science hordes surround his building every night hurling fireballs at his balcony window, because he is one of those damned scientists.

nahhh, couldn't happen
    Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!
    directed by Russ Meyers, 1965

I had been watching an early episode of the Man from UNCLE and was rather impressed by the actress playing that episodes evil henchwoman. Turns out her name's Tura Satana and this was her most famous work.

Three very bad girls, are driving dangerously fast across the desert in their hot rods, looking for thrills. Satana is the leader of the gang and drives a Porsche. The other two squabble constantly, failing to settle their differences even after a wet t-shirt catfight, before the gang encounters a innocent young couple out to test the speed of the boyfriends car against a stopwatch. Satana suggests a real race and things turn tragic.

Scene changes to an isolated cabin, where an old man in a wheel chair has two sons and is rumoured to also have a small fortune in cash hidden somewhere on the property. Our three heroines (and a hostage) invite themselves onto the property because they've been travelling a long way through this hot desert and are in need of a shower, but this is just a ruse for Satana's next sinister plan!
    gosh, what's going to happen next?

check out Tura Satana's biography in wikipedia: this actress led an exciting life! I don't think this movie is so much a work of fiction as Meyers managing to capture a few typical days in her life on celluloid!
    Hands Of The Ripper (1971). A Hammer production, this is the story of the daughter of Jack The Ripper. Some good atmospheric scenes in this one, as the traumatised daughter slashes her way through the movie, Eric Porter tries to understand the psychological reason behind her rampage.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Sean Connery's last film though tellingly not described as a tribute to the late actor on Film4's TV listings last night.

Now, I enjoyed this film in a low-key way just as I did in the cinema - it looks mega spectacular and Bond fans will notice a number of references, including the clay pigeon shooting on the Nautilus, as if from Thunderball. Even films that weren't Connery's such as Octopussy seem to get referenced.
    It's rubbish, however. Connery was joint producer and the woes of the film maybe got to him, just as it did on NSNA where he was forced to step in and do the work. His performance is largely phoned in and a bit weary, with no surprises.
    It's an ensemble effort but it was reworked to revolve around Connery's decreasing star wattage. The other characters offer no charm no useful backstory and unlike the Avengers the script doesn't pitch them as underdogs or outsiders so we have no reason to care, esp as their fictional characters - Dorien Grey, The Invisible Man, Captain Nemo etc - live in a fictional steampunk world.
    The script is bad but though this film put paid to Connery's film career as he grew sick of it all, you do have to wonder how he once again signed off on a movie with no decent script in place - this happened with NSNA and The Avengers. Whenever he signed on just for the money it went badly wrong - Meteor was an earlier example. Unlike Caine, he seemed unable latterly to do films for the joy of it all, in odd contrast to his decisions in the 1970s.

Still, I'd rather this film existed than didn't.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Tonight I've been enjoying " Salem's Lot " (1979) still holds up as a
    horror classic, I remember as a kid being really scared watching this
    over two nights., and it got me in to Stephen King Books.
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,238MI6 Agent
    I watched The King of Thieves last night. A load of twaddle. British heist movies are rank bad (excepting The Bank Job which at least has slick direction and a sense of humour. Sexy Beast is phenomenal, but that's more a character piece.)

On Friday I thoroughly enjoyed The Talented Mr Ripley, but it us dulling through repeat viewings. First film I saw where I recognised Matt Damon could act.