NTTD N Peal Budget alternative Commando Sweater option

While I like the N Peal Sweater, just not sure if I could fork over the money for it, especially living in Florida, but I would still like something similar.

This is far from the exact thing but LL Bean appears to have a similar Commando Sweater. It has a different neck opening and no strings but for the price I thought some collectors here might be interested.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/43324?page=commando-sweater-crewneck

228194-29398-41.jpg
Perpetually on the hunt for and WTB:
Matchless Captain Civil War Jacket size Small
Matchless Craig Blouson original ES of 700 size Small

Comments

• PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,227MI6 Agent
    @Fastball Special: Thank you for the heads up, I was looking for a budget alternative for the Commando sweater myself.
  • MikeG77MikeG77 Posts: 1,770MI6 Agent
    PPK 7.65mm wrote:
    @Fastball Special: Thank you for the heads up, I was looking for a budget alternative for the Commando sweater myself.

I've been watching this for a few months but it's always backordered!
    I know where you keep your gun!
  • Fastball SpecialFastball Special Posts: 66MI6 Agent
    PPK 7.65mm wrote:

No problem! I've been looking as well and hopefully this one will come close.
    MikeG77 wrote:
    PPK 7.65mm wrote:

I've been watching this for a few months but it's always backordered!

I noticed that and have an order in with them. It doesn't charge until it's in stock so I have no worries waiting.
  • MaverickFergMaverickFerg Posts: 31MI6 Agent
    Hi there - I'm new around here. Joined the forum after discovering The Bond Experience on YouTube - so nice to be surrounded by many like-minded Bond Fans!

Like many of you (particularly in this thread) I'm not so sure that I'm ready to spend $500 on the actual N. Peal Commando Sweater, so I'd like to pick up a "budget" alternative. I see the other options here, but I was sort of hoping for a boat neck to stay faithful to the original look (and also to "try it out" to see if I like that sort of look). I came across this, which seems like it's too good to be true for $70, but I thought I'd see if anyone else had ordered one from this place (or has even heard of them). I think I'll try picking one up - for that price, it's worth the risk of disappointment (and they take PayPal, so I feel reasonably well protected.) Thoughts?

https://www.theleathercity.com/product/no-time-to-die-james-bond-sweater/
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    Ribbed cotton with viscose lining? Weird.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Fred007Fred007 Posts: 466MI6 Agent
    I would stay away from that kind of websites...
  • JacobJacob DenmarkPosts: 294MI6 Agent
    I recommend never buying from those kinds of websites where there are no pictures of the actual product or they 'steal' the product pictures from the original manufacturer. You will find that many less honourable manufacturers in Asia capitalise on the demand for replicas of expensive James Bond-worn clothes, yet often they never show pictures of what you will actually end up with... It's a really dishonest business model that I wouldn't risk being a customer to.

:)
    While I totally agree with all of you on this being a "shady" website - the gambler in me is still willing to spend $70 to find out what "ribbed cotton with viscose lining" will actually look like. (Especially since they accept PayPal - which has always proven to be very fair and prompt with disputes.) I'm going to pull the trigger on this one and I'll let you know how it turns out when (if?) it arrives.
  • You Know My Name007You Know My Name007 Posts: 91MI6 Agent
    just buy from a surplus store a royal navy commando pullover ( cost about 25 pounds ) cut the lappels off and put a navy bootlace through the neck ( ex forces members will know what im on about ) its not rocket science
    It’s not just the transaction that might be dodgy. The checkout stage may be a scam to get your PayPal or card details.
    Yes - thanks - I do have a few "classic" commando pullovers (in various colors) that I've ordered from surplus stores. I have yet to try the bootlace trick (but I have some laces on order at the moment, so I'll try that when they arrive).

I'm not worried about it being a scam (that's why I only use PayPal in these situations where there isn't a number or account to "steal") but I'm not expecting much by way of quality goods. (A quick Google search on this company returns plenty of quality issues with their leather goods, in particular - so I'm not terribly optimistic.)

Mostly just curious to see if anyone else had purchased one of these. Like I said, I'll report back (and post pictures) when it arrives.
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    I'm not worried about it being a scam (that's why I only use PayPal in these situations where there isn't a number or account to "steal")

Well there’s still your name and address. Sure it’s not your card number but I would be very hesitant in even giving those out to dodgy stores.
    And there’s your PP password too which has your credit card numbers and bank account information in it. Dodgy websites can link you to all kinds of clone payment websites which are very convincing.
  • ThomoThomo ReadingPosts: 949MI6 Agent
    Hi there - I'm new around here. Joined the forum after discovering The Bond Experience on YouTube - so nice to be surrounded by many like-minded Bond Fans!

Like many of you (particularly in this thread) I'm not so sure that I'm ready to spend $500 on the actual N. Peal Commando Sweater, so I'd like to pick up a "budget" alternative. I see the other options here, but I was sort of hoping for a boat neck to stay faithful to the original look (and also to "try it out" to see if I like that sort of look). I came across this, which seems like it's too good to be true for $70, but I thought I'd see if anyone else had ordered one from this place (or has even heard of them). I think I'll try picking one up - for that price, it's worth the risk of disappointment (and they take PayPal, so I feel reasonably well protected.) Thoughts?

https://www.theleathercity.com/product/no-time-to-die-james-bond-sweater/

This is another option https://www.outdoorknitwear.com/crew-neck/106-bond-.html?search_query=bond&results=1 They recently introduced the blue, with the arm patches as a response to NTTD. This has been in other posts too, not sure who found them first, but whoever it was, thanks
    Thomo wrote:
    This is another option https://www.outdoorknitwear.com/crew-neck/106-bond-.html?search_query=bond&results=1 They recently introduced the blue, with the arm patches as a response to NTTD. This has been in other posts too, not sure who found them first, but whoever it was, thanks

That one looks nice - but the site doesn't list any sizing guidelines. Just curious if anyone else has purchased one of these? What size did you get and how does it fit? I'm 5'9" ~175 lbs so I'm usually between a small and medium for this type of sweater.
    Thomo wrote:

That one looks nice - but the site doesn't list any sizing guidelines. Just curious if anyone else has purchased one of these? What size did you get and how does it fit? I'm 5'9" ~175 lbs so I'm usually between a small and medium for this type of sweater.

I do have one, I'm about 5'9 and 170 lbs and the M fits me great, it's nicely fitted too. I've been wearing a fair bit since the weather changed as nice and comfortable.
  • bosoxfanbosoxfan Posts: 611MI6 Agent
    Sizing info is near the bottom of the page, kind of hidden but here is the link
    https://www.outdoorknitwear.com/content/6-sizing-guide

Thomo wrote:

bosoxfan wrote:

Thomo wrote:

Thank you Thomo & bosoxfan! It does look like the M would be a perfect fit, unfortunately they seem to be out of that size (with the elbow patches) at the moment. (As luck would have it, of course!) I've put in an email to their customer service to see if they will be restocking soon.
    bosoxfan wrote:

Thank you Thomo & bosoxfan! It does look like the M would be a perfect fit, unfortunately they seem to be out of that size (with the elbow patches) at the moment. (As luck would have it, of course!) I've put in an email to their customer service to see if they will be restocking soon.

That’s a shame I’m sure they will have more. I have a black one too with no arm patches which I wear a lot too. Fingers crossed you’ll be able to get one soon
    Thomo wrote:
    bosoxfan wrote:

That’s a shame I’m sure they will have more. I have a black one too with no arm patches which I wear a lot too. Fingers crossed you’ll be able to get one soon

They reached out to me immediately and said that the website hadn't been updated with the current stock levels. Now it's showing more than 50 units in stock (of the Medium size, with elbow patches) - just in case anyone else wants to order one too.
    Well - my replica commando sweater arrived today from The Leather City, and I have to say - it's much better than I was expecting. First off, to assuage any concern about the "shadiness" of the site, it was a totally painless and legit ordering process. Authentic PayPal checkout, quick confirmation e-mail (they even sent a follow-up email to confirm sizing, which was nice), prompt shipping, and FedEx tracking provided. Overall, very straightforward and seamless. Exactly one week from order to delivery.

The package arrived well-packed in its own little mini garment bag (see pictures) and inside that, was nicely folded with tissue paper and wrapped again in a waterproof plastic bag.

The quality is about what I would expect for $70. I'm not sure what the description of "viscose lining" was all about, it's just ribbed cotton (probably a poly-blend), but there's no lining to speak of. Quality is comparable to the What Price Glory Commando Sweater (in olive color) for those of you who have ordered one of those - although the 'boat neck' is closer to the N.Peal original, in the sense that it's a little more squared off and deliberate, rather than just a slit opening on the WPG. I ordered it in a size Small (I'm 5'9" ~180lbs) and although it's a little bit smaller than the others that I own in the same size, it's a very stretchy material, so I think it will be fine.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased. I would definitely recommend for anyone who is looking for the "look" of the N.Peal, in the correct color, with a boat neck, but doesn't want to spend the cash for the authentic original.

Best of all, my identity and bank account are still intact, which, as many of you have pointed out, is always a slight risk with unknown sellers. While I can't vouch for this company's other products (primarily leather reproductions, as far as I can tell), this one seems fine for what it is.
    IMG-2860.jpg

IMG-2861.jpg

IMG-2862.jpg

IMG-2863.jpg