Coronavirus

Comments

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    So from next monday, we will have a partial stop of all activities for 4 weeks.

While we are in a relatively good position compared to most of our neighbours, our numbers have doubled every 7-10 days and the leaders fear that the hospitals may get overwhelmed in some weeks.

My favorite scientist Dr. Christian Drosten explained it like that:
    Imagine you are sitting on a heavy truck in an endless road downwards and the brakes don‘t properly work.
    You can just break for 5 seconds now and then.

It‘s important hitting the brake for 5 seconds at the beginning and not quite late when the speed has gone too high and you drive off the curve.

He said, hitting the brakes now for 5 seconds may be enough to slow the truck down so that we can pass thru the coming months without overwhelming our health system.

Our stop means, that Schools and offices remain open but homeoffice must be done whenever possible. Retail remains open, all restaurants, pubs and bars are closed.
    No tourist activities are allowed, gatherings of more than 10 people are not allowed with a maximum of 2 households.
    In 2 weeks the situation will be reassessed.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,701MI6 Agent
    Someone in Sweden has started producing a hand sanitizer called "Tegnell's tears", named after the scientist who is the man behind Sweden's failed Corona strategy. :))
    Sweden has lost ten times as many to the pandemic as Norway (adjusted to population size) and the Swedish economy isn't even doing better than the other Nordic countries that has an active anti-corona policy.
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent
    edited November 2020
    In the UK we need at least the tiered restrictions for England which the Westminster government has to get through parliament on Tuesday. A risk is posed by a group of rebel backbench Conservative MPs who oppose the proposed system of tiered regulations and who invoke a false binary between public health and the economy in order to 'prioritise the economy' - many of these MPs also happen to be arch-Brexiteers - and a further risk is created by the government's own political sop of promising to lift some restrictions over the Christmas holiday. I know the whole situation is awful but, really, people need greater resilience and a steadier nerve to get through this pandemic - without putting overwhelming pressure on the health services and seeing spikes in avoidable deaths.
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Someone in Sweden has started producing a hand sanitizer called "Tegnell's tears", named after the scientist who is the man behind Sweden's failed Corona strategy. :))
    Sweden has lost ten times as many to the pandemic as Norway (adjusted to population size) and the Swedish economy isn't even doing better than the other Nordic countries that has an active anti-corona policy.

I'm not up on this. Last I heard, Sweden was doing well and we should have been looking to their example. Now I hear otherwise. I thought the Swedish economy was rubbing along nicely compared to the UK. Or are you comparing it to Norway?
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    If memory served it's compared to the other Nordic countries.
    Covid deaths in Sweden are going way up again, 50-70 each day compared to Norway's roughly 0-2 (based on memory again, I'll check later)
    Corona deaths per day in Sweden is lower than I believed, but still comparatively high.
    edited November 2020
    @Higgins #1070 on Cuomo

I too admired Cuomo's leadership in NY during Wave 1. Overall, his daily briefings and response at the time, amidst a desperate crisis in NY, put to shame the federal response and appalling negligence of the Trump administration.

Interesting to consider more deeply the causes of the spread of the infection in care homes for the elderly. I don't know how far there's a parallel between what happened in NY and the UK, but a disaster in the care sector occurred in the UK partly because agency staff were moving between different residential homes with inadequate availability of PPE - but also because the NHS, concerned about hospital capacity, was discharging elderly people back to care homes without testing them, to free up beds. When the whole situation is reviewed in full, this will be seen, with hindsight, to have been a terrible error.

Of course, Cuomo's right-wing critics will come at him with whatever they think they've got.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    edited January 2021
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Don't you know everyone is a virilogist now? :))
    I'm convinced Tegnell and the Swedish government has done (or not done) everything in good faith. They thought and to a large extent still think their corona strategy was the best for the Swedish people. The problem is how experience and fact does not change their views much. Tegnell belived Stockholm would see herd imunity as early as May. He still thinks herd imunity will kick in any day now. In the meantime Sweden has tragically seen about ten times as many corona deaths as neighbouring countries, but their economy isn't doing any better than other Nordic countries. In most countries this would cause a lot of soul-searching and new strategies. Not so much with "sweet brother" (Norwegian nickname for Swedes).
    The leaders still think they are doing the right thing.
    Fun fact: I saw three people wearing face masks on Black Friday, my first sightings in the local town/village.
    Speaking for myself, I'm not a virologist. I just try to keep pace with what different virologists have to say in news media.
    Objectively speaking that's the case for me too. :))
    Based on what real virilogists say there is hope for NTTD in April. The Western world will start getting vaccines in January (The West has bought 80% of the up coming vaccines). With some luck and good work the general population will start reciving vaccines in April.
    Personally I think all politicians did what they thought was best, some good ,some bad decisions, I'm
    only glad I didn't have to make any of those decisions, and will give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm
    sure they were all following scientific advice. It's always easy to be wise after the event. ;)

I agree with you here 97% - with the exception of those leaders who decided to ignore the threat right from the beginning and did basically nothing!

edited January 2021
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I'm not sure Trump did what he thought was best for the American people when it comes to Covid-19, to be honest. I think his ego and the stock exchange was far more important to him than the safety of the American people. He was briefed early on and knew what the dangers were, but still played corona down and mocked those who took it seriously.
    This thread is getting too political. Sorry, partly my mistake.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Well, it's brought a smile to my face.
    edited January 2021
    But of course. :))
    edited January 2021
    I really hope so!
    "God bless us every one", to quote Tiny Tim. :)
    edited January 2021
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    I think Higgins and myself partially agreeing on something, could be counted
    as a Christmas miracle. :D maybe it's a good omen for 2021 ;)

I wouldn’t say it’s a miracle or a good omen at all. Just that you have a mental deterioration perhaps.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    For sure not as mentally deteriorated as yourself after that
    little snake has almost killed you :D

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Have the three ghosts of Christmas past, present and future visited Higgins this Yuletide?

I feel an imaginary conversation coming on... :))
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    :)) Oh, definitely! But first there's the one which will be opening on Dec 1st... which is tomorrow in UK time!
    Sure would be a terrific coincidence if our beloved Higgins had a major part in that, wouldn't it?
    Have the three ghosts of Christmas past, present and future visited Higgins this Yuletide?

I feel an imaginary conversation coming on... :))

Brexit? Humbug! :D
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    :)) Oh, definitely! But first there's the one which will be opening on Dec 1st... which is tomorrow in UK time!
    Sure would be a terrific coincidence if our beloved Higgins had a major part in that, wouldn't it?

:)) :)) :))
    Coincidence? It'd be more like enemy action... :D I look forward to this year's AJB advent calendar :o
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    13% of the hospital beds in the US the are used by corona patients, according to the authorities. Some fear the health system may collapse if the Thanksgiving holiday causes more outbreaks, I read. Let't hope for the best for Americans!
This discussion has been closed.