No Time to Die delayed until October 8th, 2021

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,703MI6 Agent
    Looking at news about corona and the vaccines it looks to me like the most at-risk groups will have been vaccinated by April next year. This will make the risk of going to the cinema lower (you don't have to worry about infecting grandma), but is it enough?
    I'd think a good portion of the general population will be vaccinated by next summer and most who wish to be vaccinated a year from now. So moving the premiere to the summer will be safer, not to mention next November. I'm talking about the richer countries, sadly Africa and other poor er countries will have to wait longer.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,737MI6 Agent
    edited December 2020
    Couple of details to consider regarding the Warner Bros /HBOMax direct to streaming releases: HBOMax is only available in the USA, the films will only stream for one month and then held for another stab at theatrical release down the line. IMO, while this is being touted as a "stop gap" measure by Warners to get their backlog of films out there, one can imagine that this is also an experiment/test run to assess the viability of streaming as an alternative to theatrical releases. I also agree that this is a major attempt to promote HBOMax with what basically is a "loss leader" and also one-up Disney plus in a big way. Also, one of the big criticisms of HBOMax has been HBOMax's the lack of 4K HDR, Dolby Atmos Sound, etc that is available with other streaming platforms like Apple TV and Disney+. Not surprisingly, it was announced that these films will be streaming with all the state of the art bells and whistles, 4K UHD HDR, Dolby Atmos Sound, and Dolby Vision which will be a first for HBOMax. I don't believe that this signals the end of theatrical releases, especially given that there is real hope that things will get back to "normal" within the next year. However, I believe that theatrical releases of movies will morph into more of a limited "boutique event" experience for big releases with most lower budget/non-tentpole type films going direct to cable/streaming services with more partnerships between the traditional studios and the cable/streaming industry. The numbers of auditoriums in multiplexes will be downsized and replaced with more state of the art premium IMAX and Dolby Cinema type auditoriums with giant screens, laser projection, and monster sound systems.... somewhat similar to the 1950's when Cinerama and Cinemascope were introduced to theaters to compete with advent of affordable TV's.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Looking at news about corona and the vaccines it looks to me like the most at-risk groups will have been vaccinated by April next year.

Something that no one will be able to predict - the vaccination is voluntary and there is a not-insignificant number of people who are against vaccines, throwing a bit of a wrench into this whole plan. (Yesterday the ostensible star of Disney/Marvel's Black Panther 2 retweeted some anti-vaxx conspiracy nonsense.) I will get the vaccine, but will I feel safe in a theater knowing how many folks out there are demonstrably rejecting science every day?
    That's a problem, yes. The anti-vaccines movement has already done a lot of damage in the world. I'm not sure, but I have a suspicion the movement has come furthest in the US, making the problem biggest there.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,418Chief of Staff
    Number24 wrote:
    Looking at news about corona and the vaccines it looks to me like the most at-risk groups will have been vaccinated by April next year.

Something that no one will be able to predict - the vaccination is voluntary and there is a not-insignificant number of people who are against vaccines, throwing a bit of a wrench into this whole plan. (Yesterday the ostensible star of Disney/Marvel's Black Panther 2 retweeted some anti-vaxx conspiracy nonsense.) I will get the vaccine, but will I feel safe in a theater knowing how many folks out there are demonstrably rejecting science every day?

But why would you not feel safe if you’ve had the vaccine?
    YNWA 97
  • thelordflasheartthelordflasheart Posts: 310MI6 Agent
    No vaccine is 100% effective. The efficacy rate for the most promising vaccine is around 95% in ideal conditions (and less for others). That means that someone who receives the vaccine still has the possibility of contracting COVID.

But, the more people that get the vaccine means that there are fewer people to spread it (although even that is in question, and can be different depending on the type of vaccine used). If vaccine uptake was, say, 75% of a population then I would feel much more comfortable seeing a movie than if it was, say, 40% of the population.

Like anything, there is more nuance to this:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-immunity-analysis/analysis-can-first-covid-19-vaccines-bring-herd-immunity-experts-have-doubts-idUSKBN27Y124

The idea is that the more people that are immunized means that it's another tool in slowing the spread. BUT - and this is important - we still need to social distance, wear masks, and wash hands frequently.

What has been amazingly frustrating to me is the anti-maskers or conspiracy theorists who claim that their biggest priority is to open up the economy. If they would do those three things I listed, then we could have opened up almost all of the economy already.

Not being American I'm astonished at the prevalence of the conspiracy theories that are broadcast far and wide. I mean, I even saw a video from one of the most popular Bond influencers where his guest starting off with COVID conspiracies and the host didn't call him out on it.

This is important - we can agree to disagree on matter of opinion but not on matters of fact.

What I would challenge everyone to do all over the world is, in addition to social distancing, wearing masks, and washing hands, add a fourth thing - challenge people on untruths. Ask them "Why do you believe that?" If they say it's just something they feel, ask them if that's a reasonable way to assess truth (how many times did they "feel" so sure that something was going to happen but it didn't?). If they say "Oh, I heard this..." ask them who did they hear it from? Why would they believe it? If they say "I've done my research" ask them to specifically list the resources they went to and what they found, and how they verified it (hint: watching a Youtube video is not "research").

Sorry for the rant, but the reason that we haven't watch NTTD with our friends in theatres by now is because of those types of people. We had the opportunity to get the numbers down to a place where we could have seen movies, but...we didn't. As I said many months ago, "Want to see NTTD in November? Wear a mask today"
  • AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent
    People are just dumb...when you boil it down.

I see it daily in my own surroundings. Young people of my age (20 sth) that just cannot go without partying, drinking and going out.

As all of the restaurants are closed now (dumb move, government), they all switched to „take-away“. As X-mas is right around the corner, they all put up „Glühwein“-stalls in front of their houses...for take-away only (hahaha, as if...). Naturally, when 20 people order take-away at the same time, they‘ll have to wait for it. And with the Glühwein-stalls in front of the house...you can guess where this is going... :)

On another note, some kids even got really creative and each bought a daily ticket for public transportations only to ride the train the whole day where they „coincidentally“ met all their friends. In all the years prior to COVID, people used to go on summer vacation once a year....Boom, COVID comes around and they go three times in one summer...really bonkers.
    When the first lockdown hit Germany in the spring, people misused grocery shopping as an excursion for the whole family.

The virus would still exist in any case today, but I dare say I‘d be a lot more controllable/ handleable if people stuck to the most prevalent rules.
    But no.

Everyday, when I see the pictures from all of these people with their duck faces and fooling around, I am genuinely disappointed of how dumb the broad public actually is.

No Time To Die:
    I think it’s more or less safe to say that this movie isn’t likely to come out in April. I don’t see it.
    It‘d be cool if EON would release sth in the meantime, there are lots of things overdue: deleted scenes, new making of‘s or maybe even some BTS stuff for NTTD.
    But as for fan service, they’re pretty lame. A simple post of „Happy Friday, Bond-fans“ with DC raising a martini ever two weeks just doesn’t do it for me. Zero Effort.

Don‘t know who of you is on Instagram, but I‘m currently doing a virtual Bond advent calendar which a collectible behind a door every day. Don‘t wanna pad myself on the shoulder but I think it‘s still more creative than official sources have ever gotten. Also, there are quite some other fans who put out really great content and I‘m not talking about the Influencer-salesmen.
    The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
    What Bond youtube influenced has been spreading Covid conspiracy theories?
  • thelordflasheartthelordflasheart Posts: 310MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    What Bond youtube influenced has been spreading Covid conspiracy theories?

The reasons I didn't mention them by name are 1) I don't want to give anymore bandwidth to those comments and 2) "naming and shaming" isn't a good way of bringing people over to a more reasonable position.

As well, when I saw the vid several people had already called out the host in the comments for not calling out his friend's bs. Of course, the problem is that not everyone who watched the video would read all the comments. That's why it's important to confront misinformation as soon as it's said.

I'm not psychic so I don't know why this happened, but there are a couple of very human reasons that could have been at work. The first is that there's an implied impoliteness to contradicting a friend, and that's magnified if it's done "in public". (I personally think you can do this in a non-confrontational way though that shouldn't hurt any reasonable person's feelings).

Another reason could be that in order to have and keep the largest numbers of viewers/subscribers possible you don't address certain topics. But if that topic DOES get brought up you don't then say anything that may turn off some of the viewers. Seeing how polarized people are in the US about coronavirus, and how passionate (or obstinate) people are in their beliefs, I can understand why someone may have concerns about expressing something that would not just turn off, but actually anger, viewers.

But given the magnitude of this problem, and the effects to the economy and people's health, shouldn't truth matter?

I'll be the first to admit that maybe I'm naïve. And I freely acknowledge that because of the way I choose to run my business I'm not as successful as some other people in my industry.

But I was just really sad that someone I really like didn't choose to stand up to misinformation. What would have really made me respect them is if they had come out afterward and said "This is important, I made a mistake and I want to correct it".

But it's not my choice to make.

Now, was this video (there may have been more, I've stopped watching after that one) the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of COVID spread? Of course not. But we all have our part to do in helping create and keep the type of society we live in. And with clients and family and friends who work in health care and pharma, I can easily get enraged about the promulgation of misinformation. To paraphrase a famous quote, all it takes for misinformation to spread is for people who know better to do nothing.

Okay, I'm done ranting for today. Now I just feel depressed.
    I hear you. In some ways we live in a "post-fact society". Proof and fact is easily available, but anyone with a computer with a camera can spread their ideas. Some power-center have spread the idea that traditional media are full of lies, so many listen to these armchair warriors and don't want to listen to any real journalists or experts.
    Let's be depressed together. :)
    No vaccine is 100% effective. The efficacy rate for the most promising vaccine is around 95% in ideal conditions (and less for others). That means that someone who receives the vaccine still has the possibility of contracting COVID.

But, the more people that get the vaccine means that there are fewer people to spread it (although even that is in question, and can be different depending on the type of vaccine used). If vaccine uptake was, say, 75% of a population then I would feel much more comfortable seeing a movie than if it was, say, 40% of the population.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-immunity-analysis/analysis-can-first-covid-19-vaccines-bring-herd-immunity-experts-have-doubts-idUSKBN27Y124

The idea is that the more people that are immunized means that it's another tool in slowing the spread. BUT - and this is important - we still need to social distance, wear masks, and wash hands frequently.

What has been amazingly frustrating to me is the anti-maskers or conspiracy theorists who claim that their biggest priority is to open up the economy. If they would do those three things I listed, then we could have opened up almost all of the economy already.

Not being American I'm astonished at the prevalence of the conspiracy theories that are broadcast far and wide. I mean, I even saw a video from one of the most popular Bond influencers where his guest starting off with COVID conspiracies and the host didn't call him out on it.

This is important - we can agree to disagree on matter of opinion but not on matters of fact.

What I would challenge everyone to do all over the world is, in addition to social distancing, wearing masks, and washing hands, add a fourth thing - challenge people on untruths. Ask them "Why do you believe that?" If they say it's just something they feel, ask them if that's a reasonable way to assess truth (how many times did they "feel" so sure that something was going to happen but it didn't?). If they say "Oh, I heard this..." ask them who did they hear it from? Why would they believe it? If they say "I've done my research" ask them to specifically list the resources they went to and what they found, and how they verified it (hint: watching a Youtube video is not "research").

Sorry for the rant, but the reason that we haven't watch NTTD with our friends in theatres by now is because of those types of people. We had the opportunity to get the numbers down to a place where we could have seen movies, but...we didn't. As I said many months ago, "Want to see NTTD in November? Wear a mask today"

Well said!
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,446MI6 Agent

Well said!

+1
  • LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 244MI6 Agent
    In light of the Warner Bros news, it looks as though many studios are moving towards a hybrid model. Whereby you release in theatres and have a shortened window before going to streaming.

Now Disney and Warner Bros have that capacity as they have their own streaming service. In lieu of MGM having a similar service, they could go down the PVOd path after a short release in cinemas. Alternatively, they could broker a deal with a streamer like Apple and release on their service after 3-4 weeks in cinemas.

If they don't go with a hybrid model and stick purely to a theatrical release, then sadly, it'll probably move. I think the best move would be to skip summer. Then date NTTD for October 1, 2021. By then the vaccine would have been widely distributed. Plus, that date has bought a lot of luck to both Venom and Joker.

Marvel%2527s%2BVenom%2BTeaser%2BOne%2BSheet%2BMovie%2BPoster.png
    joker-banner-joaquin-phoenix.jpg
    IMO, I think if all goes well with the vaccine, EON will go back to the traditional mid to late November release date for NTTD.
    HowardB wrote:
    IMO, I think if all goes well with the vaccine, EON will go back to the traditional mid to late November release date for NTTD.

It's probably the likeliest outcome but I can't help thinking Craig's swan song as Bond will feel like very old news by that point, mostly because of the two prior marketing pushes — but also because of everything else young and exciting (The Batman, Black Panther 2, etc) on the horizon.
    Those movies will be months later or more (IF they stick their respective dates; they've each had their own problems lately). Not sure hype for an upcoming movie trumps an actual movie you can watch.
  • BlindManBaldwinBlindManBaldwin Posts: 105MI6 Agent
    Cheverian wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

It's probably the likeliest outcome but I can't help thinking Craig's swan song as Bond will feel like very old news by that point, mostly because of the two prior marketing pushes — but also because of everything else young and exciting (The Batman, Black Panther 2, etc) on the horizon.

What prior two marketing pushes?

The first one, I'll spot you. But the second one never really began — there was a trailer and a TV appearance. But they hadn't started the mass advertisements yet at all.

To the vast majority of people who aren't dorks like us, they may not even know the film is coming out. It won't be "old news" if it never existed in their mind!
    Cheverian wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

What prior two marketing pushes?

The first one, I'll spot you. But the second one never really began — there was a trailer and a TV appearance. But they hadn't started the mass advertisements yet at all.

To the vast majority of people who aren't dorks like us, they may not even know the film is coming out. It won't be "old news" if it never existed in their mind!

I can't speak to what people did or didn't see, but I saw the TV commercials this fall. And magazines were using the stars on their autumn covers as if in preparation for the November premiere. (It was Total Film's second NTTD cover!) Plus all the cheesy tabloid stories about Bond "bankrupting" MGM, etc.

This strikes me as one of those questions that can't be resolved until the movie comes out and either fulfills expectations or fizzles.

201013-total-film-no-time-to-die-october.jpg

Daniel-Craig-for-Madame-Figaro-Mens-Special-September-2020-Editorial8-jpg.png

Lea-Seydoux-covers-The-Sunday-Times-Style-November-1st-2020-by-David-Ferrua-1.jpg

Lea-Seydoux-covers-Madame-Figaro-November-13th-2020-by-Thiemo-Sander-1.jpg
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    There’s been loads of marketing and tie-ins for both cancelled releases. Omega, NPeal, C&J etc. Heineken and Bollinger both have standees and product in the shops now as do Omega Magazines, souvenir items, the list goes on. If you’re not aware of prior marketing pushes you must have been living in a cave as they’ve been and still are happening.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    EON should push the US release date off to mid-June. By then the US should be approaching herd immunity (assuming 20 million immunizations a month, and, sadly, 6 million reported cases a month) and theatres should be open.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    I’d be astounded if they release it before August now.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,418Chief of Staff
    Asp9mm wrote:
    I’d be astounded if they release it before August now.

Unfortunately I agree :#
    YNWA 97
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,757MI6 Agent
    I thinking November 2021.
    Cheverian wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

As long as things are close to being back to normal, and by normal I mean going to the movies is safe, I think if NTTD is good, people will come out to see it. Bond is a tradition and I believe people will have a hunger to get back to the traditional things of the past that they enjoy. The other thing is we are talking about the general public, not the sampling of Bond fanatics who frequent the AJB and have been obsessing about this film for a multitude of reasons for what seems like years (actually it has been years :)) ).
    True, Bond movies have a history of causing people to come out :v
  • BlindManBaldwinBlindManBaldwin Posts: 105MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    Cheverian wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

As long as things are close to being back to normal, and by normal I mean going to the movies is safe, I think if NTTD is good, people will come out to see it. Bond is a tradition and I believe people will have a hunger to get back to the traditional things of the past that they enjoy. The other thing is we are talking about the general public, not the sampling of Bond fanatics who frequent the AJB and have been obsessing about this film for a multitude of reasons for what seems like years (actually it has been years :)) ).

I agree with all of this.

I also would like to add, if the film is good then people will see it. This is kind of a simple, "no s***, Sherlock" thing to say, but I think it's important. Post-COVID, if there is a good film in a theater that is fun and everyone enjoys, it'll make bank because people will be talking about it.
  • tsholdtshold TorontoPosts: 212MI6 Agent
    I went and saw Tenet during the height on the pandemic here in Toronto and it was no problem - we all were spaced out, we all had masks on ...is it the same as when times were 'normal'? No...but it was pretty darn close to feeling like it was normal once the movie started.
    Shop the latest thing from the SIS Training Collection!
    https://sistraininggear.com
  • YouknowthenameYouknowthename Carver Media GroupPosts: 500MI6 Agent
    tshold wrote:
    I went and saw Tenet during the height on the pandemic here in Toronto and it was no problem - we all were spaced out, we all had masks on ...is it the same as when times were 'normal'? No...but it was pretty darn close to feeling like it was normal once the movie started.
    Maybe, but Tenet did not perform as well as expected / hoped. Too many people will avoid the theaters as long as Covid-19 is a threat.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    A part of Tenet's problem was that it got mediocre reviews. At 71% on Rotten Tomatoes, it's the lowest rated Nolan-directed film ever.