Coronavirus

Comments

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    13% of the hospital beds in the US the are used by corona patients, according to the authorities. Some fear the health system may collapse if the Thanksgiving holiday causes more outbreaks, I read. Let't hope for the best for Americans!

I'm in San Mateo, in California. I believe they said on the news almost all of the ICU beds in my county are filled. The hospitals are distributing patients to other hospitals just so one hospital doesn't get overwhelmed.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    edited January 2021
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,702MI6 Agent
    Danish swinger clubs have found a loop-hole in the corona restrictions. They have been classified as fitness clubs, so they are only required to wear protection on their helmets and not on their faces :))
    edited January 2021
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    :)) :)) :))
    I do love human ingenuity -{ as with the church in some part of America that
    has designated itself as a " Strip Club " as unlike churches they are allowed to
    open in that state :D

( I know you guys like to fact check my political posts, but I don't have a link, so this
    could be an urban myth )

It sounds true and I'd like it to be true, so can we agree not to fact check this one? :D

The story also made me wonder if any churches in a different state with different corona restrictions has registered as strip clubs?
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I do love human ingenuity -{ as with the church in some part of America that
    has designated itself as a " Strip Club " as unlike churches they are allowed to
    open in that state :D

( I know you guys like to fact check my political posts, but I don't have a link, so this
    could be an urban myth )

It sounds true and I'd like it to be true, so can we agree not to fact check this one? :D

The story also made me wonder if any churches in a different state with different corona restrictions has registered as strip clubs?

In my area of the World they were allowing limited seating capacity in restaurants, but bars couldn't open. So what did bars start to do? You guessed it, a small menu of food so they could open up. That was short lived though as most of California has moved to tougher restrictions due to increasing cases. Restaurants have to move to take-out only. They may still offer outdoor dining, but a very limited capacity. And it has to be true outdoor dining, not the tent with with windows and three sides on it. I call that the indoor dining, thats placed outside but still considered indoors. Lots of other retail establishments have to close back up. People are getting agitated.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    edited December 2020
    I found something Trump has said that's (almost) completely true!
    Trump keeps saying the US tests more people than anyone else. How much countries test their populations is interesting and important, so I Googled it. It turns out only the UK tests more than the US.
    (Norway is not among the top 12)
    edited January 2021
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Danish swinger clubs have found a loop-hole in the corona restrictions. They have been classified as fitness clubs, so they are only required to wear protection on their helmets and not on their faces :))

I'd fit right in with my leather mask :))
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    The new word of the year will be chosen by the Norwegian Language Council on Friday, and it will almost certainly be Corona related. Among the favourites are "hytteskam" ("cabin shame") , the feeling you get when you visit your cabin. Cabins are usually in small municipalities with a tiny health system. I'm sure this is a common problem in most countries :v
    Another candidate is "søringkarantene" ("southerners' quarantene"). In the spring Northern Norway forced people to go into a quarantene if we wanted to visit the north because their part of the country had very few examples of infection. Back in the day northerners were treated a bit like Irishmen were in England, so many saw this as the revenge of the north. :D

Please share words and expressions born from the pandemic!
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 977MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    The new word of the year will be chosen by the Norwegian Language Council on Friday, and it will almost certainly be Corona related. Among the favourites are "hytteskam" ("cabin shame") , the feeling you get when you visit your cabin. Cabins are usually in small municipalities with a tiny health system. I'm sure this is a common problem in most countries :v
    Another candidate is "søringkarantene" ("southerners' quarantene"). In the spring Northern Norway forced people to go into a quarantene if we wanted to visit the north because their part of the country had very few examples of infection. Back in the day northerners were treated a bit like Irishmen were in England, so many saw this as the revenge of the north. :D

Please share words and expressions born from the pandemic!

The word of the year is still fighting the legal challenges to the vote count, but we have several words of the month: for January it was, predictably, Coronavirus. In March it was emergency powers act (valmiuslaki), and in August it was mass exposure (joukkoaltistuminen).
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    edited January 2021
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Barbel will be
    The first in Scotland to get it :p

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    :# :# :#
    I too worry that some restrictions and measures could become permanent or at least easier for governments to use in a different context in the future. Not in the sense that FEMA will herd up all the Christians and put them in consentration camps like some seem to belive, but the more subtle and basically well meaning measures. I'm thinking of things like using mobile phone signals to track movement patterns of groups in urban areas or the government being allowed to order people to stay in their homes. One sees the benefits of these measures during a pandemic, but what if the same measures were used in a situation like the on-going demonstrations in Belarus?
    Higgins wrote:
    So from next monday, we will have a partial stop of all activities for 4 weeks.

While we are in a relatively good position compared to most of our neighbours, our numbers have doubled every 7-10 days and the leaders fear that the hospitals may get overwhelmed in some weeks.

Our stop means, that Schools and offices remain open but homeoffice must be done whenever possible. Retail remains open, all restaurants, pubs and bars are closed.
    No tourist activities are allowed, gatherings of more than 10 people are not allowed with a maximum of 2 households.
    In 2 weeks the situation will be reassessed.

Our (imo too lax) measures have been able to stop the explosion of numbers, but the cases and deaths have not dropped at all.

Problem was and still is that the states who are in charge of executing stronger measures are having a softer hand and regularly override or block the central government plans.

We had 560 deaths yesterday, we have 1/4 of the US population so that would equal 2240 deaths/ day which is the present number roughly.

I'll take the risk of going too political and ask the question if federal states i have a disadvantage during the pandemic given the federal government is taking the situation seriously?
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    We had 560 deaths yesterday, we have 1/4 of the US population so that would equal 2240 deaths/ day which is the present number roughly.

Apologies in advance, Higgins, as the stats are now a blur to me. So you are saying that on the basis of per capita, Germany and the USA are at par with COVID deaths?
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    superado wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

Apologies in advance, Higgins, as the stats are now a blur to me. So you are saying that on the basis of per capita, Germany and the USA are at par with COVID deaths?

If we are looking on the daily deaths for the last week - yes.

But in the last 10 months, the USA have suffered much more than we did - however, Belgium, Spain and Italy had horrible numbers too.

edited December 2020
    Today I discovered my closest neighbour has Covid-19. I'm told it's nothing really serious in her case, it feels like a bad flu. We've known eachother since we were toddlers and we live about 100 feet apart. Because of her this place now has a ten percent infection rate, so maybe I'm in a red zone now? :v
    She's a nurse and she's been more careful than the rest here, but she visit a lot of schools in her work so staying safe is difficult.

I can't be the only one in the forum who knows someone who's been infected, so please share if you feel like it.
    A friend of mine had Covid - and it was much worse than the flu he told me.
    Fortunately he recovered after some horrible days

And you may remember the story from summer, when a friend from the US had symptoms and I locked her up in her apartment and arranged a Covid test for her because her parents could not be contacted.

Back then she tested negative.
    Now she‘s back to the US and a friend of her had Covid - she has been tested and antibodies have been found - so between summer and now she must have unknowingly had it

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    Number24 wrote:
    I can't be the only one in the forum who knows someone who's been infected, so please share if you feel like it.

Unfortunately I know quite a few that have contracted coronavirus - both family and work colleagues...but, even worse, I know of one that has died because of it.
    YNWA 97
    I'm so sorry to hear this :#
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Unfortunately I know quite a few that have contracted coronavirus - both family and work colleagues...but, even worse, I know of one that has died because of it.

I too know of a person who died of it. They were elderly and had recurrent problems with pneumonia. My elderly Aunt also got it when she was in hospital for other things and fortunately pulled through but she was very poorly.

The most shocking case for me was a friend of my daughter, who was at Uni and had it(the friend not my daughter), the friends father died and was in his early 50's with no undying conditions. Shocked them to the core as to how real this is. I've also got a friend who's daughter is a paramedic and through lockdown 1, was giving people the choice of dying at home or in hospital with no one.

My father had a phone call today saying he could have his Covid vaccination this week. I am delighted
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    I was told that somebody from my late mother's old care home died of Covid-19. She was 79 and had motor neurone, she'd lived with it for many years but this was the last straw, not least because it stopped friends from coming in and checking up on her, and that in itself can be fatal. By chance I'd popped in a few weeks earlier to drop off a birthday card and arrived at the same time as one of her friends, this allowed me to pop in for a chat with her.

Wouldn't fancy my chances of visiting otherwise, because I put that care home in the local and national press.

Napoleon Plural uses FRWL-style spy camera to catch care home neglect of his Mum!

The story is one of the Parkinson's sufferer, and my real name is 'Clive' - Napoleon Plural is not actually my real name :D . Some other links show more disturbing footage and actually I don't advise you watch it, even I haven't in full, just enough to get the gist.

BTW nobody from the CQC or Social Services ever contacted us about the incident, they are shameless, and having dealt with both the corrupt CQC and corrupt Surrey County Council's Social Services, I can inform you that the death toll in our care homes this year is of absolutely no surprise to me.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited January 2021
    He should have used his inside voice and refrained from using any bad words. :)
    Speaking of Mr. Cruise: - It looks like Bergen, Norway, will be a location in Mission Impossible 8. A pretty big location too, I think :D
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent
    https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/celebs/a34987258/tom-cruise-screams-mission-impossible-7-covid-19/

Tom Cruise Was Recorded SCREAMING at 'Mission: Impossible 7' Crew for Breaking Covid-19 Rules

The scary pent-up anger of a scary scientologist. Although wearing a mask Mr Cruise would do well to reflect on how shouting itself increases aerosol transmission of particles.
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
    edited January 2021
This discussion has been closed.