Coronavirus

Comments

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    It‘s a sad state of things when anyone has the power to lecture us about wearing mask.

One would think that common sense and being mindful and considerate about others should be more than enough.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    edited January 2021
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,702MI6 Agent
    Like I (jokingly) said earlier, Cruise should have behaved better. But I see his point. MI7 is the first major action movie made during the corona pandemic. I know Cruise had to contract the Minister of Culture to get special exeptions from the corona rules to film in Norway, and only got aproval if the production made a great effort and spent many millions to film as safely as possible. If there is a corona out break in or because of MI7 the production risked having to close down. Also other productions can be pulled the plug on as a result, with negative results financially and for people's jobs. And yes, he's a crazy Scientologist :D
    edited January 2021
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    On the other hand there is not a single case of people getting infected in the cinema world wide.
    edited January 2021
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    My symps are with Mister Cruise.

Yes, I can read any feature on Scientology and come away fuming with the awfulness of this so-called Church.

But then we come up against a problem - as awful as they are, the 'Church' isn't nearly as bad as - wait for it - the British State.

It's not Scientology that endorsed contaminated blood and then covered it up for - what? - decades while besmirching those who had the misfortune to be injected with it.
    It's not Scientology that oversaw the Gosport killings - Gosport War Memorial Hospital - where the elderly were basically murdered by the local NHS CCG to cut costs.
    It's not Scientology that oversaw the deaths of babies at the NHS Shrewsbury and Telford CCG, again with victim-blaming the State norm along with cover up and so on.
    It's not Scientology that oversaw the murders of the elderly in care homes placed on secret end-of-life care carried out in cooperative care homes and done via dehydration without the family's knowledge, to save money on pensions and prescriptions.
    It's the State - the British State.

As for Tom, okay, but he's under pressure on a big movie only going ahead because his name's on the ticket, and all it takes is some silly jobsworth deciding they're breaking the rules and that's it - the film is canned, nothing in movie theatres, the whole cinema industry down the pan. Cos two bozos decide they want to go up close and Agnetha and, um, the other one, in Abba on a a video.

Here endeth the lesson.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent
    edited December 2020
    It's not that Mr Cruise was wrong to make a issue of it. It's just that the way he responded, by screaming, was inappropriate and probably indicates something about his mental state.

I've sometimes felt angry with other people not following current Covid rules and guidelines but when, in my occupational context, I've had occasion to challenge people on that I like to think my manner has been as reasonable as it is assertive. Not that, in my case, I feel that the fortunes of an entire industry may turn on the particular exchanges in question. Individual lives and livelihoods, perhaps.

Re: #1,137. To quote Bond in QOS: "May I offer an opinion?" No, obviously: it's not Scientology that has done any number of awful things that nation states may have done - but to say only that would be to make no comment at all about what Scientology itself has done or is doing. I've read the same feature articles on Scientology which make you fume, and I know a little more from personal anecdote. Nuff said. No further comment on this from me.
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
    edited January 2021
  • Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    By the looks of it I will be in a minority by saying this, however I actually have quite a bit of sympathy for him. The people in question on set seem to have been pulled up for it before & I can well imagine that there is plenty of pressure on him regarding workplace safety / insurance issues galore etc etc. Did he perhaps go over the top a bit with the swearing? Maybe ... however there is surely a responsibility on both sides of to respect the 'rules' in place, especially as filming has already been hit by a Covid outbreak on set. It would be useful to know the full context of the story too.

By all accounts he has forked out a decent sum of money to provide a ship for the entire cast & crew to isolate on in order to keep things moving and he's very passionate about workplace safety in his movies. Having myself witnessed the police frog-marching customers out of a supermarket for not wearing a mask, I think a few expletives at staff not abiding by the rules (that have been advised by so-called experts) is something of nothing tbh.

I actually applaud him for clearly mentioning the effect that they are being trusted to make this movie & that a shutdown (or even a postponement) on filming would have far-reaching consequences on livelihoods throughout the entire industry chain.

The fact that someone saw fit to sell this recording to the verminous sewer trash that is the S*n newspaper is another story altogether & it could be an interesting day on set to say the least :))

Anyway just my 2 pence worth!
    edited January 2021
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,177MI6 Agent
    Well, no one likes to be sworn at, but I get Tom's point. Isn't he e an executive producer on the production? I think that entitle him to consider funding, costs and schedules and safety. Personally, yes, I too wonder what drives someone to make an issue of the disagreement by stealthily recording it and selling the evidence on. A bit petty under the circumstances.
    As much as I'd love to slam Cruise ( and this comes from someone who really hates this a-hole!) I have to agree!

Pretty sure, it's been said before that everybody is supposed to keep a safe distance and after 10 months of COVID, this should be in the heads of even the dumbest (I am talking Asp9mm level of dumbness here).

Violating those rules (that have been set up by the governments of the location for sure) can lead to an immediate widthdrawal of permits and put a hundreds of million $ budget in jeopardy - like he said hundreds of jobs - not speaking about the potential infections of others and putting their health/life on the line.

Pretty sure that this has been communicated several times previously so those idiots who are still not taking it seriously deserve all the shouting that they've gotten.

I am reading that Cruise paid 600.000 out of his own pocket for a ship so that staff could quarantene prior to shooting in Italy. Well done!

I am just coming back from the grocery store and had 3 cases, where elderly ladies (all of them in their late 70s) walked straight in front of my nose despite my attempt to avoid close contacts.
    I felt like yelling at them as well X-(

edited January 2021
    Scientology has nothing to do with religion.....

Wishing President Macron a speedy recovery {[]

edited January 2021
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:

I am just coming back from the grocery store and had 3 cases, where elderly ladies (all of them in their late 70s) walked straight in front of my nose despite my attempt to avoid close contacts.
    I felt like yelling at them as well X-(

Its amazing some of the disregard people have at the grocery store. I'm a grocery worker myself and some people think its ok to dip their mask to use Face ID on their phone or have the mask over their mouth but under their nose. I'm currently waiting my Covid result because an employee decided to get a Covid test on their day off then come into work. Said person received their positive result while at work then refused to leave. Person did eventually leave. When I realized who it was, I also realized I had somewhat close contact. It was less than 6 feet and no more than 5 minutes. I believe the person kept their mask on. I'm on day 5 1/2 of having contact but don't have symptoms. Its been 48 hours since my test and so far no results. Hopefully they come very soon. This anxiety sucks.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    another pet peeve of mine are the smartarse egoists that are wearing masks with exhale valves X-(

When I see all those idiots in grocery stores, I strongly support that retail workers are among the first people that are getting the vaccine.

Fingers crossed, Martini for a negative test and positive outcome {[]

• AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent
    Also got one for the books, this is a TRUE story:

A girl I went to school with now is in her second quarantine bc she just cannot stay at home and has to do day trips and meet-ups almost every day of the week. Works in a kindergarten tho...

Now, she was in quarantine since last Thursday...on the following Monday she decided she‘d need a break from quarantine and went for a quick bicycle ride...despite the quarantine NOT being over by then.

Stupidity always was a thing (with her), but this is on a whole new level... :s
    The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
    Daily Mail: Tom Cruise 'has another rant on the Mission: Impossible set with five crew members QUITTING'.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9061623/Tom-Cruise-rant-Mission-Impossible-set-five-crew-members-QUITTING.html

Use the search words: "Santa went off on his crew fir breaking Covid-19 restrictions" :))
    Higgins wrote:
    another pet peeve of mine are the smartarse egoists that are wearing masks with exhale valves X-(

When I see all those idiots in grocery stores, I strongly support that retail workers are among the first people that are getting the vaccine.

Thank you Higgins! Did receive my result back and it is negative. My anxiety won't keep me awake now.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Good to hear that, Mr Martini.
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent
    edited December 2020
    Good news, Mr Martini.

On Mr Cruise yelling. If the aim is to have maximum impact in getting people to comply with basic Covid safety measures, I guess the question is: what's the most effective way of getting that done? I'm all in favour of authoritarian laws and regulations in these circumstances, and targeted enforcement and sanctions for non-compliance, insofar as there are resources and personnel to administer them. All employers should have in place a Covid Code of Conduct for their businesses and be ready to apply disciplinary measures when employees are in breach of it: swiftly, dispassionately and with a proactive responsibility for lots of preventative messaging. Because yes: even now, too many people are too slow to 'get it'. But Mr Cruise yelling at people is exactly the sort of incident which, having been picked up in the media, plays into and amplifies the 'culture wars' taking place between safety-minded commentators and militantly ultra-libertarian mask-refusers including all the idiots on the alt. right (who are usually front of the queue when it comes to shouting). When raging 'culture wars' kick off we each need to know what side we're on and then decide whether it's a most effective use of time and energy to literally shout about it.
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
    I'm glad you had good news, Mr. Martini :)
    edited January 2021
    I'd lose my voice. To this day I've seen about a dozen people wearing masks because of Covid-19. I support wearing a mask for most, but this is a place with lots of space and low infection levels. If my vocal cords weren't in dangers I assure you I would be up for it! :D
    edited December 2020
    MP Thomas Seitz, from the right wing populist AfD who found it right to mock about maskwearing in the german Bundestag

199003487-h-720.jpg

has been admitted to the hospital with severe Covid symthoms

Here is the scene, where he was called out by deputy parliament president Claudia Roth and later he complained about the „governmental ordered muzzle“

I am sure that the hospital workers are delighted about the extra workload....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m7dHBxDnnc

Shady Tree wrote:
    Good news, Mr Martini.

On Mr Cruise yelling. If the aim is to have maximum impact in getting people to comply with basic Covid safety measures, I guess the question is: what's the most effective way of getting that done? I'm all in favour of authoritarian laws and regulations in these circumstances, and targeted enforcement and sanctions for non-compliance, insofar as there are resources and personnel to administer them. All employers should have in place a Covid Code of Conduct for their businesses and be ready to apply disciplinary measures when employees are in breach of it: swiftly, dispassionately and with a proactive responsibility for lots of preventative messaging. Because yes: even now, too many people are too slow to 'get it'. But Mr Cruise yelling at people is exactly the sort of incident which, having been picked up in the media, plays into and amplifies the 'culture wars' taking place between safety-minded commentators and militantly ultra-libertarian mask-refusers including all the idiots on the alt. right (who are usually front of the queue when it comes to shouting). When raging 'culture wars' kick off we each need to know what side we're on and then decide whether it's a most effective use of time and energy to literally shout about it.

Thank you all!

I have to agree with Shady Tree. I have no idea what will happen with the employee who came in with symptoms. Can he be 100% blamed? He should've known better, but some places might not be checking employees as they come into work for their shift. I'd personally love to see disciplinary action taken on the employee involved with my work place. So far though, it looks like nothing has spread to anyone. He also keeps his mask on. If it turned out one or several employees or their families came down with Covid and someone ended up dying, then yes, the employee needs to be disciplined. And that goes true for every place. If you're suspected of being sick, first you get your temp taken. If you have a fever you're required to get Covid test. Once you get a negative result, you'll be allowed back, only if no other employee has come down with Covid. If another employee has Covid and it's contact traced back to you.......fired. It's wrong for someone who has Covid or symptoms of Covid to take other peoples lives in their hands.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:

Like Tom Cruise? :D

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9067331/Tom-Cruise-wears-14-99-face-mask-NOT-recommended-CDC.html
This discussion has been closed.