Strawberry Fields Goes Woke

I edit, therefore I am.

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    I can’t imagine being upset by that article.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,703MI6 Agent
    If all or most roles in movies for actresses were like that it would have been a problem, but I don't think the typical Bond girl personal (If there is such a thing) is a problem if it's one of a range of choice for actresses.
  • JTullock23JTullock23 ArizonaPosts: 552MI6 Agent
    I am fine with what she said in the article. Though I don't share all the same sentiments. I can certainly concur with her assessment of regretting a decision made at 21 now that I am older. I think we can all agree that she continued to get jobs post QoS so what she did in the movie wasn't that bad. Anyhow, I think she did a serviceable job of moving the story forward considering the story was being pieced together as they went due to the writer's strike.
    "History isn't kind to men who play God." - DC "I gave him the limp." - PB "Better make that two." - TD

"Keeping British end up, sir." - RM "This never happened to the other fellow." - JL "I must be dreaming." SC
    JTullock23 wrote:
    I am fine with what she said in the article. Though I don't share all the same sentiments. I can certainly concur with her assessment of regretting a decision made at 21 now that I am older. I think we can all agree that she continued to get jobs post QoS so what she did in the movie wasn't that bad. Anyhow, I think she did a serviceable job of moving the story forward considering the story was being pieced together as they went due to the writer's strike.

I'm not sure that she says she regrets it as such (it paid her loan and raised her profile, as she says), it's just that it's a role she wouldn't take on now because there's nothing to it, and she's right. Fields doesn't even get a forename, it's a pretty thankless role. I think she's pretty sparky in it and makes a good impression though.
    Number24 wrote:
    If all or most roles in movies for actresses were like that it would have been a problem, but I don't think the typical Bond girl personal (If there is such a thing) is a problem if it's one of a range of choice for actresses.

I think a lot of them are like that, that's the problem.
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,177MI6 Agent
    She's not saying anything unusual. I probably agree with her. At the time a reasonable career move. Now, not a choice she would make so lightly. I made a couple of dodgy career moves in my 20s which, given experience, I probably wouldn't do now either. It isn't really news or a scandal or even gossip.

DC and 'Bond girls'? Don't care what he calls them - hopefully by their first name.
    chrisno1 wrote:
    DC and 'Bond girls'? Don't care what he calls them - hopefully by their first name.

Yeah I found that very understandable: if you're trying to help create some characters referring to them with a dismissive term like that isn't really very constructive.
    If anyone making the film was calling M 'the old white guy' then I'd be worried about how they're treating his character.
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,446MI6 Agent
    Presumably there was a scene in QoS in which her full name was given. Does anyone know why that was cut? As Bond names go, I think Strawberry Fields is cuter than most and even semi plausible(!). And it's not like the movie was chockfull of humorous moments.
    emtiem wrote:
    JTullock23 wrote:

I'm not sure that she says she regrets it as such (it paid her loan and raised her profile, as she says), it's just that it's a role she wouldn't take on now because there's nothing to it, and she's right. Fields doesn't even get a forename, it's a pretty thankless role. I think she's pretty sparky in it and makes a good impression though.
    Number24 wrote:

Yes, many are. But I hope more of the more complex characters with some impact on the plot are getting more common.
    Number24 wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    JTullock23 wrote:

Number24 wrote:

Yes, many are. But I hope more of the more complex characters with some impact on the plot are getting more common.

Yes, let's hope so. NTTD does sound like it might be a bit of a step forward in that regard.
    Cheverian wrote:
    Presumably there was a scene in QoS in which her full name was given. Does anyone know why that was cut? As Bond names go, I think Strawberry Fields is cuter than most and even semi plausible(!). And it's not like the movie was chockfull of humorous moments.

I get the feeling that the script was in such a mess that was probably changing all the time that it's one of the things that just fell by the wayside.
  • CajunCajun Posts: 481MI6 Agent
    edited December 2020
    emtiem wrote:

“There’s so much wrong with Bond women?” There appears to be some sidestepping here of that broad-brushed sentiment along with the fact that Arterton felt the need to cave to woke criticism for assuming the role to begin with.

Me upset? Not so much. More like exhausted by the continued long-after-the-fact virtue signaling by some in the entertainment industry. Any actor not living under a rock knows what to expect from a Bond Girl role. It’s not exactly Shakespeare, you will play second (or third) fiddle, and you will likely be exposed to sexism at some point.

Millions of Bond fans loved Arterton’s character. I mean, she essentially became the new Jill Masterson. Since she’s in the business of entertaining she should consider that a win. Most Bond actresses seem to be thankful to be a permanent part of Bond lore and embrace it for what it was.
    I edit, therefore I am.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I wonder if she's as proud of Tamara Drewe, which was mainly sold ( By the trailer at least )
    by her arse in very, very short denim shorts ;% or the St Tinian's films all very strong
    empowering roles for women. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    :D Thunderpussy nails it!

Still, fairly awful role in an awful film. Not her fault. Hated the way Bond 'redeems' her death by recommending her for some posthumous award like that's alright then! When he helped needlessly bring about her death anyway, all he had to do was go home with her! Which he didn't do. Then artlessly chats her up with his 'Where's the stationary?' line. Crap.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    :D Thunderpussy nails it!

Still, fairly awful role in an awful film. Not her fault. Hated the way Bond 'redeems' her death by recommending her for some posthumous award like that's alright then! When he helped needlessly bring about her death anyway, all he had to do was go home with her! Which he didn't do. Then artlessly chats her up with his 'Where's the stationary?' line. Crap.

What can I say; I liked the film and her crude oil-soaked ass in it. :D

I also liked the stationery line because it was about as tactful as something I'd come up with. :v
    I edit, therefore I am.
  • You Know My Name007You Know My Name007 Posts: 91MI6 Agent
    There was a time when a women said i was a Bond girl was seen as a proud calling card and right so in my eyes

i dont need to say what being a bond girl portrays in the eyes of most

this whole woke diversity scamshambels is getting out of hand and the majority of normal volk dont care for it
    i would say its done more damge to films and tv series than good
    Cajun wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

“There’s so much wrong with Bond women?” There appears to be some sidestepping here of that broad-brushed sentiment along with the fact that Arterton felt the need to cave to woke criticism for assuming the role to begin with.

Me upset? Not so much. More like exhausted by the continued long-after-the-fact virtue signaling by some in the entertainment industry. Any actor not living under a rock knows what to expect from a Bond Girl role. It’s not exactly Shakespeare, you will play second (or third) fiddle, and you will likely be exposed to sexism at some point.

I think if your defence is ‘you should know that Bond women roles are bad’ then you’re actually agreeing with the original sentiment that “there’s so much wrong with Bond women”. So I’m not sure what the issue is.

It’s a bit snowflakey to be so troubled by this: somebody talking about the problems which you’re acknowledging exist won’t cause your world to fall in. The roles for women in Bond films haven’t been good enough, hopefully that’s changing.
    edited December 2020
    I wonder if she's as proud of Tamara Drewe, which was mainly sold ( By the trailer at least )
    by her arse in very, very short denim shorts ;% or the St Tinian's films all very strong
    empowering roles for women. :D

She did those around the same time (Trinians before), so presumably the same applies regarding her needing the cash. If you actually read the article she’s just saying she wouldn’t do those sort of things now.
    Are you unhappy that she’s said she prefers to only do more realistic roles? It seems like you want to prove her wrong in some way.
    I'm just tired of minor actors using
    Woke culture to massage their own
    Egos. No one put a gun to her head
    To play any of these roles.
    She was paid, signed a contract etc.
    If she wanted serious roles she could
    Have struggled on and not sold out, but
    She wanted the money.
    She wants to be taken as a serious actor so is trying to distance herself from her early roles. Just the same as some singers go on about regretting their early commercial records.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    In what way is she massaging her ego? I don’t follow your thinking here.

Yes, she is saying she wouldn’t do those roles again today: that is really quite literally what she’s saying. I can’t see a problem with that. Would you do the jobs you did in your early 20s now? You could have struggled on and not worked in a shop or delivered papers or whatever it is you did and held out for the career you have now: did you?

Why is an actor thinking that women should have movie roles as well-rounded as those men have defined as ‘woke’? What makes you see that as a bad thing? You feel you have to describe her as a ‘minor actor’ despite knowing quite a few of her films, which indicates this has risen some animosity in you towards her.
    emtiem, you're obviously a fan of hers, So Ill leave the discussion but as it's a Bond forum,
    for Bond fans. I don't think it's too unbelievable to find a fan defending the Bond films. ;)

Still Happy New Year to you {[]
    emtiem, you're obviously a fan of hers, So Ill leave the discussion but as it's a Bond forum,
    for Bond fans. I don't think it's too unbelievable to find a fan defending the Bond films. ;)

Still Happy New Year to you {[]

I can defend the Bond films too but I can also see their flaws, I don’t think they’re perfect and I feel secure enough not to feel the need to personally attack those who observe them. Whenever anybody (well, any white man) uses the word ‘woke’ in a serious manner I always see it as a very insecure thing.
    I’m not a fan of hers; you’ve shown you know more of her films than I do. Still, as you can’t actually defend your accusations by answering my questions I’ll wish you a Happy New Year too.
    Once again Have a great New Year {[]
    I'm a fan. She's been in some really good films like "The girl with all the gifts".
    Sorry yes, when I say I'm not a fan that doesn't mean I don't like her :) She's been good in the things I've seen her in, I just haven't followed her work.
    As I say above, I think she manages to sparkle as Fields in QoS, even though it's a pretty thankless role.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    I don't have any issue with equality, empowerment, or diversity, but I do think her attitude is a little disappointing.

Would I accept the same jobs now that I did in my 20s? No. But am I glad that I took them back then, as they helped as a springboard to my career? Yes. I'd like to think I'd show more gratitude to my early employers for giving me a chance than Gemma Arteton does by undermining her role in QoS.

" She added, "But as I got older I realized there was so much wrong with Bond women." "

Bit of a sweeping generalisation I'd say. Does this include Dame Judi Dench, for instance? Certainly Olga Kurylenko's part is more fully fleshed out, but Fields is a smaller, supporting role. Should everyone who's played a henchman complain that there's so much wrong with the way these parts are written, when they are beaten by Bond?

Ultimately, I'd argue it certainly helped her career to have appeared in a Bond film, and a little more graciousness wouldn't go amiss.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,177MI6 Agent
    Nicely put, C&D
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    Whenever anybody (well, any white man) uses the word ‘woke’ in a serious manner I always see it as a very insecure thing.

Ding ding ding

A lot of Bond fans who spat out the term derisively would be quite disappointed in the beliefs and views of just about every creative involved with their favorite franchise :))
    emtiem wrote:
    Whenever anybody (well, any white man) uses the word ‘woke’ in a serious manner I always see it as a very insecure thing.

Ding ding ding

A lot of Bond fans who spat out the term derisively would be quite disappointed in the beliefs and views of just about every creative involved with their favorite franchise :))

I think it goes without saying that most presume the entertainment industry generally leans in the same political direction.

And thank you for making my point. Yes, "woke" has indeed become a negative term to some (regardless of color; racist much?) simply because the concept has become the virtue signaler's social compliance billy club. Reasonable people aren't opposed to differing viewpoints. Reasonable people are opposed to being seemingly force-fed those viewpoints along with the risk of being shamed, canceled, or worse if they're perceived as disagreeing with any part of a "movement."

Anyhoo, perfectly stated C&D.
    I edit, therefore I am.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent
    Cajun wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

Ding ding ding

I think it goes without saying that most presume the entertainment industry generally leans in the same political direction.

And thank you for making my point. Yes, "woke" has indeed become a negative term to some (regardless of color; racist much?) simply because the concept has become the virtue signaler's social compliance billy club. Reasonable people aren't opposed to differing viewpoints. Reasonable people are opposed to being seemingly force-fed those viewpoints along with the risk of being shamed, canceled, or worse if they're perceived as disagreeing with any part of a "movement."

Force fed? Did Gemma come to your house and say this on your front steps? If you're a champion of differing viewpoints (spoiler: you aren't), you wouldn't be starting a thread called "Strawberry Fields Goes Woke" and trying to shame her out of having her opinion. "She owes the franchise" etc., *infinite j/o motion*

White guys claiming to be victims of "racism" - what's the opposite of virtue signaling? 8-)

Anecdotal, of course, but folks throwing around "woke" and "virtue signaling" usually get around to saying some racist s h it sooner or later. Bond fans tired of left-leaning politics should probably go become Scott Baio or James Woods superfans because there's every indication that the pilots of your favorite IP are against just about everything you stand for. (Purvis & Wade called Trump a real-life Bond villain, good stuff)

How's that for going woke? Happy new year!
    edited December 2020
    I don't have any issue with equality, empowerment, or diversity, but I do think her attitude is a little disappointing.

Would I accept the same jobs now that I did in my 20s? No. But am I glad that I took them back then, as they helped as a springboard to my career? Yes. I'd like to think I'd show more gratitude to my early employers for giving me a chance than Gemma Arteton does by undermining her role in QoS.

She doesn't say she regrets it, just that she wouldn't take it now.
    And the issue of giving good roles to women is a bit important to speak about in public than being nice to an employer she worked for 12 years ago. Not that she's even being very nasty.
    " She added, "But as I got older I realized there was so much wrong with Bond women." "

Bit of a sweeping generalisation I'd say. Does this include Dame Judi Dench, for instance? Certainly Olga Kurylenko's part is more fully fleshed out, but Fields is a smaller, supporting role. Should everyone who's played a henchman complain that there's so much wrong with the way these parts are written, when they are beaten by Bond?

There are always exceptions to the rule. Dench got good stuff, but not all of them did. Most didn't, in fact. It's a tough sell to say she's typical of all Bond women.
    Ultimately, I'd argue it certainly helped her career to have appeared in a Bond film, and a little more graciousness wouldn't go amiss.

She really doesn't say anything as bad you think. She's clearly grateful for the money(!) but says she gets criticism for taking it, and actually defends her choice for taking it.
    How's that for going woke? Happy new year!
    I really don’t know how this conversation became about race. Well actually, why wouldn’t it have.

So if people are tired of leftist politics, they should be shamed and go align with other shamed personalities. Leftism is the only socially acceptable path. Oh, and don’t forget the go-to “you’re probably racist” tag if someone doesn’t agree. Got it.

Again, thank you for making my point.
    I edit, therefore I am.
This discussion has been closed.