The not so short lived non argumentative political thread.

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Biden is the one behaving like a president should, to be the adult in the room.
    I wonder what will happen to the Republican party. On one hand they are completely dependent on Trump's supporter, but many key figures and members must know the party has severely lost their way.
    It's no longer grand, that should be clear tonight.

To be fair, the Republicans I’ve seen talking tonight have all denounced it and named Trump as entirely culpable, and have accepted that their president has lost them everything.

On the other hand I just saw the hugely disturbing BBC report from a London ICU ward dealing with the much more worrying Covid crisis. If I’m honest this USA business has just been an entertaining distraction: it’s nice to see Trump finally losing, but meanwhile people are really dying.
  • Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 814MI6 Agent
    We are indeed in great peril here in London. Though yesterday DC had 30,482 positive Covid tests and 806 deaths. So what is happening is also killing people, it just might take a bit longer.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,702MI6 Agent
    This is far more than an entertaining distraction. A mob broke into the US Senate to stop the president elect being formally named the winner of the election. The US President has incited this march on the Parlamentet and he said "We love you" to this mob attacking their democracy. A woman has been shot in the Senate.
    Treason has become a completely debased term in political discourse over the last 4-6 years...but here we are...
    We are indeed in great peril here in London. Though yesterday DC had 30,482 positive Covid tests and 806 deaths. So what is happening is also killing people, it just might take a bit longer.

Good God, just in DC? That's shocking.
    The woman who was shot inside the Senate has died. Who was she and who shot her? Tragic!
    Hopefully she wasn't a part of the mob and she wasn't shot by the police. If the police had shot anyone in the Senate is one of the few ways this could have been worse because that would have created martyrs. The Senate should have been much stronger - that's a scandal. But they should be commended for showing restraint and saying calm.
    Number24 wrote:
    The woman who was shot inside the Senate has died. Who was she and who shot her? Tragic!
    Hopefully she wasn't a part of the mob and she wasn't shot by the police. If the police had shot anyone in the Senate is one of the few ways this could have been worse because that would have created martyrs. The Senate should have been much stronger - that's a scandal. But they should be commended for showing restraint and saying calm.

Yes I've seen people criticising them for letting the aggressors in, but I think it was possibly the right thing to do to calm them down. Although they did have a building full of workers who these people were targeting, and arguably they should have been protecting them more. I don't know, it's hard to say without all the facts.
    "Remember this day forever" (based on a translation) says Trump in a Tweet. He still thinks this is something to be proud of! :o
    emtiem wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Yes I've seen people criticising them for letting the aggressors in, but I think it was possibly the right thing to do to calm them down. Although they did have a building full of workers who these people were targeting, and arguably they should have been protecting them more. I don't know, it's hard to say without all the facts.

They should have enough officers outside to prevent them from getting in. But I agree that protesters killed by the police on the Senate stairs would have been even worse than what has happened.
    Ivanka Trump has called the people who attacked the Senate "patriots" on Twitter! :o
    emtiem wrote:

It's bleak. And like all events like this across the globe more will get it and take it home and spread it far and wide.

https://coronavirus.dc.gov/data
    Number24 wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

They should have enough officers outside to prevent them from getting in. But I agree that protesters killed by the police on the Senate stairs would have been even worse than what has happened.

It's very strange no-one thought to increase security when there were so many people gathering.
    emtiem wrote:

It's bleak. And like all events like this across the globe more will get it and take it home and spread it far and wide.

Looking at it I think that's 806 since it started rather than in one day, thankfully.
    The Senate will continue their work later tonight. I think that's important as a symbol and finally some good news.
    But it's worrying signs that the woman who was killed was a part of the mob.
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,446MI6 Agent
    edited January 2021
    US citizen here. Even after everything — all the melodrama of the past 4 years — today was a game changer. The desecration of the Capitol has the potential to unite our polarized population (much of it at least) and bring a reckoning to Trump he might have escaped otherwise. Both the 25th Amendment and a snap impeachment are on the table and I would never have imagined saying that a day ago. The careers of at least 2 senators are effectively over even if they serve out their terms. All bets are off here.
    emtiem wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

Looking at it I think that's 806 since it started rather than in one day, thankfully.

You’re right, sorry, though point stands.
    Trump's latest tweets have been deleted and his Twitter account locked by Twitter :))
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    This has all kicked off since Joshua revealed who he really can't stand as James Bond... :D Just sayin'
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) :)) :)) -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,177MI6 Agent
    I don't usually comment on political topics, but this Trump business surely has reached its nadir. I am shocked and appalled that this man has so little dignity and so little understanding of how his actions (over the last 4-5 years) have turned him and his nation into buffoons. This is a dangerous farce. If it wasn't for the fact it is actually happening, you'd think it might be political satire. Someone will write an amazing comedy about this. Or, if things get worse - which they may - a deadly serious drama. I was stunned to hear one of his 'supporters' interviewed on Sky who, without breaking for breath, simply repeated as fact and worthy of action all the unsupported allegations this pitiful excuse for a President makes. He is unbelievably considered not to be at fault by many thousands (millions?) of his supporters. If Boris wants the UK to be a sovereign and independent state he ought to make a firm statement denouncing the demonstrators and the man who incited them before the EU. He's already been beaten to it by Nicola Sturgeon. The world at the moment still seems to be powered by morons.

Ah, see, now I'm ranting.... Shut up, Chris
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    The mayor has called in the National Guard in support of the police. The shooting inside the Senate was also confirmed.

If reports are correct, I find it incredible that it was Pence, not Trump, who activated the National Guard. The approval for a National Guard deployment is usually given by the Commander in Chief (ugh it hurts still call him that), so the fact that the approval was done by the VP instead—while the two are in the middle of a significant and heated dispute, is VERY interesting.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    I suppose this has been mentioned at one point but isn't it amazing that if Trump were the guy he says he is, the great A+ persona with a great presidency behind him, none of this would have happened. That is to say, he'd have won the Election by a landslide.

He didn't. But if his boastful claims were all true, it would never have been neck and neck in key states. It wasn't that way back in, whenever it was, 2015. He lost the electoral college but he got in fair and square. It was all over by about 2am on the night if I recall.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Today's NYT front page. It's incredible that the Democrats two wins in the Georgia runoff (and subsequently gaining control of the Senate), a huge story, is relegated to a tiny article in the bottom corner...it's been a big day :s

ErGpjmaXAAUZCON?format=jpg&name=large
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Trump was singing the same tune prior to the 2016 election about voterfraud - if he‘d lost it back then we‘d have seen the same scenes 4 years earlier.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Pipe bombs were found outside the room of both parties and Molotov coctail was also found in the Senate. Some of the mob also shouted "f*ck the blue" at the police. Is this the law and order party?
    The senator deserved credit for taking up their work again as soon as possible.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Just seen one of the „invaders“ shouting in a camera „we are all law abiding citizens...“

Yes, my arse X-(
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    This sort of thing is going to remain a feature of the Biden government. We have seen 'one side' (as far as the Trump supporters are concerned) rioting and protesting, now they feel it is their turn.

Somewhere (this is only my opinion) I feel there is work from unfriendly nations. Whether that is stoking anger through the internet, or giving money or other things to set the two sides against each other, but it is in interest of these unfriendly countries to make sure the USA stays in a state of uproar.

The next big flash point will come when Biden actually becomes the president at the ceremony. Expect much security as Trump supporters try to disrupt.

My real surprise is that there has not been more incidents involving guns. I hope that will not happen.

If this 'political warfare' continues, the only winner will be China. I remain convinced that they will be helping to make sure the trouble continues. They have taken over large parts of Africa with their own brand of economic imperialism. With the US (and Europe with Covid) out of the way they can expand further and much more quickly.
    edited January 2021
    I suppose this has been mentioned at one point but isn't it amazing that if Trump were the guy he says he is, the great A+ persona with a great presidency behind him, none of this would have happened. That is to say, he'd have won the Election by a landslide.

What I love is that literally only yesterday when he was stirring up the crowd, he told them he'd be walking to the Capitol with them. Just another straight, simple bare-faced lie that they can't even see.
    Joshua wrote:
    This sort of thing is going to remain a feature of the Biden government. We have seen 'one side' (as far as the Trump supporters are concerned) rioting and protesting, now they feel it is their turn.

Somewhere (this is only my opinion) I feel there is work from unfriendly nations. Whether that is stoking anger through the internet, or giving money or other things to set the two sides against each other, but it is in interest of these unfriendly countries to make sure the USA stays in a state of uproar.

The next big flash point will come when Biden actually becomes the president at the ceremony. Expect much security as Trump supporters try to disrupt.

My real surprise is that there has not been more incidents involving guns. I hope that will not happen.

If this 'political warfare' continues, the only winner will be China. I remain convinced that they will be helping to make sure the trouble continues. They have taken over large parts of Africa with their own brand of economic imperialism. With the US (and Europe with Covid) out of the way they can expand further and much more quickly.

Russia is also a big winner after yesterday's events. Putin may have had the best day of his presidency.
    I agree it's a relief there was "only" one shooting. There is good reason to belive the people in the mob own a lot of guns, including military grade weapons.
    Number24 wrote:
    Pipe bombs were found outside the room of both parties and Molotov coctail was also found in the Senate. Some of the mob also shouted "f*ck the blue" at the police. Is this the law and order party?
    The senator deserved credit for taking up their work again as soon as possible.

The Molotov coctail was found near the Congress building, not inside the Senate.
This discussion has been closed.