The not so short lived non argumentative political thread.

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    Christian Thybring-Gjedde, the Norwegian member of parlament who nominated Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize, now says it looks like Trump is mentally unstable.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Joshua wrote:
    This sort of thing is going to remain a feature of the Biden government. We have seen 'one side' (as far as the Trump supporters are concerned) rioting and protesting, now they feel it is their turn.

Somewhere (this is only my opinion) I feel there is work from unfriendly nations. Whether that is stoking anger through the internet, or giving money or other things to set the two sides against each other, but it is in interest of these unfriendly countries to make sure the USA stays in a state of uproar.

The next big flash point will come when Biden actually becomes the president at the ceremony. Expect much security as Trump supporters try to disrupt.

My real surprise is that there has not been more incidents involving guns. I hope that will not happen.

If this 'political warfare' continues, the only winner will be China. I remain convinced that they will be helping to make sure the trouble continues. They have taken over large parts of Africa with their own brand of economic imperialism. With the US (and Europe with Covid) out of the way they can expand further and much more quickly.

Russia is also a big winner after yesterday's events. Putin may have had the best day of his presidency.
    I agree it's a relief there was "only" one shooting. There is good reason to belive the people in the mob own a lot of guns, including military grade weapons.

Lots of them cosplay as soldiers in all their camo gear. It's kind of tragic.
    I just heard on TV that a new poll shows half of the Republican voters support the people who broke into the Senate. This shows the Republican party is in deep trouble in more than one way.
    Facebook and Instagram have blocked him for the next two weeks at least now, not sure about Twitter.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Now some Republicans feel the need to distance themselfs from Trump.
    What cowards - and I mean you Mulvaney and Barr and others.

You have been close to Trump for the last 4 years, you knew exactly how he is and he has not changed a bit.
    And now 13 days before your term is over anyhow you pull yourselfs together and leave the sinking ship. How appalling, how dare you!

Instead, you should do everything in your power to get the man impeached in the next days and prevent him of damaging your country even further until Jan. 20 and probably rerun for office in 4 years and in the meantime even further divide the people.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    Facebook and Instagram have blocked him for the next two weeks at least now, not sure about Twitter.

Just wonder whether they will show consistency with this approach taken. Social media seems to be a right old cesspit for both left & right wing ranters.

Good luck to America over the next few years ... as an outsider, I truly hope that the vast chasm of divide that is present can be somehow bridged - however I sadly doubt it.
    Gymkata wrote:
    What happened yesterday is going to hurt enthusiasm for voting Republican for a while.

Well you've had their leader telling his supporters that voting doesn't work because the system is fixed, which is an impressive way to tell your own voters not to bother voting for you. I wonder why they're suddenly losing everything...
    edited January 2021
    Joe Biden said something very wrong imo yesterday.
    „This is not who we are“
    With all respect, sir - this IS the United States! Over 74 million votes went to Trump - knowing what they‘d get.

Donald Trump Junior said something very true yesterday ( and I hate to say it - he‘s right!)

About the Republicans: „This isn‘t their Republican party anymore - this is Donald Trump‘s Republican Party! “

Gymkata wrote:
    My completely non-expert opinion:

The Republican party is going to have a split between the rational and the far-right. We're already seeing it in action and I think the split will only become more pronounced in the next year. I would not be surprised if a new party forms and the GOP is left flailing for a few years while both sides try and reconcile.

The independent voters are the ones who sway major elections. The Democrat base and the Republican base will always vote for their candidates but the independents can be courted in either direction. What happened yesterday is going to hurt enthusiasm for voting Republican for a while. As such, I think the Democratic party will have a few years of grace as long as they don't do anything stupid.

Both major parties cover so much political ground, I'd say the two of them would be four to six parties in Europe. The problem is - if the Republicanssplit up they know it will be decades before the Democrats lose the White House.
    Possibly the more moderate part of a split Republican party can attract centerist Democrat voters?
    Number24 wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    Pipe bombs were found outside the room of both parties and Molotov coctail was also found in the Senate. Some of the mob also shouted "f*ck the blue" at the police. Is this the law and order party?
    The senator deserved credit for taking up their work again as soon as possible.

The Molotov coctail was found near the Congress building, not inside the Senate.

More than fifty police officers were injured by the mob. Trump said: "We love you. You're special people" while they were fighting the police. Law and order party..... Yeah right!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Injured police and pipe bombs ? Are you sure this wasn't one of those Peaceful protests they've had
    for months. You know the peaceful looting and stealing, and Peaceful firebombing of Businesses ?...
    .... Just asking :p
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I was not aware that BLM protesters stormed the Capitol to stop a constitutional act to confirm a newly elected president.

And when the looting and rioting from some individuals started, Trump immediately called the National Guard. Yesterday, he refused to call them, Pence did.

Any may I recall how a totally peaceful gathering in front of the White House was attacked by using the military, just because Trump did not like it and wanted his photo op with the bible in his hand.

Again, just another attempt to simplify and compare 2 cases that are totally different!

I agree the rioting by BLM was get the strong reaction it deserved. But as serious as it is, burning businesses is not nearly as serious as violently breaking into the Senate armed with rifles and pipe bombs to stop the president elect from becoming the president.
    Also, yesterday, the peaceful protesters where not attacked by police or others, they just cleared the Capitol from the violent protesters.

During the BLM when the riots happened, even peaceful protesters where heavily attacked.

Apples and Oranges....

Number24 wrote:
    I agree the rioting by BLM was get the strong reaction it deserved. But as serious as it is, burning businesses is not nearly as serious as violently breaking into the Senate armed with rifles and pipe bombs to stop the president elect from becoming the president.

Try telling that to the poor people who lost everything & will struggle to rebuild their livelihoods - all through absolutely zero fault of their own.

Surely we are not getting in to the realms of saying one form of rioting is better than another?!
    Just trying to educate myself so thanks
    It's different when people you agree with attack the police and riot. Thanks again guys -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    edited January 2021
    point —-> missed.

And so it starts yet again ... 8-)
    No, I'm saying one violent act is more dangerous for the democracy in the US than the other. I made it clear that the BLM rioting was serious in my post. It was a political and moral mistake by the Democrat leadership not distance themselves very clearly from the rioting and the arsony that happened.
    But what happened last night was a direct attack on US democracy and the institution of the Congress and it was instigated and defended by the president of the United States. This is Watergate level serious.
    Are you sure this wasn't one of those Peaceful protests they've had
    for months. You know the peaceful looting and stealing, and Peaceful firebombing of Businesses ?...
    .... p

Whatabout.....?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

• JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    Ens007 wrote:
    Surely we are not getting in to the realms of saying one form of rioting is better than another?!

You have stumbled upon a very good point, a point which exposes much of what is wrong today. Violence, rioting etc is acceptable to many people, just so long as it is done under their flag. They use it as a tool but give it another name, 'direct action' of such like. It's only when the opposing side does exactly the same thing does it become a riot and an 'outrage'. This unacceptable behaviour flip flops between both sides and creates even more anger, hatred and division to the point where they do not even know what they're fighting about in the end.

This will not go away. It will only intensify. There will be much heartache, violence and most likely loss of life ahead. Biden will never take the many millions of Trump supporters with him just as Trump could never take Biden supporters. The polarisation is complete and will be maintained for years to come. It will take a better leader than the USA has anywhere in it's system to take hold and bring the country together.

Meanwhile those who are behind it all, but stay in the shadows, sit by and watch this great game of chess play out.
    Just trying to educate myself so thanks
    It's different when people you agree with attack the police and riot. Thanks again guys -{

It has never before happened that the Congress has been broken into by a violent mob, and it was done to stop the legally elected president elect from taking office. Trump supported this attack on democracy. I've made it very clear that the BLM rioting was serious, but rioting in the streets has happened many times before in the US and other democracies.
    What happened yesterday has never happened before in the US and I think the only comparable event in British history was maybe Cromwell's coup way back in time.
    Thanks again, I get the message ( Bursts balloon ) when it suits your politics
    you'll condemn the Mob, and when it suits your politics you'll defend their right
    to protest ?
    I 'm learning a lot guys thanks -{

By the way I'm not using " You" against you N24, it's a generality
    No, you don't get the message at all.
    I've never defended the BLM riots. I've called them serious again and again in these posts. The point I'm making is that those riots were not direct attacks on US democracy and the constitutional change of presidents after a legal election result. And this ws instigated and supported by the president.
    Don't worry my last word before I let you all go back to your Marxist Re-education thread :D

One way to fix this as, suggested by many here after the Brexit vote, A second vote ? as
    Perhaps many voters didn't know what they were voting for .

This is bound to be popular as It was touted on this thread as a fix to Brexit :D

With That I'm done, I'll leave you guys in peace as the Political intellectuals of AJB {[]
    What are you talking about, TP? "Marxist re-education thread". I've always been anti-communist. I was a soldier on the border of the USSR, willing to fight (and almost certainly die) to defend my country and your country against a Marxist dictatorship if neccesary.
    I've also been very clear that the British people have every right to leave the EU. What I did critizise was how it happened. I think the Brexit referendum was bungled in a clumsy way by the government, leading to an unneccesarily lengthy and dividing Brexit process. I welcome political discussion here in this thread, but please stay serious and write about what we actually write and the opinions we actually have.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Topic closed while I catch up.
    Re-opened.
    TP and his big wooden spoon are off elsewhere.
    I do realize that this last day or so has caused heightened emotions in all of us but please try and keep things controlled. I wasn't going to open this thread again but the obvious importance of recent events has forced my hand. I will close it again if necessary.
    It has come to my notice through a PM, that many believe me to be controlled by Qanon.
    I obviously dispute this but it seems the power of rumour is enough to convict. No evidence
    needed. So in order to dispel any doubts. I'll never post anything on this thread again. Once
    again anyone who dares to have a different thought from the " Correct thinking " will be
    silenced. Either blatantly or inconspicuously behind closed doors.
    Does anyone wonder why this thread gets closed so often?
This discussion has been closed.