No Time to Die delayed until October 8th, 2021

Comments

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    Gala Brand wrote:
    A part of Tenet's problem was that it got mediocre reviews. At 71% on Rotten Tomatoes, it's the lowest rated Nolan-directed film ever.

That’s part of it. But not the big part. I’m posting on a James Bond forum, so obviously not just a “casual Bond fan”, and I would not see NTTD in a theater during the pandemic. They’ve waited this long. Might as well just ride it out and make their money.
  • istrapistrap MelbournePosts: 1MI6 Agent
    Anyone one knows the watch name worn by James bond in the last chapter? I think it inspire from apple smart watch
  • HalconHalcon Zen TemplePosts: 486MI6 Agent
    The UK is locking down again due to a covid mutation, stocks are sinking....etc

...not sure if I will ever see the new Bond in theaters...
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,443MI6 Agent
    People here have suggested a November 2021 release for NTTD but that would put it into direct competition with MI:7. Talk about a box office dogfight.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,672MI6 Agent
    Halcon wrote:

I'm 100% sure we will, it's only a question of when. Theatre survived the Spanish Flu and that pandemic killed more people than world war one.
  • BlindManBaldwinBlindManBaldwin Posts: 105MI6 Agent
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mgm-enlists-advisors-to-explore-sale-report?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

As the Joker says: "And here we go"
    MGM appears to be getting closer to formally exploring a sale.

Hollywood giant has enlisted Morgan Stanley and LionTree LCC to serve as advisors in the process, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing unnamed sources. A studio spokesperson declined to comment on the article.

MGM's 25th installment in the Bond series, No Time to Die, was delayed from its Nov. 12 release date to April 2, 2021 as the pandemic has kept many theaters shuttered domestically. The studio had held talks with Apple about picking up the title, with the tech giant said to have considered an offer in the $350 million to $400 million range for the 007 film, sources told The Hollywood Reporter for an Oct. 27 story.

• 005005 Posts: 138MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Halcon wrote:

I'm 100% sure we will, it's only a question of when. Theatre survived the Spanish Flu and that pandemic killed more people than world war one.

Was there some other way to watch films back in those days? Was streaming around 100 years ago?
    edited December 2020
    50 million died and they had books and reccord players.
    Your point about streaming is a good one. But the Spanish Flu was much worse than Covid-19 is likely to get. While books and reccord players did not offer an experience as close to theatre as streaming does to the cinema, I think it's close enough considering how horrible the pandemic a century ago was.
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,224MI6 Agent
    Really wish that MGM was not having financial issues again, No Time To Die has already had to deal with enough issues delaying its release.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,735MI6 Agent
    Depending on who MGM is sold to it could be better for EON in the long run. MGM and their financial problems have been a thorn in the side of EON on too many occasions.

As far as a further delay in release for NTTD, I think that is more effected by COVID than what's going on with MGM.

For those who have postulated that if Apple were to purchase MGM that would automatically mean that NTTD will automatically go to streaming, think again. Just because another entity purchases MGM, I do not believe that would automatically render any contractual/legal agreement that EON had with MGM null and void.
    If EON has final say over how Bond films are released it would remain that way.
    Any changes would need to be negotiated or at worst, hammered out in court.
  • BlindManBaldwinBlindManBaldwin Posts: 105MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    Depending on who MGM is sold to it could be better for EON in the long run. MGM and their financial problems have been a thorn in the side of EON on too many occasions.

As far as a further delay in release for NTTD, I think that is more effected by COVID than what's going on with MGM.

For those who have postulated that if Apple were to purchase MGM that would automatically mean that NTTD will automatically go to streaming, think again. Just because another entity purchases MGM, I do not believe that would automatically render any contractual/legal agreement that EON had with MGM null and void.
    If EON has final say over how Bond films are released it would remain that way.
    Any changes would need to be negotiated or at worst, hammered out in court.

Yeah, I don't think this will change much in short-term. Have seen speculation that Apple could, in fact, want a theatrical release to signal to filmmakers/industry they aren't going to pull an AT&T.
  • Felicity SteveFelicity Steve Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    [Deleted by Bärbel. Purest spam.]
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

:)) :)) :)) There's no mention of Bond on that website but, hilariously, its contact address is a hotel in Manchester which is getting the worst reviews ever on TripAdvisor :)) :)) :))
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Jflynn2112Jflynn2112 Posts: 68MI6 Agent
    As April gets closer it seems increasingly unlikely that this will be the release date, huh?

Significant vaccine rollout won’t take place until at least feb, at least and this current lockdown is lasting until then anyway.

I’m prepping myself for a November release.
    I think we'll see release in the summer (first time since LTK, I believe) or in November. I agree April looks unlikely now.
  • AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent
    I don’t understand why EoN/MGM, etc. are still holding onto the April release. In any case, it won’t work: either cinemas are still closed bc we obviously won’t have vaccinated enough people or if they’re open, people will still hold back with going out.

I‘ve said it before: they should just delay it indefinitely and not stick a new label on it every couple of months just to call it all off again just a few weeks prior whilst being in full swing marketing...again.
    The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,665MI6 Agent
    I don’t understand why EoN/MGM, etc. are still holding onto the April release. In any case, it won’t work: either cinemas are still closed bc we obviously won’t have vaccinated enough people or if they’re open, people will still hold back with going out.

I‘ve said it before: they should just delay it indefinitely and not stick a new label on it every couple of months just to call it all off again just a few weeks prior whilst being in full swing marketing...again.

I guess there's no real reason to postpone until they absolutely, definitely have to- it's not like they're losing any money by holding the April date. The only incentive is to bag another release date before another big film does, but I'm sure there's space.

Nice to see you post by the way August, I feel like I haven't seen you in a while.
  • AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:

I guess there's no real reason to postpone until they absolutely, definitely have to- it's not like they're losing any money by holding the April date. The only incentive is to bag another release date before another big film does, but I'm sure there's space.

Nice to see you post by the way August, I feel like I haven't seen you in a while.

I just think it would be for the best to „call it off“ in time and not when they already are in the middle of a new marketing campaign with lots of new stuff. Because we‘ve seen so much already.

Yes, back at a more frequent posting on here. My Instagram-page I set up in April was really time consuming the last weeks. Had a virtual advent calendar going on with a new collectible behind every day‘s door....Taking a break now from that, probably till the end of the month :007)
    The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
  • Mattia De VartiMattia De Varti ItalyPosts: 488MI6 Agent
    Er-IIla-NXMAAZspw.jpg

New still. If only this movie came out...
  • JellyfishJellyfish EnglandPosts: 459MI6 Agent

:)) :)) :)) There's no mention of Bond on that website but, hilariously, its contact address is a hotel in Manchester which is getting the worst reviews ever on TripAdvisor :)) :)) :))

As a manc, I'm curious what hotel was mentioned. Dare I ask?
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,536MI6 Agent
    Er-IIla-NXMAAZspw.jpg

Sig P226 in his hand?
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    Someone wrote:
    Er-IIla-NXMAAZspw.jpg

Sig P226 in his hand?

Browning Hi-Power
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Jellyfish wrote:

As a manc, I'm curious what hotel was mentioned. Dare I ask?

PM'd you :D
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,106MI6 Agent

If the film gets cancelled again, I don't think EON should spend any more money on a new marketing campaign,as it is wasting money. They should wait a bit.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • Sriram858Sriram858 Posts: 182MI6 Agent
    At this point they should just release it to VOD. EON/MGM needs to accept that they are going to take a financial hit with this Bond Movie and since a reboot is coming and this is Daniel Craig's last Bond they might as well just take the loss and prepare for the future with the new Bond and direction and ETC.

I highly doubt anyone will be going to theaters fully in November....things in the world won't somewhat stabilize until 2H of 2022...it's the honest truth and EON/MGM just need to accept it.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,316MI6 Agent
    What if they accept it in the form of sitting on NTTD until 2022? They're not exactly operating on the same schedule as hardcore Bond fans.
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Sriram858 wrote:
    At this point they should just release it to VOD. EON/MGM needs to accept that they are going to take a financial hit with this Bond Movie and since a reboot is coming and this is Daniel Craig's last Bond they might as well just take the loss and prepare for the future with the new Bond and direction and ETC.

Remember it’s not just NTTD that’s holding out for a theatre release. From the top of my head there’s Top Gun, F9, Black Widow, A Quiet Place 2, Free Guy, etc etc. So MGM are definitely not alone in pushing back a major release and not wanting to resort to the VOD route. Fair enough I say.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,595MI6 Agent
    They’re doing what they think is going to make them the most money. Most of us don’t know their exact situation, so I don’t think it’s fair to pass judgement on them waiting. Us seriously fans who don’t want to wait are a small minority of people. Most of the audience isn’t thinking about the film right now.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • 007JBDCMWR007JBDCMWR Posts: 2,516MI6 Agent
    edited January 2021
    Skewered, one sympathises...

1. CR. 2. TSWLM. 3. LTK. 4. GF. 5. SF.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,735MI6 Agent
    edited January 2021
    Matt S wrote:
    They’re doing what they think is going to make them the most money. Most of us don’t know their exact situation, so I don’t think it’s fair to pass judgement on them waiting. Us seriously fans who don’t want to wait are a small minority of people. Most of the audience isn’t thinking about the film right now.

VOD, streaming etc has worked out well for many lesser releases but the two experiments with big tentpole films has been a bit of a bumpy ride. Mulan suffered as many people balked at the idea of paying a premium fee (around $30.00) on top of the monthly fee they pay for Disney+. Wonder Woman 1984, while initial numbers were high, at least people could see it without paying a premium in addition to the monthly HBO Max fee but the film is not very good and there were technical problems with streaming the film because of bandwidth limitations and the large number of people trying to stream the film especially during the holiday season. When I watched WW 1984 on New Years Eve the film froze on 3 occassions and I had to wait 15 minutes plus for it to buffer each time....not a fun experience, especially for such a meh film. If that was NTTD to having those kind of technical issues, I would have been livid.