Factory Entertainment - Coming Soon

124»

Comments

• Simon_jreesSimon_jrees Wales, UKPosts: 89MI6 Agent
    if you have issue maybe I can fix it, depending on what the exact problem is, I also designed a replacement pen I just received by the mail.

Thanks Patrice. I've e-mailed them regarding the problem so I'll see what they have to say. It seems like a manufacturing problem :#
    "I hate to ask stupid questions but where exactly did you lay him out cold?"
  • parfaitelumiereparfaitelumiere Posts: 153MI6 Agent
    in case of issue, let me know, if you get. refund or so, a defective one should interest me for study and upgrade parts (pen, lighter nozzle, cufflinks)
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    Everyone,

I’d like to start a thread that is a one-stop shop for GG device history, and will add photos once the AJB Gadget Boffins help edit this text. I’m neither a gun expert nor a Golden Gun expert and so appreciate your helpful edits:

The Golden Gun:
    a Tom Mankiewicz concept, based on Ian Fleming novel's “gold-plated, long-barrelled, single-action” .45 Colt Army Revolver (? See the book’s text), used with Francisco Paco “Pistols” Scaramanga’s personally machined bullets, featuring a heavy, soft (24 carat!) gold core, jacketed with silver and dum-dum cross-cut at their tips

*A Cigarette Case becomes a Golden Gun Grip

*A Cigarette Lighter becomes a Golden Gun Chamber

*A Fountain Pen becomes a Golden Gun Barrel

*A Man’s Cufflink becomes a Golden Gun Trigger

The Man with the Golden Gun’s Film Props – Number Produced: 5

1st Version (Production Made): Peter Nelson’s Prototype

Case (Grip): Bears an “S” logo for “Scaramanga”

Lighter (Chamber): Built from two lighters

Design: Part balsa wood with a pin stuck through as connector

Other: The “S” logo appears on drawn versions of the gun in early film publicity materials only

Bullet: Gold with a silver-colored nose and large “007” engraving

*Sold at Christie’s Auction in December 2001 (Sale 275, Lot 9287)

2nd Version (Production Made): Peter Lamont and Ron Quelch’s “Design Zero”

* Made by “Supplier of Gentlemen’s Accessories” Colibri, fragile, dropped and damaged by the actor principals (!), stolen from a display in New York City in 1974

Lighter (Chamber): A modified Colibi Moletric 88 cigarette lighter, which model is shorter than the final, enhanced film prop

Pen (Barrel): Said to have used a Dunhill pen (but was a modified Waterman Plaque Or G Pen with a push-in cap)

Design: A square was applied for a planned “S” monogram, on one side

* Bert Luxford attempted to add special effects to this one (did not work, unused in final cut of film)

* One screen version pen was not modified and is shown writing with ink, Scaramanga’s “cellar note” for a wine reminiscent of a 1934 Mouton Rothschild

3rd Version (Screen Used “Gun No. 1”): From J.S. Rose, London Silversmith Firm

* The three Rose models combined design ideas from the EON team and Colibri

* Under close examination, the three Rose models showed slight differences in their appearance, however, they were quickly built, to meet the film’s production schedule

* Gun No. 1 was the “gadget version” which assembled/disassembled

* Gun No. 1 is still part of EON's prop archive

Case (Grip): Colibri, taken from the Lamont model with a new top locking mechanism added to connect to the lighter

Lighter (Chamber): Colibri, taken from the Lamont model with all internal parts removed and a sliding gun breech added

Pen (Barrel): J.S. Rose modified a Waterman pen to remove all internal components, adding an open barrel end and a removable cap to hide the barrel screw thread

Cufflink (Trigger): J.S. Rose made, gold-plated sterling silver

Design: Silver with gold plating

4th Version (Screen Used “Gun No. 2”): J.S. Rose, solid one-piece version

* For action scenes, wide shots and stunt scenes (Gun No. 2 has the most screen time of the three Rose guns)

* Lacks the logo and decorative elements of Gun No. 1

* Made from brass, as are the screen used “golden” bullets

* Stolen from Elstree Studios in 2008

5th Version (Screen Used “Gun No. 3”): J.S. Rose, solid version

* John Stears modified Gun No. 3 to fire squibs

* Gun No. 3 is visible on screen most in the assassination scenes outside the “Bottoms Up Club”

* Stolen from a 1975 exhibition

Gold “Dum-Dum” Bullet

* Engraved with a small number then sent to 007

* Other bullets were made for the production for Scaramanga’s Chunghwa “Case”, Scaramanga’s Belt Buckle and Lazar’s Warehouse

* A variety of large bullets were used for publicity purposes

SD (Steve Dymzo) Golden Guns

SD 1st Generation Gun - Number Produced: ?

Case (Grip): Lacks a ruby, and is perpendicular to the barrel (Case Lid: Superior finish, with a slanted "lid" when closed, although not given the appearance of a true lid)

Lighter (Chamber): Lacks a Colibri label

Pen (Barrel): Correct pen, with two-component pen barrel so sight may turn while attached to lighter, but pen clip is wrong (Pen Cap: Threaded cap that fits at pen base, and also, atop the gun barrel)

Cufflink (Trigger): Crude with a bare thread that screws to case only and does not secure the lighter (design choices were made from the variety of production models), licensed markings, 24-carat gold-plated metal, quite fragile, engraving is not painted in, “007” engraved case

Bullet: Longer than on other models, breechloader version

SD “Transition” Gun - Number Produced: About 7 Known Examples

Case (Grip): Lacks a ruby but has smoother, non-protruding, lines running down the case (Case Lid: Not slanted)

Design: “007” Case or Wood Plaques (?)

SD 2nd Generation Gun – Number Produced: 700 (?) including 1st and Transition Models (?)

Case (Grip): A spring-loaded locking clip holds the lighter in place (Case Lid: Hinge, and therefore, barrel slant, is too small, with the grip at an angle so that the hinge shows)

Cufflink (Trigger): Too long, trigger is stationary

Design: No license markings, a more accurate replica than the SD 1st Generation (remaining imperfections in design came from choices made from the wide variety of film production models), wood plaque for display, gun’s size is about 5% larger than SD's 1st Generation & Transition Models

Factory Entertainment Golden Guns

FE 1st Generation Gun (And “Signature Edition” Dual Autographed Guns) – Number Produced: 1,000 FE, 400 SE

Case (Grip): Excellent design with monogram square on one side (Case Lid: Also strong design, with hinge showing only a little)

Pen (Barrel): Pen Cap is a pseudo-threaded push-in cap, orange plug added for firearm regulations

Cufflink (Trigger): A spring-loaded trigger, but thread is too long and bar is incorrect

Design: Licensed item, and closest replica to date, cast and machined from aluminum and alloys with 18-carat gold plating, resembles most the version used to shoot Dr. Gibson, size is close to SD’s 2nd Generation, there is some fragility to parts and possible oxidization so owners should avoid overuse of assembly/disassembly/handling, the Colibri logo was left off for trademark reasons, gun weight is 14 ounces, an acrylic stand holds the gun upright inside an acrylic case

Bullet: Resin bullet that loads into lighter, early models with one bullet, later issues added more bullets

“Most Screen Accurate Hybrid” - Number Produced: 1

Case (Grip) FE 1st Gen

Lighter (Chamber): FE 1st Gen

Pen (Barrel): SD 1st Gen Pen, bored along its length to fit a FE 1st Gen lighter (Pen Cap: SD 1st Gen)

Cufflink (Trigger): SD 1st Gen

FE 2nd Generation Gun – Number to Be Produced: Limited to Maximum 2,000

Case (Grip): A raised line has been added to the case’s side with the flat “S” square, to resemble how the film prop looked to have opened

Lighter (Chamber): Screws are visible as lighter opens

Pen (Barrel): Removable thread cap on bottom, removable pen “gun sight” on top that may be rotated around gun to match film scenes with sight upside down, orange marking added to comply with firearms regulations

Cufflink (Trigger): Spring-bladed action, trigger no longer shows on hinge side

Design: Gun weight is 27 ounces, stores horizontally or vertically in a foam-lined, lacquered wood case, liner reverses for assembled or diassembled display

Bullet: Needs a more realistic ignition cap, loads into lighter’s breech chamber

Ok, So, if there are as many GG as you say, where are they ? The calibre gun with inter changeable barrels was stolen, The gun that is in the archive is the Rose Silversmith gun I held it, ive seen the extra barrels and even own one and saw the others in the Archive. The gun stolen from Elstree was a SD Studios gun, and in my ten years of working for the company EON there were only the two guns ever mentioned and in my later years with them I was Megs assistant. So I would like to know more of your research -{ :007) BTW the original barrel I owned was gifted to me by my very good friend PPW306R and I asked if it was ok if I gave it back to the archive, Now it is back where it belongs.
  • Bond Collectors' WeekendsBond Collectors' Weekends Gainesville, Florida USAPosts: 1,882MI6 Agent
    [snip]

Ok, So, if there are as many GG as you say, where are they ? The calibre gun with inter changeable barrels was stolen, The gun that is in the archive is the Rose Silversmith gun I held it, ive seen the extra barrels and even own one and saw the others in the Archive. The gun stolen from Elstree was a SD Studios gun, and in my ten years of working for the company EON there were only the two guns ever mentioned and in my later years with them I was Megs assistant. So I would like to know more of your research -{ :007) BTW the original barrel I owned was gifted to me by my very good friend PPW306R and I asked if it was ok if I gave it back to the archive, Now it is back where it belongs.[/snip]

Thank you! I'm grateful for the input. As I posted above:

I’d like to start a thread that is a one-stop shop for GG device history, and will add photos once the AJB Gadget Boffins help edit this text. I’m neither a gun expert nor a Golden Gun expert and so appreciate your helpful edits:

Which gun in the list is the gun with interchangeable barrels? I don't know.

Which of the five guns mentioned in the list are legitimate? Which details in the bullet points should be moved about?

I apologize for errors in the list and appreciate your corrections. I took details mentioned around AJB, in FE materials, online, etc. and am delighted you will help clear the rumors once and for all.

Thank you again!!
    Seven (007) James Bond Tours! Mission: Mexico!
    No need to apologise Matt, I was just confused as to where you got your information.

The original guns were the Colibri with inter changing barrels and later on through production came the static gun from Rose.

The SD GG after the first generation are not licensed, and the odd editions are parts cobbled together. I even have in my possession what was sold by SD as his own personal GG of which you cant strip like in the film.
  • UNCLE27UNCLE27 EnglandPosts: 1,114MI6 Agent
    I remember seeing (somewhere on an AJB thread) a comparison table comparing the different Guns for accuracy. I don’t think it included the Film props (may be wrong) but certainly included the different SD versions and FE1.

It must have discussed the Film props though as it was comparing the replicas for accuracy.
    UNCLE27 wrote:
    I remember seeing (somewhere on an AJB thread) a comparison table comparing the different Guns for accuracy. I don’t think it included the Film props (may be wrong) but certainly included the different SD versions and FE1.

It must have discussed the Film props though as it was comparing the replicas for accuracy.

Yes, I remember seeing that to, but THE expert in all things SD is Ed Maggiani -{
  • BenSV650BenSV650 Posts: 233MI6 Agent
    My GG arrived direct from FE yesterday as well. Initial impressions are very positive, feels very well made and the gold colour seems more accurate compared to my first FE 1st gen. love the added weight, especially in the cigarette case. Feels really good in the hand. I love how the pen clip can be rotated so that the sights line up when the pen is fully screwed in. One of the biggest problems with my 1st gen is that in order to have the sights lined up correctly the pen can’t be screwed in fully meaning it wobbles.

The biggest improvement in my eyes over the 1st gen is the display case. The new one looks much more elegant and less like a toy display. Slightly disappointed that there isn’t a cut out in the foam to display the bullet when you are displaying the gun built up, not sure why they wouldn’t include that.

It would also have been nice to have a picture frame style hoop on the back of the case to allow it to be easily mounted on a wall.

I would also agree that the slide on the lighter is pretty stiff to slide in and out and the hole for the cuff link to screw into doesn’t line up exactly between the lighter and cigarette case which made it pretty awkward to get the cuff link screwed in. This would be an issue if I was planning to assemble/disassemble regularly but to be honest this will be left in the display case untouched for the majority of its life.

A final minor gripe is the leaflet/instruction manual coming with a black and white print out due to an error in the main leaflet. I understand that FE are working to a budget and timescales however when you’re paying so much for a high end replica it was disappointing that the leaflets hadn’t been re-printed without the error.

Overall very happy with it so far and feel that it is a good improvement over the 1st gen FE gun.

Edit: Also, how is everyone planning on displaying the new gun in the case? Mount it on a wall? In a display cabinet? Side by side with your 1st gen FE or SD guns? Looking for some inspiration.
  • Bond Collectors' WeekendsBond Collectors' Weekends Gainesville, Florida USAPosts: 1,882MI6 Agent
    I built the comparison table and posted it here, it was getting out of control so I made the bullet point list above.

Ed, would love your feedback on the list!
    Seven (007) James Bond Tours! Mission: Mexico!
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent
    What's the difference between the Spectre ring (from Spectre) that FE just started shipping and the previous version?

Boom:

The set is sold out already but they're available individually on the US and UK 007 stores.

• B549WUUB549WUU Posts: 196MI6 Agent

There was talk at one point about the DB5 gear knob - I'm sure this was mentioned in a 'The Bond Experience' video. No news on this...?

Her Majesty’s loyal terrier, defender of the so called faith.

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 814MI6 Agent

I see some folk have thought better of their orders for the Twin set as having been sold out it is once more (at time of writing) available for pre-order again.

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

I'd be interested in a DB5 gear lever if it was done properly. It shouldn't be too difficult - or expensive - to make, I wouldn't have thought, and could make quite an attractive presentation. As it appears again in NTTD, it's vintage and topical.

• BenSV650BenSV650 Posts: 233MI6 Agent

Is anybody else getting frustrated with the astronomical costs of officially licensed props these days? These look nice but £700 for two resin cast masks is insane.

• B549WUUB549WUU Posts: 196MI6 Agent

I prefer the two seperate masks as I can display at opposite ends of a bookcase. Also slightly cheaper I think

Her Majesty’s loyal terrier, defender of the so called faith.

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 814MI6 Agent

Interestingly the price jumped £50 on the twin set about an hour after they went live. Cheeky muthas...

• AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent

Does anybody know any further about when these masks are meant to be shipped out.

wrote to the 007Store asking this in early September, they said they‘re waiting for the producing company.

Now it‘s the middle of October, the movie‘s out and still no sign of shipping.

It‘s very annoying…

The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)

Got mine last week.

• PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent

I've now rec'd both. Didn't relaize the 007 Store limited edition was actually FE as well.