Poll: When and how do you think NTTD will be released?

Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
edited January 2021 in No Time To Die (Bond 25)
Since this has been the topic of conversation here in this fine forum and I'm sure it will remain so for some time, I decided to start a poll. It can be fun and interesting to find out what "everyone" thinks on these important questions, including the lurkers.

NB! This is a multiple answer poll, but if you chose more than two you may have problems making decisions :D

https://vote.pollcode.com/82587694

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    I forgot the final option:
    -NTTD will only be released in streaming services

Please mention it in a post if that's your choice (because I'm too lazy to make another poll :#)
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,052Chief of Staff
    How about "I don't know"?
    We all don't know, so that's too boring.
  • ShatterfangShatterfang Posts: 538MI6 Agent
    I pick November 2022, in streaming and cinema. But there really should be a never option.
    I pick November 2022, in streaming and cinema. But there really should be a never option.

Sad, but true. I forgot an option that said "Streaming only". If that's your choice I reccomend posting your opinion. Sorry.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    I never really post in this part of the forum but I voted for a November 2021 release in the poll. That may or may not be overly optimistic. Time will tell. :D
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent
    In theaters that have soundproof viewing pods (that emit a blast of anti-viral aerosols through the air ducts), at a price of $300 per pod, after we're all dead.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,234MI6 Agent
    I can't even vote on the poll tbh, because even though we all don't know, I don't even feel like I could take a guess... sad times :(

Do you think this will exceed the LTK-GE 6-year gap?
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    In theaters that have soundproof viewing pods (that emit a blast of anti-viral aerosols through the air ducts), at a price of $300 per pod, after we're all dead.

I love your optimism :))
    It just occured to me Mission Impossible 7 premieres November 19.
    It may be relevant...
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    The new date is October 8th,now.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent
    Yeah, pandemic, blablabla.

But I‘m really p*ssed off about with which casualness they make these announcements. You really should think a Hollywood-like production would do more/better than not even a full sentence at 1am in the night.......
    The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
    You shouldn't take these things so personally, e.g, it's 5pm in Los Angeles.
    Yeah, but still...weird timing.

It‘s the fifth delay now (expected of course), they could do „more“ to show they care about the audience and us -the fanbase.

They get DC to record all kinds of stuff but a short video message of him or the producers now is impossible? C‘mon

I guess I don't understand the hangup about wanting a personal message for the fans. We will literally show up no matter what. We're the last, smallest sliver of the audience that needs catered to. In the context of a global theatrical release of a 275 million dollar film, we absolutely do not matter. They have our money. That's a mathematical fact.

On top of that, there's the optics to consider regarding making some show about sending out a message of consolation over a movie delay when 2 million people are dead from the virus causing the delay. Public sentiment can turn (or be turned by competitors) very quickly against a move like that. There are strategic layers to consider.

We are watching all these different companies and entities try to figure out how to operate during this pandemic. An unheard of, unprecedented moment in history. I think it's fascinating! We will get the movie eventually.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,757MI6 Agent

It‘s the fifth delay now (expected of course), they could do „more“ to show they care about the audience and us -the fanbase.

They get DC to record all kinds of stuff but a short video message of him or the producers now is impossible? C‘mon

They don’t care about you. If you decide not to see the film, it doesn’t matter because lots of other people will. Same goes for me and any of us. What a strange sense of entitlement.
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    I thought the announcement was straight to the point.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • frommeyerfrommeyer ChicagoPosts: 418MI6 Agent

I'm grateful they're not forcing me to choose between a movie I want to see and the health of myself and the people around me. They made a financial calculation here, yeah. But, despite that, the decision means a lot more to me than a video message from DC. I had to sit out Tenet and I resent Nolan and WB for it.

They don’t care about you. If you decide not to see the film, it doesn’t matter because lots of other people will. Same goes for me and any of us. What a strange sense of entitlement.

Don‘t call it sense of entitlement. Call it fan service, a thing quite common with other movie franchises. But you and other posters are right, they don’t care for us fans and that shows.

frommeyer wrote:

I'm grateful they're not forcing me to choose between a movie I want to see and the health of myself and the people around me. They made a financial calculation here, yeah. But, despite that, the decision means a lot more to me than a video message from DC. I had to sit out Tenet and I resent Nolan and WB for it.

I just thought it to be nice to put out a short statement along with the decision like: „we can‘t put it out now and understand the disappointment...“

Again, it’s not a sense of entitlement, it’s just what I‘d line to see....personally...as a 20 year long fan. Only my opinion.

• Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    frommeyer wrote:

I just thought it to be nice to put out a short statement along with the decision like: „we can‘t put it out now and understand the disappointment...“

Again, it’s not a sense of entitlement, it’s just what I‘d line to see....personally...as a 20 year long fan. Only my opinion.
    If it's any consolation, I'm in your camp. At this point, I'm tired of the on again/off again tease of releasing a movie that took years to make in the first place. It's likely to be the first Bond movie in my lifetime I did not see in theaters, and given that I usually see them multiple times, they will collect a little less in the till. I realize that doesn't mean anything to some people, but who says it must? We all vote with our dollars, pounds, etc. My vote is just to watch it on video, likely for free.
    I think October makes sense. The poll showed us very few belived NTTD would be released in April anyway. Many here (including me) guessed November, but that would put NTTD in direct competition with MI7. It's not unlikely the worst of the pandemic is over by October and Bond gets released before Mission Impossible. I chose to be optimistic.
  • MikeG77MikeG77 Posts: 1,770MI6 Agent
    Gymkata wrote:
    image0.png?width=544&height=676

The look on DC's face is the look of a man who's been asked one too many times "when is NTTD coming out" and gun says don't ask me again :))
    I know where you keep your gun!
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,118MI6 Agent
    Without wishing to sound too pessimistic, even October '21 might be too soon.

The vaccine roll out is key. The UK Government has said all adults in the UK would be offered the vaccine by September '21. However, that is only the first dose and it now appears there are a fair few reinfection cases in those that have already received their first dose. The vaccine only prevents the most serious symptoms. It does not provide immunity and does not prevent a host passing it on.

Can I see cinemas opening and thousands of people flocking to them by October? I'm not confident. Even if the infection rate falls over the summer months, it's likely to rise again in Autumn/Winter and annual Covid jabs, as with annual flu jabs, could well be the 'new normal'.

If cinemas were to open then it would certainly be a different experience, spaces between seats, face masks mandatory. (Possibly a more Covid secure environment than a packed 3 hour flight though?) Would cinemas be required to install adequate HEPA filtration in HVAC systems?

Sorry for sounding so negative. I really am bursting to see this film and trying stay positive!

Take care everyone and look out for each other. :x
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
    I'm not confident either, but I'm hopeful.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,906MI6 Agent
    UK seems to be doing a very good job of getting folks vaccinated, they might be able to reopen theatres in October. Canada has been a fiasco so far, so I could see the film being released in UK six months before it arrives here. Fair enough, UK's probably the safest market for a British fantasy character, but if that happens I'll just have to disconnect from the internet altogether to avoid spoilers.

After a year and a half there's going to be a lot of long-delayed movies all scrambling to be released as soon as its safe to reopen theatres. More competition than the usual situation where they have the whole calendar year to choose a strategic date. A bigbudget movie that's chosen not to go straight-to-streaming, because it hopes to make more money at the box office, may end up closing the first weekend because there's so much competition when the time finally comes.
  • ShatterfangShatterfang Posts: 538MI6 Agent
    Unlike everyone who is releasing to streaming, Eon is caught in the Law of Sunk costs fallacy. "If we release later we won't make any money and we'll waste our ad campaign. But if we release now we won't make any money." And on it goes.

I voted for never releasing because I don't think theaters are ever coming back. They were going bankrupt long before covid. It will be a 2-year old movie with 1 more delay, it should release directly to the $5 bin at walmart.
    Unlike everyone who is releasing to streaming, Eon is caught in the Law of Sunk costs fallacy. "If we release later we won't make any money and we'll waste our ad campaign. But if we release now we won't make any money." And on it goes.

I voted for never releasing because I don't think theaters are ever coming back. They were going bankrupt long before covid. It will be a 2-year old movie with 1 more delay, it should release directly to the $5 bin at walmart.
    I suspect they're going to lose a good chunk of money even when the theaters reopen. They're gambling that after so long a shut down, people with cabin-fever will flood the theaters in celebration of being out again. I think there will be some of that, at least initially. But the other issue is that in the more than year things have been shut down, people have learned other ways of entertaining themselves, including just staying home and watching a video. A fair number of those people aren't going to be returning to the theaters.

I'm sure EON has dozens of experts who studied the issue financially and otherwise to figure their best option, but I still think releasing the film on home video -- with essentially a captured market -- and then putting it in theaters once things reopened would have been the smarter move. They probably would have picked up a lot of people in the home market who otherwise wouldn't have watched it, and then those who want to see it on the big screen would have paid again for the opportunity. They might still have lost money, but I sense they're going to lose more by just waiting till the theaters open again.
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    I saw a report about NTTD on the BBC news. They said that streaming the film was not really an option because of all the product placement in the film?
    Joshua wrote:
    I saw a report about NTTD on the BBC news. They said that streaming the film was not really an option because of all the product placement in the film?
    It's entirely possible, given all the legal wrangling, but at the same time, I'm not sure how except contractually that might be an issue -- arguably, wouldn't the audiences still see the placement but only from home?

A more authentic explanation seems like they just believe Bond is a premier brand and so the theater experience is the way to go to protect that image. Of course, there may be additional legal considerations. But WW84 was designed to be a tentpole film, and it found its way to home screens (if to less than stellar box office).