Any whiskey gurus in the house?

123457»

Comments

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    It may be a sacrilege in this thread, I have enjoyed recently a sip of

Don Papa 10 Rum!

I‘ve purchased the Standard Don Papa as well, but the 10 is more money well spent.
    If you have the chance, give it a try {[]
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent
    Irish whiskey is pretty good, Scottish too and even English.

Never heard of any decent German whisky, or indeed from anywhere in Europe... :D (Barbel raises an eyebrow...)
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 977MI6 Agent

Never heard of any decent German whisky, or indeed from anywhere in Europe... :D (Barbel raises an eyebrow...)

Nah! Whisk(e)y is like pizza, even bad whisk(e)y is good! :D
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech

You are just wrong again, Nap! :D :D {[]

This brought up some happy tears among some diehard Whisky connaisseurs and it became my absolute favorite!
    Made in Alsace - many of the people there are more german than french

cb98c297a0.jpg

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Eyebrow raised.
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:

Don Papa 10 Rum!

I‘ve purchased the Standard Don Papa as well, but the 10 is more money well spent.

It’s not often I agree with Higgins, but his recommendation of Don Papa 10 is spot on. The Philippines don’t export a lot of rum but the Don Papa range is up there with the very best. I’ve converted PHP into EUROS and I expect Europeans pay a lot more than the 45 euros that I pay here for Don Papa 10.

Incidentally, San Miguel beer must be the Philippines greatest export, alcohol wise, and with granting brewing licences worldwide.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent
    Well I'll be... Okay, I'm gonna try some of that Alsace Whiskey, Higgins! Hang on though, Alsace, isn't that French? ?:) :D
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    This is what I wrote re. Alsace :007)
    Higgins wrote:
    Made in Alsace - many of the people there are more german than french

And I doubt, that you manage to get some Uberach Cask Jaune just like that.
    They are very rare ;)

It’s not often I agree with Higgins, but his recommendation of Don Papa 10 is spot on. The Philippines don’t export a lot of rum but the Don Papa range is up there with the very best. I’ve converted PHP into EUROS and I expect Europeans pay a lot more than the 45 euros that I pay here for Don Papa 10.

Incidentally, San Miguel beer must be the Philippines greatest export, alcohol wise, and with granting brewing licences worldwide.

Don Papa 10 is EUR 69,— here.
    I‘ve had a 28% Coupon for Black Friday at my local Supermarket and as all of the good Whiskys have been gone that day, in my desperation bought Don Papa 10 because I liked the bottle:
    Jackpot!

And will keep it in mind for next Black Friday for sure!

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

Don't forget Welsh whisky: Penderyn is not a bad dram at all. :007)
  • lilusakolilusako Southern California Posts: 311MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:

Don Papa 10 Rum!

I know this is a whiskey thread. The current whiskey this household has been consuming are Basil Hayden and Glenmorangie 10. I enjoy my whiskey but I'm a huge rum connoisseur as well.

Higgens, If you enjoyed Don Papa 10, you might want to take a look into El Dorado 12 (smooth like butter). There is also El Dorado 15 but for price point, the 12 is better priced for what you get. Also Diplomatico Reserve is a favorite amongst my rum friends as well as Zaya. :)
  • Enjoying DeathEnjoying Death Toronto, ON CANADAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    Diplomatico Reserve is an amazing rum. Great choice! You can't go wrong with El Dorado either as far as rums go. I'll have to try Zaya. Never heard of it before. One you didn't mention that I really like is Ron Zacapa. It's a fantastic rum.

As for your whisky choices, it looks as if we have similar tastes. Both Basil Hayden and Glenmorangie are fantastic.
    lilusako wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

Don Papa 10 Rum!

I know this is a whiskey thread. The current whiskey this household has been consuming are Basil Hayden and Glenmorangie 10. I enjoy my whiskey but I'm a huge rum connoisseur as well.

Higgens, If you enjoyed Don Papa 10, you might want to take a look into El Dorado 12 (smooth like butter). There is also El Dorado 15 but for price point, the 12 is better priced for what you get. Also Diplomatico Reserve is a favorite amongst my rum friends as well as Zaya. :)
    Pussy Galore: “My name is Pussy Galore.”
    Bond: “I must be dreaming.”
  • lilusakolilusako Southern California Posts: 311MI6 Agent
    Diplomatico Reserve is an amazing rum. Great choice! You can't go wrong with El Dorado either as far as rums go. I'll have to try Zaya. Never heard of it before. One you didn't mention that I really like is Ron Zacapa. It's a fantastic rum.

As for your whisky choices, it looks as if we have similar tastes. Both Basil Hayden and Glenmorangie are fantastic.

We must have similar tastes! Yes! Ron Zacapa is excellent! I forgot about that one. Sometimes I think rum is way more expansive than whiskey, since you have your silver, golden/amber and dark kinds and where they’re from makes a difference.

To bring it back to whisky. I also enjoyed Glenlivet Caribbean Reserve which is a single malt finished in rum barrels giving it a more fruiter & bright taste. Lately I’ve been all over whiskey being finished in other types of barrels. Recently Basil Hayden created a dark rye blend which is finished in a port barrel and it tastes a little sweeter than the original. Still quite enjoyable!
    edited February 2021
    lilusako wrote:

Thanks for the recommendations {[]
    Will check, what I can find over here.

I am not mainly looking for smooth, but the orange notes really attract me with Don Papa 10.