Guns of Navarone watchalong Thursday 18th 9pm GMT

Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
edited February 2021 in Off Topic Chat
I'm going to try again. I know there are many fans of Guns of Navarone her and I think the movie shares DNA with Bond. We also need fun and social interaction in this time of lockdown. I'm not going to set a time, day or date now. I just want to test the water to see if there is a market for this, and while I hope many will join I don't think we have to be more than 4-5 people. So please post below if you're interested. :)

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    I think the time of the watchalong is open for negotiations at this point :D
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,052Chief of Staff
    I'm in, though I ask that the starting time is about an hour later than last time.
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    If I am available, I think I would be interested.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    I have been looking forward to rewatching The Guns of Navarone, and recently upgraded my DVD copy to Blu-Ray, so I am definitely keen for the watchalong.
    We've got enough people to consider going forward, but we're at an absolutte minimum. I very much hope more people will join up!
    How. Do people feel about a nine o'clock starting time?
    If you have opinions on the weekday and/or date, please post :) i
    Number24 wrote:
    We've got enough people to consider going forward, but we're at an absolutte minimum. I very much hope more people will join up!
    How. Do people feel about a nine o'clock starting time?
    If you have opinions on the weekday and/or date, please post :) i

Would that be 9PM GMT? If so, that makes it 11PM in my time zone which is later than I'd prefer, but I am happy to fit in with the best time for others.
    9pm GMT is okay with me.
    That's GMT, and it's just a suggestion for discussion.
    Are there anyone who prefers 21.00 GMT over 20.00 GMT?
    Any thoughts on weekdays?
    Any day works for me, and 20.00 GMT suits me far better.
    Any day for me, too. Only reason I prefer 21.00GMT is that the kids are still not settled at 20.00 ("I'm hungry", "I'm not tired (yawning)", etc) but I could do 20.00 if it's a help to Golrush and others.
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent
    edited February 2021
    I'm more free any day in the coming week than I'd likely be beyond this week, and I'm free at any time of the evening GMT. I have the bluray too, but am not a huge fan of the movie... if nobody would mind a moderately dissenting voice...
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
    A dissident voice is just what we need. We promise not to poison you and then arrest you when/if you survive. I think we have enough people now to go go ahead (but more people are always welcome), so my goal is for us to agree on the time this weekend. :)
    I think we should decide the time soon. I suggeste having the watchalong on Thursday. What do you think?
    Cool. I could do Thursday.
    Thursday is fine with me.
    Good. If more people have an opinion they need to voice it before Sunday evening, because that's when I plan to set the time and date. Please state your opinion on what time in the evening you can partisipate too. It's not too late to take part in the watchalong until it actually ends, but if you want to influence when it happens you need to post soon. :)
    Gymkata wrote:
    I will attempt to be there on Thursday.
    I hope you can make it :)
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,774MI6 Agent
    Thursdays after 7pm GMT work for Me too. (Apologies for the late notification)
    I will need help finding the film online though.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    I'm happy with Thursday!
    Let's try something new and make it 9pm GMT.
    If someone can't make it because of the time we can change it to a more traditional nine o'clock.
    I'll start threads every where tomorrow. This thread will be turned into the watchalong thread.
    I'm looking forward to it, although it will definitely be a challenge staying awake (I think it will be almost 2AM here by the time the film finishes). :#
    Everyone who wants to join in should be ready at nine o'clock on Thursday and say hallo. Make sure you have the movie paused just as the Columbia logo is finished, but before the movie actually starts. We start the watchalong ten minutes later, at 9.10 pm. Let's have some fun together ! :D
    I'm not sure that I'll have time before the watchalong, but I'm tempted to have a skim through the Maclean novel beforehand to remind myself what the differences are between novel and film.

Navarone.jpg

I've always been rather fond of the first edition jacket art for The Guns of Navarone. It also reminds me a little of the Dr. No first edition jacket's style.
    Re the differences-
    Perhaps the biggest one is that two characters who are men in the book are women in the film. Some names are changed, too, but I can't remember which ones, and some nationalities to fit the actors better (eg David Niven's Miller is an American in the book).
    I really like the design of the book.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    IMG-3856.jpg

:007)
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    Nice double feature box, there, C&D. I don't know about the books, but as a movie 'Force 10' is a rather lacklustre sequel, as I seem to remember - if not without interest to Bond fans in some of the casting (which included Barbara Bach, Richard Kiel and Robert Shaw).
    But the way the dam gets destroyed in Force 10 is origional
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    And it has the ever-watchable Harrison Ford, too...
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."