Pms: Headers are getting deleted when replied

I‘ve had several replies by pm, where the initial headers have been deleted.

I know how lazy those people really are :)) :)) , so I am sure that they don‘t delete the header when replying to my pms
President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent
    Ooh! Ooh! I had that from Barbel today.

What was the header? Not telling you.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M
    What do you mean by the headers? The subject line? I believe it might be part of the current site issues.
    Simon
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Yes, I mean the subject line.

Thanks for your hard working, big boss.
    It wouldn't surprise me if Barbel broke the internet with his imaginary stuff :D :D

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,052Chief of Staff
    You're just saying that cos you got a mention in one this morning. :p
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Not sure, who is more famous on AJB

Myself or my footwear :D :D

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    Don't worry. There are plenty of headers here on AJB to make up for any issues. Myself included, of course. :D
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent

Didn't want to start a new topic, so I'll top this one and ask my question here. With this new site, is there any way to delete old Private Messages? When the new look of the site went live, the envelope up top showed I had 11 Private Messages. These were all old PM's from the old site. Is there a way I can delete these?

Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    edited March 2021

If it's anything like the Private Messages on MI6 Community then I'd say it's not possible for a member to manually delete them as you could under the old AJB software. Both MI6 and AJB now use the same Vanilla forums software. The upside to this is that there's no limit to the amount of Private Messages you can hold in your inbox so you don't need to delete messages as the inbox never gets full. Of course an admin might be able to delete them instead.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    edited March 2021

If it's anything like the Private Messages system on MI6 Community (which runs on the same Vanilla forum software as here at AJB) then the answer is "no" at ordinary member level at least. That's to the best of my knowledge, you understand. I can't speak for what our admin can do of course.

The thing is one of the benefits of the Vanilla forum software is that unlike the old AJB forum the Private Messages don't have a set limit that take up so much percentage of available inbox space. Under this new forum software the Private Messages inbox is unlimited so the need to delete messages periodically to create space is automatically removed. Of course that can be annoying too I suppose as you may want to delete them anyway. Still, inbox space will no longer be an issue one has to worry about at AJB. In my book at least that's a great improvement over the previous forum software.

In short no you can't, you can enter each one and click leave conversation which effectively leaves the message in the recipient's Inbox. However, if you would like me to delete everything you have just say the word and I will remove them from the database.

@Mr Martini @Silhouette Man The Private Message system is very different now, they act more like mini topics and posts in the forum, i.e. you are having your own private discussion rather than sending each other 'emails' as the old Private Message system worked.

With this in mind, the concept of deleting doesn't seem to exist. Also as you have said there is no longer a limit on Private Messages.

One thing I will say is that I believe there is a major problem with the Private Message import which I am looking in to next. I have an Inbox full of messages from 2012 and everything more recent I just cannot find!

I will say that it should be noted that all the Private Messages are not encrypted and are simple messages held in the database. Having said that no one goes through them to see what's in them and only I have access to the database, none of the moderators do.

Please do not share your innermost secrets or nuclear codes in the messages! Although the site is secure it is not on mission-critical hosting infrastructure.

Simon

I've identified the PM problem, basically the import only imported messages to your account that you sent, not messages you received! I am working on a way to migrate the old messages with any new ones which have been sent in the last week.

Simon