Welcome to the NEW Forum

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    edited March 2021

[i]Testing[/i]

Ah, the italics function isn't working- or at least, not in the same way.

[b]Testing[/b]

Bold, too.

Nor can I delete my post.

• SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M
    edited March 2021

I will look into the posting later, it should not be appearing twice.

The emojis are under the little smiley face icon at the bottom of the editor. As for the original emoji if that's what you mean hey may well have to stay in emoji heaven as I am not sure I can bring them back. I believe you can also type a smile and it will work :) Edit That'll be a no!

Simon
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent

Thank you @SiCo for this much-needed upgrade. The mobile functionality is a tremendous help! I see that there is still some styling to do, but it's a tremendous improvement already!

Are spoilers still possible?

Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent

Oh yes I hope so. The search function on MI6 (also Vanilla) is one of the most useless I've encountered!

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

I've gone back and edited posts I made two years ago, when I realised I made a mistake or learned something since the original post. Nice to be able to do that, even just to fix typos or sloppy formatting.

I note right here while "quoting", I can't edit the quote contents. Nice to be able to just quote the relevant text, not the entire post, especially if it's long or mostly offtopic.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent

I've just checked and it seems that there is a way around this on AJB as there is on MI6 Community. Below I've posted a screenshot of how you can use the Google search engine to find if a topic has been covered before or indeed what already exists on that topic on AJB. If you type in what you're looking for (in my example it's Robert Markham) and then put in inverted commas the AJB site name (i.e. "ajb007") it should bring up all the topics concerned as hyperlinks in the results. I know it's a little more work than the old AJB search function was but it's the only way around it using the Vanilla forum software I think.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent

Is it really that much of an issue. Sometimes it’s better to start a new conversation than to resurrect an old one.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    edited March 2021

You can actually search by site on Google, it’s a little better than just quoting text (“...”). For here it’ll be “site:ajb007.co.uk ...” (the ellipsis being the text you want to search).

• JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent

You can actually search by site on Google, it’s a little better than just the quote text option “...”. For here it’ll be “site:ajb007.co.uk ...” (the ellipsis being the text you want to search).

• ggl007ggl007 SpainPosts: 388MI6 Agent

Congratulations and good luck.

It would be useful to change the colors. It's always better to read black on white than white on black... Thanks.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent

Well, there you are. There's always somebody who knows more. I'm no Internet whizzkid I'm afraid. Thanks for providing further clarification about this search method, @JTM. It is the method recommended by the mods on MI6 Community.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

surprise!

yes spoilers are still possible. Tap the format button (inverted P) next to the line you are typing. Then hit the quote marks and select spoiler.

Simon

Apparently the default action for a logged in user is to jump you to the newest post you haven’t read. I haven’t checked it but it seems to be the same thing.

As for unread messages if you go here: https://www.ajb007.co.uk/discussions it shows you the active discussions. This needs work as the dates seem a bit off on some posts. Apparently https://www.ajb007.co.uk/discussions/unread is supposed to also work, however it doesn’t show me anything!

Simon

Search is very tricky to get right unless you’re Google!

I will look for a plug-in, unfortunately the main one appears to be for the paid for software (which is hugely expensive) and not the free one we are using.

Simon
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

thank SiCo for pointing out some of the uses of that formatting/paragraph button.

I notice that I can highlight a chunk of text as I type, and up pops options for bold/italic/strikethru/etc "tags", including hyperlink, and the formatting actually appears as I type, before hitting post, so that's better than the old way of Previewing before posting, one less step. Shall have to experiment with all that.

I also see if I abandon a post after typing a few words, it actually get saved as a Draft, like in my email. Up in the top-right there's a button called "My Drafts", underneath "My Discussions", and I can reopen the abandoned post. That'll be good for preparing longer posts, especially since we apparently can't edit after posting.

Still don't like the way this Quote function works. We used to be able to just copy a chunk of text and add Quote tags, or move the Quote tags around to disentangle nested quotes...

btw I like white text on a dark background, For me it is much easier on the eyes than staring at thin black characters on a big white screen

Yes, and black has always been the traditional AJB forum colour. It's nice to keep that link with the past in place in any upgrade to new forum software. It also helps to differentiate AJB from the other Bond forums like MI6 Community and BaB which use black text on a white background.

Ah that's very clever, thanks. I knew you could use extra things like that in Google but could never remember them!

Shame to lose the functionality to be able to search thread titles only, or by user etc.

Weird, my post didn't post when I pressed 'post comment', and then it reappeared in the box. Let's see if it works this time.

edited March 2021

Sometimes it's nice to just be able to read old threads and find the information in them; a forum isn't all about arguing. So no need to be argumentative about it! 😁

Brilliant; thank you!

(sorry for the multiple posts; can't work out how to copy a bit of quoted text to stick it in a previous post with an edit..? )

It's really not the end of the world. The main thing is the fact the forum has been successfully upgraded and saved from collapse or having to start with a totally clean slate. These are just little nighles and there are ways around them such as using the Google search engine to search AJB.

I'm guessing the tricky part of the search function has to do with the algorithms inserted into the software or their equivalent. I may be completely wrong but I know that's how Google sorts what out what is most relevant in its searches. A process of sorting the wheat from the chaff, you could say.

Looking elsewhere for ideas how to search in this new Vanilla forum, I found Vanilla itself has a forum, and its Search function looks like THIS (I just used the hyperlink tag for the first time, and it seems to work: click where I typed the word THIS).

That differs from what we have in that there is a dropdown arrow next to the magnifying glass, which opens up more complex search options. Can we not get that dropdown arrow in our search window?

Maybe that more complex Search is done with this PlugIn/AddOn available from that Vanilla forum? (doing that hyperlink thing again)

I cant tell if that costs money, it doesn't say it costs money. Looks like it is dependent on some coding stuff I don't understand (bootstrap? javascript?), that's all above my paygrade.

• JoviusJovius Albuquerque, NMPosts: 42MI6 Agent

I appreciate all the work you've put into this. I just started revisiting these forums.

Have an issue where I can't change my location. I'll set a location, then it will revert back.

• MikeG77MikeG77 Posts: 1,770MI6 Agent

So how do i see my messages in my outbox or is that something that is still being worked on?

I know where you keep your gun!
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    edited March 2021
    Testing copy and paste

Edit: As seen above, this turns up white on black

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

I also really appreciate the hard work you've put into this Si - I'm sure the little niggles will iron out soon.

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

Good find, I will look into installing that, it does appear to be free. The one Vanilla seems to use or discuss in their documentation is only on their hosted plans (i.e. they run the forum and you pay to use it) where as I have taken the free software and installed it on my own host. Vanilla seems to have such a high monthly cost that they don't even tell you the price upfront!

Simon

Thanks, yes I noticed that oddity! I have done exactly as they say but still can't get it to work. I will sort it out once I sort some of these colouring issues out.

Simon
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Posts: 296MI6 Agent

Looking great thus far!

The only thing that I miss from the old forum, is the date of the most recent post/comment not appearing next to the posters name. It would be great if that feature were brought back.

Thanks for all your hard work!

James Bond Australia - Website | Twitter | Mastodon | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Newsletter

Bond on the Box - Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | LetterBoxd | YouTube