Welcome to the NEW Forum

Comments

• SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M

Yes, the dates and times is an odd issue, it seems to show something within a set time and then hides everything! It's on my list.

Simon

I don't actually know the answer to that at the moment! I will see what I can find out, my Private Messages are messed up and only showing really old ones as if they are new. I need a bit of time to explore the system and check the import worked properly!

Simon
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,118MI6 Agent

Thanks for all your hard work Si. The new fonts and format will take a bit of getting used to (for those of us over 45!) but hopefully will feel like the same comfortable pair of slippers the old site felt like before too long. I'm sure there are so many benefits to the new site both for the user and behind the scenes, so thank you again for looking after us all.👍️🤵

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Just to let you know this is now installed, it needs a bit of work on the style but seems to work. I've also added a link to search in the navigation bar which takes you straight to the advanced search page.

Simon
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    edited March 2021

One thing I have noticed is that when you quote a post (as SiCo did directly above) the text in the post is of a very light grey colour. I wonder is there any way to change this to black text so that it would be easier to read what it says? Thanks!

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,906MI6 Agent

hey thanks for giving it a try! hopefully its not too buggy, and it satisfies other users' Search requirements!

I noticed it works slightly different than our old Search, but I could successfully search for all posts by a given user (filter by UserName), search in discussion title (thread title) or in discussion contents.

Couldn't get Filter by Category (subforums) to work, and didn't see the archived subforums amongst the choices.

To find an exact string, and not just one random word out of several. choose Return only exact occurrences, the last button. I think I used to use double quotes, or AND, to find exact strings, but neither of those work in this Search.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,906MI6 Agent

yeh, Quoting seems to be the biggest outstanding issue. In several ways those Quotes are not quite right.

1. Can only quote the entire post, can't edit it down to just a section.
    2. Pale grey text in the quote block.
    3. Quotes within quotes seem to be turned into links to posts rather than the actual content (at least that proves we can somehow link to an individual post). That's even worse than nested quotes.
    4. Formatting seems to get undone, including embedded videos and graphics.

(hey I just tried the Ordered List function, and used the Paragraph function to get out of the list, as SiCo predicted it would work!)

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent

Just curious, how do I go to the first unread post? Been trying to figure it out and I'm lost as to how to do it. This new style will take a lot to get used to. Lots of things going on. I guess once I get used to it, everything will be ok. Just will have to get used to it.

Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    edited March 2021

@Mr Martini The forum handles this automatically, as long as you are logged it the link to any topic should take you to the last post you personally read. However I am looking into add a specific link, I believe the last post my "SiCo" or whoever shown on the list should link to the last post, not to the User Profile.

Also please list out your concerns, the design is honestly an open book and I am working to fulfill most peoples requests. We are fixed on the background software and with that come some limitations, however the design should be fairly editable (although it's taking a lot of back and forth to find out what changes where!).

Simon

Yes, this is a bigger problem than I ever imagined and it's all to do with the Rich Editor as they call it. Unfortunately, it seems the background colour of quotes is the same as the background colour of the editor which is not what I want. I think the editor should be white like a standard text box is all over the internet and the quotes should be more subdued but with the same colours as the forum. I am working on it!

Simon
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent

The new search looks great!

Just a couple of thoughts, I may have missed and apologise if already raised;

1) Is number of posts no longer going to be shown as part of the users profile?

2) Post number is not shown, which can be useful for cross referencing and checking back. e.g. when someone says "see my reply in post number 622"

• IceQIceQ Posts: 298MI6 Agent

just a couple of thoughts -

last post date has disappeared - i found this quite useful, i.e. knowing i'd seen the latest addition rather than seeing 'latest comment by Asp9mm' and not knowing if it was a new one.

Private messages - have lost all 'other user' data so appear to be just me talking to myself - difficult to find conversations i've had with others.

On the plus side it looks a lot fresher!

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters

Thank you for this tip @emtiem. The long list of announcements always sitting at the top of the recent discussions list was bugging me until I saw your advice and I was able to dismiss them.

Agree with you IceQ. That was useful and would be good if it could return.

• writingsonthewallwritingsonthewall SpainPosts: 417MI6 Agent

Testing. Not much to say at the moment, but the new look is certainly eye-pleasing. Congrats on the effort!

"Enjoy it while it lasts."
    "The very words I live by."
  • MrEddy21MrEddy21 LondonPosts: 416MI6 Agent

How to you see which topics have new posts, like the old days? 🤣

New layout is gonna take some getting used to, but a nice refresh all the same.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent

They have the word 'new' written next to them 😊

1) Is number of posts no longer going to be shown as part of the users profile?

@The Red Kind I have found a plugin and this is now active again, who knows if it's correct!

Post number is not shown, which can be useful for cross referencing and checking back. e.g. when someone says "see my reply in post number 622"

This has been mentioned already and I am looking for an answer so hopefully, they will be back!

Simon

Yes the post date can't of gone far but I can't find it! I'm working on it.

As for Private Messages there seems to have been a problem with the import, I am attempting to find an answer but it might be easier said than done now the forum is live.

Simon

I have fixed the colouring on quotes, however it has made inline quotes (clicking the formatting tools quote) now appear too dark! I just can't win with this!

Simon
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent

Don't worry. You're getting there and doing a great job for all of us. It's much appreciated, @SiCo!

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent

Thank you! I noticed this as soon as clicked on the topic. Its actually a nice feature.

Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

Does anyone else have a tab labelled "Cookie Policy" at the bottom of their phone screen? I can't get it to go away, whether I decline or agree.

It's not always visible to me now but it does pop up when you get close to it. This is a temporary measure until I can do some research and find a decent cookie popup. I will see if I can remove the tab as it's unnecessary.

Simon
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

Thanks, boss.

• hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent

I love tbe notification system. Before tbe update, you had to sub to a thread to get notifications by email.

I hope it's permenant.

Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"

It should be permanent. It's part of the Vanilla forum software over on MI6 Community too. As you say, it's very convenient and rather apt too in this age of social media notifications.

It’s good. I have no plans to change it although I may default some of the more obscure options to off by default. I have heard Vanilla can cause gmail to mark the domain as spam due to the number of emails it sends. I don’t want that!

Simon