Welcome to the NEW Forum

Comments

• SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M

@sunny01 please reset your account by clicking the button at the top of the screen to 'Mark All Viewed'.

This will mark everything as read and then start again. The discussions page here: Recent Discussions — ajb007 should only then have one announcement fixed to the top by me about the new forum. The only other announcements should appear only when they have new posts.

Can you let me know how this goes and if this makes the experience any better?

I am working on a way to filter the new posts in a forum. Can you describe how you visit the site and what you want to see and I will try and make it work as you wish. For the most part with the different colours and new icons, it seems to me that it's pretty similar now.

Simon
  • sunny01sunny01 Posts: 524MI6 Agent

Hi Simon thanks for all your effort. I’m afraid I still find the new forum difficult to navigate compared to before. Now the old version has gone its difficult to put my finger on exactly what is different. I seem to recall the old one had (new) next to the title in bold type so it stood out and when you clicked on that it linked to the most recent post. I have tried to reset as you suggested but I don’t notice any difference and I am unable to find the most recent posts on a topic. Thanks anyway.

• OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 583MI6 Agent

Hi Simon, thanks for looking into this, I'm sure there's lots to do with the new forum. Just wanted to mention that this doesn't seem to work for me either. "Recent Discussions" I think is the function I am looking for in theory (show me just the new stuff since my last visit), but even if I click "Mark All Viewed" before leaving it always brings up 100 pages of topics, including those which have no new posts.

"I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent

Ah that's very clever, thanks. I knew you could use extra things like that in Google but could never remember them!

Shame there's no functionality to search through thread titles only or by user etc.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent
    edited March 2021

@emtiem said: Shame there's no functionality to search through thread titles only or by user etc.

using Google or using this forum's search?

with this forum's search you can do both

this search for example returns all of the Boss's posts in threads with John Barry in the title. Appears he's made one or two.

unfortunately the Search by Category dropdown doesn't seem to be working, they're all there but all greyed out. Everything else seems to work.

click on the magnifying glass symbol in the right of the Search window if youre not seeing all these Search options

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent

Yes, it's an old tip from the mods over at MI6 Community which uses the same Vanilla forum software. As @caractacus potts says above I posted that possible search solution before @SiCo added the search feature to the forum which now includes searching thread titles by username.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent

Can't imagine what a task this all has been. Thank you for keeping the forums intact and running!

My note is minor, and I've scanned through these five pages to see if it's been asked - if I've missed it, please forgive me:

When folks post links to outside sites in their posts, is there a way to have that link open in a new tab instead of taking me away from the forum?

• MikeG77MikeG77 Posts: 1,770MI6 Agent

I'm not sure which browser you're using but if you hover over the link and right click on it you should have the option to open it in a new tab.

I know where you keep your gun!

I have read about that as a possible plugin on the Vanilla forums. It’s debated in the web world whether that feature should be enforced by the site or up to the user? I’m of the opinion the user should decide not the site.

I’m happy to look into it if others agree it would be a good feature.

In the meantime if you use a mouse then click the link using the wheel button and it will open in a new tab (this is my everyday method). Or I think hold ctrl and left click will do the same.

On an iPhone you long press the link and it gives you options to open in a new tab.

Simon

I need to look into fixing the search bits that don’t work. I’d forgotten about that!

Simon

So recent discussions always shows you everything on the site but in date order. So yes every time it will show you hundreds of pages, however the changed topics should be at the top and highlighted with the new flag.

I think I need to ask one of you to change your password and let me login as you to see what’s going on. I have a test account but of course I don’t post with it so don’t get the true experience. As far as I can see from my main account the highlighting works as I would expect it to so I’m a bit lost with what’s going on.

Simon

I have just added links to the pages of a discussion, I have decided to display page 1, then the last two pages. I hope this helps you navigate a little easier. Do remember that if you visit logged in the main link to the topic takes you to the newest page you haven't read.

Simon
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent

I have to say with a heavy heart that the upgrade is not for the better IMO.

I'm finding it very difficult to read in that the posts all seem to blend into one. It's all a bit of a mess.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff

I think the actual using of the site is much easier now, although I do agree that the posts blend in as the old site displayed posts in alternate background colour - with a much clearer split between them...

YNWA 97

I agree and I’m working to fix it, it’s is easier said than done most of the time!

Unfortunately this was a rushed necessity and although it was planned to happen at some point, the errors forced my hand with no time to design anything. The old site cannot come back as it physically doesn’t work, I have an old copy working so I don’t forget the design but they are two vastly different systems

It would be a great help if you could screenshot what you don’t like and mark and describe how you think it should be.

Speed meant I was forced to pick a template to work from and this is what you see.

By posts blending together do you mean the topics lists or the individual posts?

Simon

I will look at that I don’t remember it being alternating. I do remember it having lighter dividing lines. Again is it posts of the topic lists that are the problem?

Simon

Don't get me wrong Simon I really appreciate how you've kept this forum going and for so long. I still really enjoy it.

The forum is definitely easier to navigate and is a lot quicker so there are plenty of positives.

My only gripe really is the reading of the posts. They are very tightly packed and peoples signatures just blend into the posts which really doesn't help. The avatars are also very small.

I know this is a work in progress.

My apologies if I came across wrong, unfortunately I was in a bad mood prior to reading your post! I appreciate the constructive criticism as if I don't know what's wrong I can't fix it!

So in effect, the problem is that the posts run on to each other with no clear definition between them? I can fix that. Avatar sizes I'm not so sure I can amend but I will have a look.

I will concentrate on the display of posts this week.

Simon

I’m not sure if it’s my bad memory playing up though 😳🤣

I do recall a more clearly defined delineation between posts though...all things said, I actually prefer how the site loads now and how easier it is add content 🍸

YNWA 97

Don't worry about it. I was also a bit grumpy and it was late at night. My peepers are a lot older than they were when I first joined!

More definition between posts would be great if you can rectify that. 😁

• JellyfishJellyfish EnglandPosts: 462MI6 Agent

In regard to Lady Rose's post above, I find the threads a bit more difficult to follow than with the previous version of the site. I think part of the reason is that posts were previously divided into two parts: the user's name, post count, picture etc. would be on the left, with the post text itself on the right. You could read the posts going straight down easily from one to the next. With the new layout, the user information as well as their comment appears in the same space, so you read a comment, then have to go past the user information, then read the next one, and so on. Having so much text between the actual comments, which is what I come here to read, makes it a bit less straightforward. The signatures at the bottom of the post also make it a bit less simple, and I've never understood the point of them anyway.

Are people having issues using the PM function and i noticed that my bookmarks are gone. Will the bookmarks be coming back and will we have access to the outbox so I can see if the receiver has viewed my message?

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

Agree 100% with your point Jellyfish and the previous comments from Sir Miles and Lady Rose.

I would say however that I think the signatures are a nice individual touch. Perhaps, if the member information is moved back to the left then the signature could be placed underneath the member's user name, location, number of posts. Rather than having another line at the bottom that's contributing to the 'blending' issue.

I think it would also help (and this can only be done by members themselves) if everybody had their own avatar picture again. The stock faces take away the familiarity and personal feel the old site had in this regard, and yes, if they were bigger it would be better. If members don't change their avatar, would it be possible to make their name more pronounced so it's clear to see who has written the post in the thread.

Thanks once again Si👍️

"Any of the opposition around..?"

I find the PM function far more simple now, and you can even add others into them 👍🏻

I understand what you mean about having access to the outbox to see if your message has been read, but that’s not an issue for me 🙂

YNWA 97

So does that mean that the Outbox is something that i won't be able to view going forward?

edited March 2021

@Lady Rose @Sir Miles I have tweaked the post layout, reduced the prominence of signatures and the user info and added some white lines. However, this now hides the user name as well! Is this any better?

@The Red Kind You are right it is the position of the user information that is the problem. This seems to be a 'modern' layout method, probably because it's easier to 'mobile friendly' it if everything is already on top of everything else. I will look into the possibility of moving the information around, unfortunately it probably means digging deep into template changes which I try to avoid in order to make it easier to upgrade.

The old forum had a darker grey background on the posts, it didn't alternate.

Simon

What's your issue with the Private Messages? There are still issues with all imported messages which I am still working on fixing.

As far as I know all new messages work well. The Outbox is not a feature of this new software, effectively your Inbox is your Outbox as all your messages live in the Inbox. However, there doesn't appear to be a way of showing if any of the messages have been read, I will look into this.

Simon

@Jellyfish you can turn off all signatures from within your profile, this hide everyone's signatures.

Signature Settings — ajb007

Simon

Personally @SiCo I'm finding the layout much improved, so thanks for the changes. 🙂

Must have been my memory playing tricks on the alternate background colour 🙈😳

The new site takes a bit of getting used to at first - not many people like change...but it’s certainly a improvement 🍸

YNWA 97