Budget Bond Collectors Resource

Comments

• canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent

@SiCo and @Sir Miles Thank you gentlemen!

I tried posting the link directly into the comment again (without using the "Link" function in the menu below), and I like you, the first time caused the error message. But it did work the 2nd time.

Next time I will try the link function in the menu at the bottom as Sir Mile's suggested to see if it prevents the problem.

Cheers and all the best!

John

Morning! New post is up: alternatives for the NTTD Omega

As per usual, I skipped listing any outright fakes. But there are a couple of very close "homage" watches I included. Cheers!

Have an awesome day, gang!

John

• JellyfishJellyfish EnglandPosts: 461MI6 Agent

My first post since the site redesign-let's see how it goes!

Alternative for the Drake's boots worn in Matera, from Loake's new collection:

https://www.loake.com/product/daniels-dark-brown-suede/

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent

Great stuff! That Christopher Ward is a very nice looking one I hadn't seen before.

Do you know the Phylida SE-11? That's a very similar homage to the Pagani I believe.

• DellDell Posts: 9MI6 Agent

People who bought the Massimo Dutti Solden jacket alternative,is it thin and meant to be a layer or it can be worn as a jacket?Is the front puffy?Any photos of it?Thank you.

edited March 2021

I did look at the Phylida and thought about including it as an alternative. Someone even left a link to his video review of it in the comments for the article.

I decided not to include it for 3 reasons. First, the version they are currently selling on AliExpress doesn't have the mesh strap. Second, as far as I could tell, the only place they are selling that model is on AliExpress and when it comes to these obscure Asian watch brands I feel more comfortable suggesting people buy them on Amazon or Ebay since they will at least have some buyer protection (as I'm sure you know AliExpress is a bit like the wild west of online retailing and I've heard lots of horror stories of people's money just disappearing or them being sent the wrong thing and not having any recourse to correct the problem).

But the third reason is probably the one that was most important to me. Phylida included the arrow at 6 o'clock, which we all know is a mark signifying that the watch is "approved" by the British Ministry of Defense. It's a special symbol and I imagine Omega worked pretty hard to deserve it and/or get permission to use it. When it comes to looks, the other design elements of the NTTD watch aren't really that rare on their own (scalloped bezel, aged lumes, dot/baton indices combo, skeleton hands, etc.). I think Omega did a great job of bringing all those elements together to create a cool vintage looking watch. But other watch manufacturers have used those same elements in various combinations before (for example that Steinhart design that's now more than 10 years old). However that 6 o'clock arrow adds something truly unique to the Omega. So Phylida copying that was crossing the line for me.

Pagani and Heimdallr (the other two watches in the post I would classify as "homages bordering on rip offs") didn't use that arrow on their designs. Plus you can get the first on Amazon (so the buyer is pretty protected) and I know two people that have Heimdallr watches and are happy (so I have recommendations from people I trust). So they made the list.

Hope that makes sense!

• RonBerryRonBerry Posts: 17MI6 Agent

I've got a couple.

In the UK, I rate it at around 5 - 10 degrees Celsius clothing. Below 5, I'm very cold wearing it. Above 10 I'm too hot.

All a matter of perspective, body make-up, etc. But I always wear mine with a merino wool turtleneck, so that might contribute to the overall performance.

Fair enough; I very much put Pagani and Phylida as very similar brands (Aliexpress frequently uses Paypal now; it's not really all that bad) and I think lots of people find Phylida to be a pretty decent brand. As for the mesh strap, I think a lot of the watches on your page don't come with that, do they? Fair point about the broad arrow.

• kristopherm3kristopherm3 Posts: 156MI6 Agent

Hey John,

My Banana Republic 'Winch' alternative trousers successfully arrived from the US today and I'm so pleased I ordered another pair!

A great alternative you found for us.

Cheers,

Kris

Yes reading John’s site is dangerous: my Persol 714s arrived yesterday! :D

@emtiem I'll look into adding some more Warnings to the site! 😁 Enjoy those Persols!

@kristopherm3 Glad you got them and like them!

New (old) post: I updated the alternatives and reworked the one for the SPECTRE polo.

Cheers!

John

I hear what you're saying. And the truth is the line for me sometimes gets a little blurry when it comes to what alternatives to share and what to leave out. The only thing I can add is that most of the watches in that post weren't trying to be "homages" to the NTTD watch. So I was willing to sacrifice the mesh band on those. But the Phylida is very much an "homage", so not having the mesh bracelet was a little weird. But, as I said, that arrow was really what got it cut from the post. Good to know AliExpress is getting cleaned up! I'll need to check there more often for alternatives.

Cheers!

John

Morning all!

Post update/new post again, this time for the SPECTRE Kenton boots

I'm heading out to go skiing, so enjoy your Sunday, gang!

John

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent

Reis have yet another solden alternative, in navy, not hugely budget at £165, but not Tom Ford money either, and it will be good quality.

https://www.reiss.com/p/zip-through-quilted-jumper-mens-trainer-in-navy-blue-aw19/

It was either that.....or the priesthood

Looking for some reasonably priced tailored swim shorts ? Reef knots is a company who use recycled ocean plastic, these shorts do have a light pattern but the effect is similar to orlebar brown . https://reefknots.com/products/blue-wave-tailored-swim-shorts and at £39 too.

• JTullock23JTullock23 ArizonaPosts: 552MI6 Agent

I found another Solden Alternative by Ted Baker. It is called London Ridez, I think.

"History isn't kind to men who play God." - DC "I gave him the limp." - PB "Better make that two." - TD

"Keeping British end up, sir." - RM "This never happened to the other fellow." - JL "I must be dreaming." SC

Sorry guys! Went away for the weekend to get some last spring skiing in. Got back this morning.

@Chriscoop awesome finds as usual! Those shorts are great!

@JTullock23 I think I just replied to you on Instagram! Sorry again about taking so long to contact you there. After a year away, I completely forgot how messaging works on that site. But I'll include that Ted Baker in an upcoming post with credit to you.

New post is coming on Thursday! Wanted to get one up tomorrow, but I'm a little too beat to manage it. 20 years living in a tropical country did nothing for my skiing skills (or muscles!).

Cheers!

John

Couldn't sleep last night, so I got up early this morning and finished the post on alternatives for the Matchless jacket

One very nice thing I found: Linea Fashion is having a pretty big sale on the original Matchless right now! It's down to around $970, which is about $700 less than Matchless is selling it for ($1680)!

Tomorrow I hope to have the post on the Cucinelli chinos alternatives. Next month I'll look at the sport coat and tie when we get some more spring stuff into the stores.

Cheers!

John

That's a big saving: amazing work!

That is a good saving, you don't normally see Matchless discounted to that extent.

@canoe2 , I've noticed you've got a bit of thing for the ohmss piz Gloria smock! Have you considered trying to track down a Belstaff Dalesman? Even some 60s vintage ones crop up now and again.

@Chriscoop Those are great! I definitely need to keep my eyes open for one of those!

Do you the Vintage Showroom? I have their book and one of the pieces in their collection is a vintage canoe smock:

Fell in love with it the second I saw it. The Belstaff definitely reminds me off it. Wallace & Barnes (the J.Crew brand) did a version a few years ago and I'm still kicking myself for not picking one up.

Is that where your screen name comes from? 😀

Hi All!

Need some help: someone here posted alternatives for the BP Norton sunglasses (there was 2 pair from Ray-Ban and 1 pair from Amazon). And I can't find the post or who it was! I need to know so I can give them credit in an upcoming post.

Thanks!

• JB1106340JB1106340 Posts: 434MI6 Agent

The new Bond Experience video (excellent as always) made me think about the wide variety of linen shirts Bond has worn across the series now (TB, YOLT, DAD, CR, SP, NTTD). This would be a fantastic article for Iconic Alternatives to delve into with the wide colour spectrum in there!

Post update: new alternatives for the SPECTRE Cucinelli Chinos

Lots of solid options this spring, which I was very happy to see!

Budget Style post is coming on Sunday. If anyone can let me know who posted about those sunglasses, I'd appreciate it! I went back in the thread even further and I think it was @JTM ? Not sure if someone posted about them earlier than that.

Cheers!

• James BoldmanJames Boldman Amherst, MAPosts: 461MI6 Agent

I just purchased the Curry & Paxton Alex from Mason & Son's. They are great sunglasses (my wife loved them so much I ordered her a pair) , I think they would be a great alternative for the BP Norton's and at less than half the cost.

https://us.masonandsons.com/collections/sunglasses/products/honey-stripe-alex-sunglasses

• ThomoThomo ReadingPosts: 949MI6 Agent

The quality of the Curry and Paxton glasses are fantastic too. I have two pairs and absolutely love them