Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

Can anyone help Rintoul16 get a copy of his audiobooks before he hijacks every thread in this site, please? 😁

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,702MI6 Agent

The state of the art heating system in my house. It's highly effective and quite small, just a few inches more than six feet high. πŸ˜„

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent

I'm guessing it's some sort of stove? Looks like it would emit plenty of heat anyway!

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

My great grandparents bought the stove back in 1910. It gives off plenty of heat. Usually it's the only heat source in the house and I often stop feeding more firewood into it about nine PM, residual heat is enough for the rest of the evening. It's quite a contraption!

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent

Ah, I see. I thought it would be a good age. That's great that it still works. Things were certainly built to last in those days, unlike today's disposable culture. Yes, it certainly is quite a contraption! I've never seen anything like it. I have a Rayburn Royal Range dating from about the 1960s in my house along with the central heating. It certainly gives out plenty of heat too it burns peat, coal or logs depending on what solid fuel you care to use. It usually needs a little coal to get it started and then it can burn peats the rest of the day or night. It looks virtually the same as this one except our range has two separate hotplates instead of one:

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

That's very different from my heating device, mot no less noteworthy. πŸ˜ƒ

edited March 2021

Yes, it is indeed. It's a bit more modern looking but still a fair age itself by now. My family bought it almost like new in the 1980s and we've used it ever since. However, as long as they both provide a good source of heat, that's all that really matters!

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent

Now that the Coronavirus thread has been closed, how about Barbel reopens the Not-so-short-lived Political thread?! You know it makes sense.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

The Not-So-Short-Lived-Pandemic-Thread? Perhaps we'd could do an AJB interview with Pres Macron? 😬

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

🀣 Thank you for the ideas, but I've now re-opened the Coronavirus thread.

edited March 2021

That thread (including my own UK Politics Thread which was permanently closed in September 2019) was shut down for very good reason. I'm afraid experience has shown that such threads lead to too many petty back-and-forth circular arguments that go nowhere fast. I said nothing at the time about the closure of my UK Politics Thread as I was weary of the arguments and welcomed its closure. Of course in effect it made little difference anyway as there was the other newer (supposedly) Non-Argumentative Politics Thread still in existence. Of course it's been closed and reopened a few times since then, again for good reason. There are plenty of political forums on the Internet or Twitter where that sort of thing can be discussed. I say that in spite of being a political animal myself. I mostly stopped posting in any of the political threads in October 2019 and have never really looked back since. I would highly recommend it to other AJB members as a good life choice.

I'm still interested in politics of course but I just don't think that James Bond forums are the best arena in which to discuss such often contentious matters online. I had all of my political threads closed over at MI6 Community in February 2020 by request of the mods and I'd suggest the same type of policy be applied here at AJB. Even when you do close any of the Politics threads there still seems to be the phenomenon of political discussion leaching into other threads such as the one on Coronavirus which I take it has been closed due to more political squabbling. To be honest it's another thread I stay well clear of due to the nature of the subject being discussed and the petty point scoring that goes on there. A case in point (if it were needed) that politics is a toxic subject for any Bond forum.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

Thank you, SM, that sums things up nicely.

I do feel that Coronavirus is an appropriate subject to discuss, as long as it does not descend into the kind of arguments you mention above, since it is the most important thing happening in the world right now. The thread is open again as long as things stay polite and impersonal.

I read somewhere that using wood stoves for heating is illegal in the Netherlands. Can anyone confirmed or deny this?

I now remember where I read this claim. Lars Mytting has written a book about....... firewood titled "Hel ved" ("Norwegian wood"). You may not be surprised the book has sold well in this country, but you will be shocked that it's been translated into many languages and seen healthy sales internationally. A newspaper article reported this and said: "It's even been published in the Netherlands where using stoves for heating is illegal."

The use of wood stoves in the Netherlands has not been regulated as yet but the lobby group in this article has called for it to be:

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2018/03/lobby-group-calls-for-action-on-polluting-wood-burning-stoves/

I can see the advantages of not using stoves even though no other heating source creates such a nice atmosphere. The Netherlands is a small and densely populated country, and I imagine there aren't a lot of forrest to be used for firewood there. Air quality must be an issue. It's a problem in some cities here too. In this neck of the woods it's more a matter of controling the wooded areas. Today my father and I were cutting trees, by the way. It's manly work for real men, as Monthy Python has pointed out.

• JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent

I didn't know where to post this so I put it here.

I watched OHMSS today (again!). When I first started to get interested in the world of Bond it was one of my least favourite things, now it is among my favourites. I especially like George Lazenby in the role as, just like Sean Connery, he is not play acting at being tough.

My question is this. On the beach when Bond has just rescued Tracy and Draco's men appear, why does one of them hold a knife to her throat? Surely they are there to protect her? As I type I realise that they might not be Draco's men? If not, who are they?

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff

Yes, they are Draco’s men. I think these guys on the beach hold a knife to Tracy’s throat to stop her from struggling and (possibly) trying to fight them off - and to discourage Bond from action against them...that way they can take her with minimum fuss and effort.

YNWA 97

Spring is a wonderful time of the year...

edited April 2021

Yes, witnessing the garden blooming in April brings joy to my heart ☺️

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

Ha! You have our tomorrow's weather, today N24. It's been glorious (relatively) here today 16°C bright sunshine. Tomorrow will be dull and 2°C.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Will there be snow in Britain too tomorrow?

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent

It’s 7am as I type this on Mactan and it’s already 27C 😁

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent

We've had snow this morning and according to my weather app we're having rain at 1pm then sunshine at 2pm.

Just need some wind then I think we'll have a full set!!

Tonight we had snow and strong wind. I felt that was enough for April, but then the thunder and lightening started. πŸ‘πŸ˜‚

edited September 2021

I'm in danger of turning this thread into the weather thread, but I need to tell someone of all the snow I've shoveled today.

We had a bit of snow here yesterday but it's melted away again. There are still occasional flakes of snow that blow around in the wind and it is still very bitterly cold so there could well be more snow on the way. There are some flakes of snow falling as I type this in fact. It comes and goes but isn't lying this time around.

The spring continues....

edited April 2021

I just read the US is experiencing a crippling ketchup shortage. As a survivor if the great Norwegian butter shortage of 2011 my heart goes out to you. πŸ€—