No Time to Die delayed until October 8th, 2021

Comments

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    If they did CG his hands in they did an amazing job. Just matching the constantly-changing lighting can't have been easy.

It's just a couple of shots - there's also, as you say, a continuity jump in which his gloves are back on more quickly than he could have possibly put them back on.

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/07/01/daniel-craigs-007-digital-hand-scandal-the-untold-story
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    If they did CG his hands in they did an amazing job. Just matching the constantly-changing lighting can't have been easy.

It's just a couple of shots - there's also, as you say, a continuity jump in which his gloves are back on more quickly than he could have possibly put them back on.

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/07/01/daniel-craigs-007-digital-hand-scandal-the-untold-story

Ah cool; we've come to the same conclusion! :)
    I wouldn't say there's a split second gap and he couldn't possibly have put them on in that time though- there's quite a few seconds where Bond is offscreen after he pockets his gun and we're watching Patrice assemble his rifle. Bond could easily have put them on in that time, it's just a bit strange that we don't get a hint of him doing it. And in your article you say they may have added a shot in the car where he removes his gloves, but I don't think they would have needed to do that as we'd not seen the gloves before that.

I guess it's possible the shot in the lobby might have had his hands replaced- you could certainly imagine the stuntman doing the jump onto the lift might have preferred to have been wearing gloves!
    emtiem wrote:
    there's quite a few seconds where Bond is offscreen after he pockets his gun and we're watching Patrice assemble his rifle. Bond could easily have put them on in that time

I own those gloves and I'll have to respectfully disagree on this point :))
    emtiem wrote:
    there's quite a few seconds where Bond is offscreen after he pockets his gun and we're watching Patrice assemble his rifle. Bond could easily have put them on in that time

I own those gloves and I'll have to respectfully disagree on this point :))

Ha! Really, are they silly? Well he is a superspy, maybe coping with bad fashion design is one of his skills :)
    They just take a minute to pull on...
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    :)) :#
  • Red IndianRed Indian BostonPosts: 427MI6 Agent
    Spectre came out in 2015. If the production company had their act together we should have seen NTTD at least by November of 2019. FOUR years after the previous film...
  • NoiNoi Posts: 705MI6 Agent
    One analyst believes the No Time To Die delays could help the box office, saying there may be "a boom in demand for the cinematic experience — particularly for iconic franchises such as James Bond."

https://screenrant.com/no-time-die-movie-delays-box-office-effect/?utm_content=bufferf45c9&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_source=SR-TW&utm_campaign=SR-TW

https://metro.co.uk/2021/02/16/no-time-to-die-delays-could-be-a-good-thing-for-james-bond-14090984/?ito=article.amp.share.top.twitter
    Well, the British PM just said the country can gradually start opening up. The vaccinations are going well in the US too.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Might this just be the usual earlier release in the UK thing?
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,446MI6 Agent
    Meanwhile Cinemagic just permanently closed all of its locations in the rural (US) state where I live. Regal Cinemas is temporary closed. And other chains are also on standby. When the pandemic eases, there might not be a lot of outlets for all these projected blockbusters currently waiting in cans.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,906MI6 Agent
    and Canada's months behind on the whole vaccine rollout thing.
    If it does come out in the UK in September, I'm going to have to quit hanging out round here until one day next year or after when I finally get the chance to see the movie.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Bear in mind that even with widespread vaccine distribution, the U.S. will likely continue to observe mask wearing and social distancing in some form. The vaccine will offer some protection but not for everyone and it is unclear for how long. So even if life returns to some semblance of normal, it won't be like what it was before for a while.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

Looks like it's now officially opening on 30th September here in the uk.

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent

Kong doing big business. I said a few months ago that EON should release NTTD in mid-to-late June.

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent

I do hope No Time To Die opens here in October also. I'm here in California. If everything goes well, we could be fully reopened by June 15th. Lets hope this happens. Then the rest of the United States can follow. I'm so anxious to hopefully get to see this.

Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 244MI6 Agent

Isn't the issue that a third wave is likely coming to the USA and UK? I know Chile have had a successful vaccination campaign but are still seeing a surge, this is likely due to vaccine resistant variants. If the UK reopens from April-June then numbers will spike by August. Then September gets bad and we hit 1000 deaths a day and are forced into another 'circuit break' lockdown.

I think Eon need to move up. They know the film isn't going to be as big a hit as normal. The smart thing may be to set a summer release to get ahead of the third wave. However, we are already in April and NTTD's October date is closer than you think. If I was Eon than striking a deal with a streamer is looking appealing. It doesn't need to go exclusively to the service, but could have a hybrid release.

A good example of this is Top Gun 2. That is scheduled for July 2. It probably won't move as Paramount know it goes to Paramount+ in 45 days. Eon need to get that Apple money asap (at least then the film will be in the green) and have a shorter theatrical window with a summer release.

"If I was Eon than striking a deal with a streamer is looking appealing. It doesn't need to go exclusively to the service, but could have a hybrid release."

We're talking in circles at this point, but why would that appeal to them? They're not out of money, have no shareholders to report to, and have no reason to not sit on this movie until they can wring maximum profits from it. Every single person on this forum could refuse to go see the movie and it wouldn't make a dent in the bottom line.

It's not Eon's money, it comes from MGM and Universal. Even then they took out loans and investment groups were involved. The reason they invested was because in April 2020 they expected a return. That return hasn't been forthcoming and the film is complete. Those individuals who invested or accountable to a board are operating on faith that cinemas will return in some form. But it's purely on faith. Godzilla vs Kong is the only film to reward that faith to date.

If Apple bought the distribution rights from MGM/Universal, it would mean the film would start recouping on the money spent and the money being accrued in interest. It be a small win during this situation. Furthermore, it gives NTTD a streaming home after 30-45 days (which will be the norm).

In any case, Bond 26's distribution will likely go to a company with a streaming portfolio - if MGM doesn't get bought by one beforehand. Probably Apple and Amazon are best places as they have theatrical outfits.

It's Eon's call, full stop. Their distribution partners can't release the film without Eon's agreement. If Eon weren't against it, it would have happened already.

I believe that was one of the reasons why Kevin Ulrich's plan to sell NTTD to Apple/Netflix fell threw. It was a legally problematic, considering Eon's controlling stake.

But if you look at Sony's recent deal with Netflix and the fact MGM have made a deal that after the theatrical window (likely 45 days) and its VOD window (probably another 45 days) then NTTD goes to Paramount+ in the USA. I think Eon should strike a deal with a streamer for international markets. It would be a quick way to monetise the film now. Plus, it doesn't interfere with the theatrical release.

I was of the mindset that waiting was best. But this pandemic is with us for the next few years and its only accelerated the inevitable. A streaming or hybrid release is the future.

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,736MI6 Agent

I agree that NTTD will have a theater exclusive release as planned but the availability of the film on streaming and/or other platforms will come much sooner than what has been done previously. 45 days seems to be the common number in most of these new reported deals, but with Bond and EON, one never knows. Even with a shortened window for theatrical exclusivity, my strong preference (given that things don't regress) would definitely be to see NTTD at my local IMAX at least once and then wait to purchase the 4K UHD Blu Ray upon release. As much as I enjoy streaming, due to bandwidth limitations, even films streaming in 4K HDR at best are about equal to a regular Blu Ray disc even when upscaled on my very good 4K HDR television.

• __M____M__ Posts: 29MI6 Agent

Considering it's probably the last "James Bond" film, along with the pandemic, I can wait.

edited April 2021

I doubt it will be the last one.

I'm sure it's not the last one.

• __M____M__ Posts: 29MI6 Agent

Oh, you'll have some "woke" 007 themed film starring Foxy Cleopatra or someone similar. But James Bond? Unless it is an individual who at least superficially represents the work of Fleming, you have a Ford Grenada. It looks like a Mercedes Benz, but it ain't. I don't think you'll even get a Ford Grenada. Jillian Anderson as James Bond indeed.

Barbra Broccoli has stated in no uncertain terms that James Bond will remain male and British. She added that British can mean a lot these days. This means the next Bond won't be an American or a woman, but the actor may not be white.

Honestly I don't see why some people are so sure the next Bond will be a woman or at least "woke" when no-one linked to the production has said so and most action movies still star white hetrosexual males.

Whatever makes these dinosaurs stop watching is fine w me at this point.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,118MI6 Agent

With news of the South African and India variants confirmed in the UK and the (likely) potential they evade the current vaccines on offer, today is the first day I've thought that we may never see NTTD in cinemas. I don't want to bring anyone down, especially on a Friday, but I have been pretty optimistic recently and thought we would be in a much better position by 30/09/21. Now I'm starting to worry again..😟

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • YouknowthenameYouknowthename Carver Media GroupPosts: 500MI6 Agent

The vaccines used in The Netherlands claim resistance against (now known) mutations. Looking at Israel, the vaccination scheme has really opened up society - despite mutations of the virus popping up there as well.