Story ideas for future Bond films

Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,702MI6 Agent
edited October 2021 in The James Bond Films

Do you have ideas and thoughts about the plots in future James Bond films? It can be anything from the smallest scenes to the main plot. This thread is for talking about them.

Here is one: many of us watched the gigant cargo ship that got stuck in the Panama canal. It stopped much of the traffic between the Atlantic and Pacific and had real impact on the world economy, and that was just one ship in one major trade passageway.

What if someone orcestrated "accidents" in other global bottlenecks? The Panama canal, Gibraltar, the strait outside Singapore, the northwest and north-east Passage in the Arctic? The motivation could be blackmail, favouring other passages or just for the heck of it.

What do you think?

Do you have any ideas?

Comments

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

That sounds good N24. Almost Flemingesque.

Story wise, during the Cold War the producers didn't have too much issue having the West and Bond facing off against Russia. A modern interpretation would be to have him tackle the 21st century version or China. But it all just sounds to close to home now and politically incorrect. The franchise makes far too much money out of China anyway! Nobody dare take a pop at Russia or China these days.

I've said it before I would still like to see Bond doing some rock climbing or playing golf during his down time. Perhaps taking the Stoke Poges Goldfinger scene as inspiration, with the Goldfinger character as a Middle Eastern oil baron Anglophile that owns half of London.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent

That's a good idea, yes. Kind of related to Electra King's plan in a way, but a bit more wide-reaching than her plan.

I don't want to spoil anything but there might be a new film coming out later in the year I think you might enjoy... 😉

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,702MI6 Agent
    edited August 2021

I don't think it's political correctness that stops films from making China the villan, it's economic reasons. If if EON did that the movies and the company would have been closed out of China for many years and their hackers would make lots of problems.

I agree Bond should rock climb and golf. I'd like to ad skiing and scuba diving.

edited April 2021

Also Bond hasn't really ever faced off against another state as the main villain: I think the closest was maybe FYEO, and even there the baddie is only a guy hired by the Russians; and the main plot isn't really a dastardly plan, just a pretty understandable attempt to gain an upper hand (in fact it's almost exactly the same objective Bond has against the Russians in FRWL). I might be wrong but I think it was as late as TSWLM before we first saw Bond fighting with totally legitimate representatives of Russia, in the ski scene (even in Octopussy the Russian soldiers were under Orlov's command so technically rogue).

China has actually been possibly the bigger villain state in the Bond movies as they appear to be behind the schemes of both Goldfinger and Spectre in You Only Live Twice.

Good points. It would never happen today.

When the Nobel Peace Prize was awarded to a Chinese dissident no Norwegian politicians got meeting with top Chinese officials for years and the huge Chinese market was off limit for six years. The concept of the Nobel comitee being independent of the government was impossible in the Chinese communist party mindset. I think the only countries that can associated with the villan are weak, isolated states like North Korea.

A raid involving several 00-agents would be great!

We haven't seen a proper raid in a Bond movie since TLD. I hope we get more, since raids are a Bond tradition. I hope we'll get a SBS raid on a oil platform or a medieval castle.

If I'm honest the big raid scenes were never my favourite. TLD's one is okay, yeah.

The one in YOLT is a classic!

It always left me a bit cold. Lots of stuntmen on trampolines and all that. I dunno, I'm not saying they're bad, they've just never been the bits of Bond films I've particularly enjoyed. I think the FYEO nighttime doc raid is maybe the least interesting of the lot.

The raids need an update, I can agree to that.

edited October 2021

I just listened to the second part of James Bond and friends' SPECTRE watchalong. They talked about a (perhaps) new and different concept for a villan. What if the real villan wasn't the flamboyant man in the Neruh jacket stroking a cat? What if the actual villan is the grey man standing in the room, saying nothing. The water or accountant no-one notice because they are looking at the attention-grabbing typical Bond villan. An interesting idea.

It reminded me of something the most experienced Norwegian correspondent in Russia once said. Once many years ago he interviewed the mayor of St. Petersburg. The guy who came in and served them tea was Vladimir Putin. I'm not saying Putin ruled Russia at the time, but he's the type of grey, calculating type JB & Friends were talking about. I like the idea.

edited August 2021

I just listened to the second part of James Bond and friends' SPECTRE watchalong. They talked about different ways to do things. What if the real villan wasn't the flamboyant cat-stroking guy who loves to tell everyone about his plan. He was just a front. The real villan is the grey man standing in the background saying nothing. The waiter, secretary or driver. The grey man no-one noticed, but hears everything. A cold, calculating mind. An interesting idea.

I was reminded of a story told by a very experienced correspondent who has been working in Russia on and off since the 1980s.

Years ago he interviewed the mayor of St. Petersburg. The quiet man who came in and served tea was Vladimir Putin! I'm not suggesting Putin secretly ran the country at the time, but he was the type I'm thinking of.

I haven't seen the movie since it was new, so I can't say anything other than.... Tia Carrere is super hot! 🤓

It's not really a story idea, but I'd like to see Joanna Lumley and/or Michael Palin as Bond allies. They are both actors and travel journalists, and Lumley was even in OHMSS!

Especially Palin has the warm charm of Kerim Bey or Quarrel. Imagine Joanna Lumley as station chief in India and Michael Palin as station chief in Cairo. I'd love it and and so would they I think.

edited August 2021

I'm listening to the audio book version of Wilbur Smith's "Assegai". So far a lot of the novel is about safaris in Africa. Sub-Saharan Africa has largely been overlooked in the Bond movies and I think safaris is a good way to introdusert the villan. He's on a luxury safari hunting big game illegally after bribing local officials. The safari has big tents, its own cook and several servants. To further prove how evil he/she is, the villan uses a local game tracker as bait. A lion is hiding in the bush and it has to be lured out. Either the villan forces the unarmed tracker to get close to the trees at gunpoint, or the villan secretly remove the rounds from the tracker's rifle. The villan shoots the lion while it attacks and kills the tracker.

edited June 2021

Not a story idea but...

I just watched a short interview with a woman whos last name is L'Estrange. That's a very Bondian name! 😎

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent
    edited June 2021

ooh, @Joshua started a thread about that recently, it wasnt called "potential Bond character names", but thats what it was about.

I know Fleming used to make notes whenever he saw a good name, he said he'd spot them on signs going through small towns and other such random places and remember them for his next book.

I wonder what kind of character would have the name L'Estrange?

EDIT: Joshua's thread: Ian Fleming Would Have Loved......

Once again not really a story idea, but..

If EON wanted to do something unusual with their next villan they should cast Emma Watson!

She has played a villan once, but that movie isn't well known and she is best known for playing nice and often heroic characters. She's intelligent and this comes accross on the screen. She's beautiful, but not in a typical Bond-movie way.

I imagine her character not being promoted as the villan, but have her character be an intelectual or scientist. Do you think it could work?

• JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent

I read this somewhere. Perhaps it will be the plot of the next film?!

I've just watched the new Bond film, after spending 2 weeks in quarantine he couldn't get into the villains HQ because 

he wasn't wearing a mask, instead of using hitmen, guns and lasers the enemy just stopped him by calling him a racist.

• Mr MalloryMr Mallory North by northwestPosts: 632MI6 Agent

LOL 😆

Sadly the term Racist and Nazi have been so thrown about, that they no longer carry any weight.

I did comment on your thread about Bond having a son in Jamaica but it was deleted and your thread pushed back a few pages, so it would disappear ?

By accident I'm sure .

What makes you think this is my first time?
    edited September 2021

🤣🤣🤣 (I'm laughing at Joshua's post)

I did have notifications that two comments were made on that 'son of Bond' thread, but when I clicked they both came up as 'unavailable'?

I do not expect that your comment was in any way abusive, so I can only speculate at the reason it (and the other) was removed?

The thread was intended as nothing more than fun, unless I mistakenly stumbled across a real project to do something similar and copyright came into play!?

I am a fan of the Ian Fleming books and the early films. I would like to hope that the films could return to their formula, with a Bond in the same mould as Connery played the part in Dr No and FRWL.

People will rightly argue that things move on, but in terms of Bond, I think there is an argument that he should return to his roots.

• Mr MalloryMr Mallory North by northwestPosts: 632MI6 Agent
    What makes you think this is my first time?
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff

Your post was removed (along with another) because they were deemed inappropriate because of the language you used and the tone in which they were written. In removing your posts the threads then revert to the date/time of the last post - hence them moving down the forum…neither thread was “pushed back a few pages, so it would disappear ?

YNWA 97

Is this gravity jet suit the Royal Navy is testing the right thing for the modern Bond? What do you think?

Video: Royal Marines test out jet suit over water for Maritime Boarding Operation - Bing video

Demonstration of the jet pack from the aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elisabeth:

Video: Take on Gravity Jet suit demo with HMS Queen Elizabeth - Bing video

I shudder at the thought of the words "racist" and "nazis" not having any weight. I think we'll always need those words. We need them to describe people who admire Hitler and his ideology and others who belive other people are somehow less human than they are. I worry when some use those words without thinking against people who they simply disagree with, because those words are important and carry weight if used correctly.

I question if this thread really belongs in the Bond26 sub-forum. It's about ideas for future Bond movies in general, and there's already a thread here especially about Bond26 ideas.