Imaginary Conversations

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,709MI6 Agent

That's the lyin' mainstream media for you! ๐Ÿ˜

And those books look like true classics, Gymkata. I understand Hardyboy is into litterature and I think he'll agree those novels look even better than his favourites the Hardy Boys.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,060Chief of Staff

PMSL at the Morrissey one. Never could stand The Smiths, but have known many who loved them, and that cover is very realistic!

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,420Chief of Staff

Be interesting to hear your thoughts on NTTD soundtrack with Johnny Marr on it then ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿคฃ

Great book covers, Gymkata ๐Ÿธ

YNWA 97

Marr never bothered me, it was the uninteresting (I'm being polite) voice of Mr Morrissey and his depressing lyrics that caused my lack of interest.

Anyway, thanks for your kind comments above!

We are of one mind, Gymkata, and I think we may have stumbled upon the reason Sir Miles likes the thing known as "Another Way To Die".....

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

but wait...

if Johnny Marr was saddled with the uninteresting voice and depressing lyrics of Morrissey, is the vocalist singing the Bond25 theme song really the ideal creative partner to show him off to his best advantage?

She's got the voice of Streisand and the humour of Lady Gaga compared to Morrissey!

Possibly for the first time, Gymkata hopes Barbel has weak morals ๐Ÿ˜

Perhaps best not, unfortunately, just for consistency. Apologies.

I think, Barbel, you'll find you can be much more flexible without a spine. ๐Ÿ˜

Hmmm, Higgins has been known to suggest the same....

Marr is indeed an excellent guitarist and composer…nice guy too, often seen in Manchester city centre…well, when you are allowed out ๐Ÿคฃ

YNWA 97

Because of its excellent use of guitar ๐ŸŽธ and powerful style, you mean ๐Ÿ˜Ž

YNWA 97

The guitar is one of the least offensive pants, er, parts.

Gymkata, those covers are hilarious!

Classics of (fairly) modern litterature. Clearly snubbed by the Swedes in the Nobel comitee!

Love these book covers ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿคฃ

YNWA 97

Least offensive - you are definitely warming to it, Barbel ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿคฃ

YNWA 97

No problems, Gymkata, it was a pleasant interlude which gave Charmed & Dangerous and I time to come up with another Imaginary Conversation-

2002. Buckingham Palace.

The Queen: Tell me, what is on the agenda for today?

Equerry: A knighting ceremony, Your Majesty.

The Duke: Only one? Well, thank heaven for small mercies!

The Queen: Quiet, Philip. Only one, you say?

Equerry: Yes, Your Majesty, a Mr Gustav Graves.

The Queen: Oh, yes, one has heard of him.

The Duke: Isn’t he building a rocket or something, on the south coast?

The Queen: You’re thinking of that other fellow. The German one. Hugo…

The Duke: Boss?

The Queen: Philip, you don’t have to call me that in public, you know.

Equerry: He should be arriving anytime, ma’am.

The Queen: One gathers he’s just been to Iceland.

The Duke: Ghastly – should’ve gone to Fortnum’s y’know. (He pauses.) Listen… isn’t that “London Calling’”? By those fellers who did… what’s the song…?

Prince Andrew: (Lurking at the back of the room) “Should I stay or should I go?”

The Duke: Think we all know the answer to that, my boy! (He looks out the window.) Hmm. I don’t see any cars.

Equerry: No, sir, look higher.

(They all look up to see a Union Jack parachute descending towards them.)

The Duke: Oh God, that’s pretty tasteless.

Equerry: He wanted to show how proud he was of his adopted country, Your Highness.

The Queen: As long as no-one expects me to be doing the same!

The Duke: Awful!  

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,033MI6 Agent

Great covers, Gymkata, but as a seller of thousands of pulp paperbacks none of these ring a bell in my memory, I have the feeling that most of these are mock-ups but would love to be proven wrong.

Perhaps someone could move these to a new thread championing pulp covers, I would love to add some (genuine) ones but would like the imaginary conversations thread to remain solely for that purpose.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent

Love those book covers!

Please keep them coming - maybe in a seperate thread so that others can find them too instead of searching for them as they are buried into Barbel‘s weird phantasies ๐Ÿค”

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!

Good idea! This thread should be split into the Barbel's Weird Fantasies Thread and Gymkata's Sick Pulp Book Covers Thread. I will of course visit both religiously.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

CoolHandBond said:

Great covers, Gymkata, but as a seller of thousands of pulp paperbacks none of these ring a bell in my memory, I have the feeling that most of these are mock-ups but would love to be proven wrong.

The three Hardy Boys covers are definitely real, I remember them from when I was a wee lad. Different titles though, somebody's photoshopped the text. Looks like The Secret of Wildcat Swamp, The Viking Symbol Mystery, and The Shore Road Mystery. This page has all of them.

As for the 50s style pocketbook covers, maybe there were just so many of them there may be thousands too obscure to be remembered? in bookshops I know that set aside special shelves for such vintage items, there's usually nineteen titles by authors I've never heard of for every Chandler or Hammett. The appeal is the artwork rather than the content. But the basic artwork on Gymkata's covers must come from somewhere, its very of its time.

doing a Google image Search I found the original of Smell My Finger:

Kiss My Fist, by James Hadley Chase, 1952

the others I tried just resulted in yet more "Fake Book Covers"... Gymkata you gotta post I Wrecked Your Toilet!

(and yes separate thread for the fake covers. Barbel's imaginary conversations are all original!)

Yes, I support a separate thread for the pulp covers.

Higgins, you can't talk about my weird fantasies after the one you told me you keep having about you, Timothy Dalton and the milking apparatus.

Timothy Dalton and the milking apparaturs??

Please post! I think I'll enjoy that nearly as much as Higgins will ๐Ÿ˜

My lips are sealed (unlike Higgins' in that fantasy).

1963. Eon HQ, in a temple somewhere in the Brazilian jungle.

Harry: Another cigar, Cubby?

Cubby: Don’t mind if I do.

(Harry hands Cubby a large cigar, then sets a $10 bill alight and uses it to light the cigar.)

Cubby: I wish you wouldn’t do that, Harry.

Harry: We can afford it! Dr No has made us millionaires several times over!

Cubby: Which is no doubt why United Artists are wanting to talk to us this morning.

Harry: Oh, for sure.

(The intercom buzzes.)

Secretary: (On intercom.) A gentleman from United Artists to see you, Mr Broccoli and Mr Saltzman.

Harry: Send him in, send him in.

(The door opens and a well-dressed man enters.)

Cubby: Take a seat, please. You’re from UA, then?

UA Exec: That’s right. We’ve been extremely pleased with the box office returns from our film, Dr No.

Harry: Yes, we thought you would be.

Exec: In fact, we estimate we might end up with a total somewhere between 50 and 60 million dollars.

Cubby: 50 or 60 million, eh?

Exec: Yes, our accountant Herr Grunerschuh seems to think that will be the final total.

Cubby: From a budget of… how much was it again, Harry?

Harry: (Resists putting pinky in mouth.) One million dollars.

Cubby: Yes, that’s right.

Exec: Ah yes, but-

Harry: And we had to do some creative accounting to keep it within that figure.

Exec: You see-

Cubby: Anyway, it’s all worked out okay for all of us.

Exec: And that’s what I would like to talk to you about. We at United Artists would like to discuss the possibility of you making another one.

Harry: (Innocent as a new-born babe.) Another one?

Cubby: (Butter not melting within his oral cavity.) Why, whatever do you mean?

Exec: We’d like you to make a sequel.

Harry: What, a sequel? That’s a good idea- what do you think, Cubby?

Cubby: Well, it never even occurred to us. A sequel! Next thing you know we’ll be doing a series. A long, long series...

Exec: Yes, and we’re prepared to come up with the same budget.

Harry: Oh, I’m not so sure about that.

Cubby: (Shaking head.) Same budget! We struggled to make the last one on that budget. I really don’t think-

Exec: All right, all right. You’ve made your point. We’ll increase the budget by, let’s say, 10%.

Harry: You know, Jacqueline was just saying she fancied a holiday.

Cubby: That’s right, I remember you saying so. And I think Dana would like us to go away for a few weeks, as well.

Exec: We’ll add 25%- not a penny more.

Harry: 25%… You know, it would take a long time to develop a sequel.

Cubby: That’s right, we wouldn’t want to do the same thing all over again.

Harry: And that would cost money. A lot of money.

Exec: (Sighs.) Very well- you can have the same budget plus 50%.

Cubby: We’d have a lot of behind the scenes decision making to do.

Harry: Yeah, like do we want the same crew or a different one? Writing the script is gonna be difficult as well.

Exec: Fine. You can have twice the budget of Dr No for the sequel.

Cubby: It’ll be called From Russia With Love.

Harry: (Taking the Executive’s right arm.) We’re shooting in Istanbul and on the Orient Express.

Cubby: (Taking the Executive’s left arm.) Terence Young will direct again, Sean Connery will be Bond again.

Harry: (Marching to the door.) And we start shooting on Monday.

Cubby: (As the door closes on the Executive.) Goodbye!

What TF?

I have no idea, if that is also part of your imagination or if I really did.

If I did, it certainly was not as „friendly“ as you imply So, if I did, put it out, please!

I'm pulling your leg, Higgins. Obviously!

I‘ll not have so many beers with you when we meet again.

For a second, I wondered, what I may have said ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜