Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,701MI6 Agent

Yes. Soon Biden will promise a million gallon of ketchup in the next hundred days. ๐Ÿ˜

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

Can't they sauce some from elsewhere?

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

This should have been obvious, in heinzsight.

They'll soon be in the red again.

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

They're bound to come through when the chips are down.

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

Today we had the best weather in..... 2021 with sun and nearly blue sky. After dinner I shoveled the snow off half the veranda, brought out a kitchen chair and listened to a podcast while tanning. Wonderful! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

More snow news!

A young man and an even younger woman were driving to a cabin just north of Oslo when the car got stuck in the snow. It turned out they were victims of a gaffe on the GPS map and for the last 10-12 kilometers they were driving on a ski trail! Don't you hate it when that happens? ๐Ÿคฃ

I've just finished listening to the new episode of JBR. They have re-opened after the winter, much like a road through a mountain pass. Listening to Chris and Tom was extremely welcome, less like the opening of a mountain road and more like a heavy drinker happily falling off the wagon. ๐Ÿ“ป

• JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    edited April 2021

I have just logged in and notice I have 71 private messages?!

Some of them (I think) are in a 'group chat' about (again I think) watching a film?)

The new system has left me a bit confused.

Are some these supposed 'new messages' actually old ones which are already in my archive? I think they are but they are still showing up as new messages?

Does private messaging under the new system now mean that others can see your messages?

EDIT: Yes. After looking it seems many of the messages are old ones but they appear as 'new messages'. I can't understand why the 'group chat' thing is happening?

Hi, Joshua ๐Ÿ˜Š

Would you be interested in watching "Where Eagles Dare" with me and a few other members on Sunday? We start the movie at precisely the same time (8 PM GMT) and comment on it on the Where Eagles Dare thread in Off topic. It's all good, friendly fun. A bit like sitting in the same room watching a movie together, only we are in different countries. Care to join us?

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff

After the upgrade to AJB all old PM’s show as being ‘new’…any messages that are in a ‘group chat’ means that anyone in that group chat can see your response...

YNWA 97
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent

I was watching an online auction yesterday as I like to keep tabs on what prices are being realised for items that I have in my collection, not that I have any intention of selling but for interest and insurance purposes.

4 UK Quad posters went for:

FRWL £7000 - YOLT (Volcano version) £900 - OHMSS £1200 - DN/FRWL (Double Bill 1965) £2250

I’ve seen higher prices for YOLT and OHMSS but the other two held their previous prices.

There were quite a few foreign posters with nice artwork, especially from Japan.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Earlier today, the reenactment of the Battle of Mactan took place in Lapu-Lapu. 500 years to the day, Ferdinand Magellan was defeated by the warriors of Lapu-Lapu which held off the eventual conquering Spanish for another 44 years.

It was a great spectacle, as seen by the pictures below:

Wow, that looks fantastic, CHB!

I wish I could see it!

A man in London bought a plastic bag (The type bread is kept in) full of air from the Jostedal glacier in Norway for 200$!

I spent a week on that glacier in the late 80s and the air is indeed clean and fresh, but..........

I mean, if anyone wants to buy some air from me I'm happy to ship you some. ๐Ÿ˜

I know AJB has members with many types of knowledge and skills, so I have a couple of questions:

- What type of weed is this? (opening up for 420 new jokes ๐Ÿ˜€)

- How do I get it off my lawn?

Size comparison with a matchstick box.

I do not know the name, but I have seen something similar in gardens I tend for the elderly people in the community. It seems to spread out underground and across lawns and takes the place of grass.

Today I attended an interview for the position of 'Duty Manager' with the security company I work for. If I am successful it will mean a pay rise and (obviously) more responsibilities. I have covered in this role several times when people have been on leave or sick. I hope my commitment to my employers helps me in my application, I have worked long long hours on duty and undertaken much overtime. If, however, I am unsuccessful and feel I have reached the limit of my advancement (I am currently a supervisor) with them then I will look to new pastures.

I must say that in it's own way my membership of AJB has helped me along my career path. Why? Because it has allowed me to practice my written English. Where at first my comprehension of the written word and my ability to read/write in English was limited, engaging here over time (as well as other things of course) meant I became more proficient.

edited May 2021

I have noticed that Thunderpussy appears to be missing from the forum? Does anyone know what has become of him?

He was always a regular visitor and participated in all the conversations. The last time I remember he was involved (with others!) in the usual stupidity in the politics discussion. I hope he is not a casualty of that.

He's taken his leave of us, Joshua. Along with many others, I hope he will return since he's truly missed.

Good luck with your interview, Joshua, I hope you can post news of your successful promotion on here soon.

TP is taking time out from AJB for an extended period. I echo Barbel, in that we hope he returns soon. Always best to take the view, that in order to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

Thankfully the political thread is now closed, hopefully forever.

Thank you. I think I did well at interview, but there is some competition from people with much more experience in the security industry than me. I will let you know, but I do not expect to get the result until next week.

I am saddened to hear that TP is no longer visiting AJB. I suspected it was because of the political discussion. There should be no venue on this site which gives people the opportunity to insult each other so I too hope that politics is gone forever, killed by those who want a voice but are intolerant of other viewpoints. AJB is a much better place without it.

If TP reads this then the messages from Barbel, you and me that he is sorely missed hopefully may help to quicken his return.

I am on a rare couple of day's leave. I am going to tend to the gardens of a couple of elderly people in the community (this is done for free) if the weather allows but the rest of my time is free so I hope I can visit AJB and catch up on reading before I return to work.

Today I got my first Pfizer vaccine. No problems so far. I only got a friendly text message from Microsoft telling me I was only 873 meters from the nearest shop selling Windows PCs. Since I had a sudden and strong urge to do so, I bought one. Such a nice day ๐Ÿ˜ท

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent

I left a snitty eBay review recently - something I don't normally do - and later found that though my 'Neutral' rating was there, the written words were not - the seller must have got them deleted. Fuming more than actually necessary, but can they just do that?

On a sidenote, my MacBook is whirring a lot, suggesting overhearing - anyone know why? Only in the last 24 hours has it done this, I've had it a good few months now. Is something else going on?

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

Any word on the job Joshua? Was keeping my fingers crossed for you.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff

Unfortunately a seller on eBay can complain about your review/feedback and have it removed. This happened to me a few months back when I ‘won’ an item and the seller refused to send it…I left negative feedback, he complained to eBay, sent me abusive messages and eBay removed my feedback. I did contact eBay for verification and they said my feedback broke their rules ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿป‍โ™‚๏ธ even though they agreed he had broken their rules by not honouring the sale ๐Ÿ™ˆ

YNWA 97
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent

Odd, I've seen lots of neg reviews in my time when looking for Feedback, you just assume if you tell it how it is and don't swear it will be okay. This bloke was a right whiner, I asked for a return because the LP crackled on the first and best opening track. His contacted me to complain I hadn't contacted him first about this rather than putting in a return, carped was it was graded visually not aurally so the risk was all on my side, wanted me to pay return postage. A pain in the backside.

Still, I'm just putting all this on to you now. Odd thing is, generally eBay works better than State Complaints procedures because it's not blatantly rigged. Unlke, say care homes, you can actually see what you're dealing with (care home reviews are rigged, the regulator the CQC is corrupt and so on).

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited May 2021

As the COVID thread (unfortunately) has been closed, I thought that I'd post the following bit of Covid info here.

As the vaccination programmes are slowly progressing in the rich countries - it's time to think about vaccination acceptance and - not.

I've found an interesting comment from one of Germany's top advisors re herd immunity, "natural immunisation (ergo infection by Covid and being temporarily immune)"

"Whoever decides against the vaccination will become infected"

If we manage to get 70-80% of the population vaccinated, we still have a large number that are not. Reasons may vary.

The problem is, that this virus (and probably many more aggressive mutations that are to come) will live in our throats for the next years.

If you are vaccinated, you still get infected but won't have sympthoms. But you can still transfer the virus to those that are not vaccinated.

So those who by their own choice decide not getting the shots, will inevitably get infected by Covid - sooner than late as the protective measures will be more and more reduced.

Here is the article translated into english:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&u=https://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/medizin/christian-drosten-ueber-corona-wer-sich-gegen-impfen-entscheidet-wird-sich-infieren-a-aae1cfc2-4ab9-49b3-b848-23dfbfac66b1

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!