Tributes Thread

Comments

• PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,227MI6 Agent

@chrisno1 : On the Ultimate Edition DVD/ Blu Ray release of Licence To Kill, there is a great deleted scene of Bond and Sharkey together while they are investigating the Wavekrest. Director John Glen says during his introduction for it, he would have liked to keep it in the movie if not for the fact it slowed the pace of the movie overall. Having watched the scene in question myself, I can understand why felt bad about having to delete it.

Until recently, I had no idea just how many movies Mcrae had been in besides the examples I mentioned. Defiantly would like to see more of them soon.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,704MI6 Agent

(Rises glass)

To Sharkey!

It's the anniversary of VE-day today. I want to honour the heroes who fought tyrany and the victims of fascism. We must never forget.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

I'll drink to that N24. We must NEVER forget.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent

Yes, let us never forget their bravery and sacrifices so we could live in a Europe at peace and free from tyranny.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    edited May 2021

Norman Lloyd, the character actor (and producer) who famously fell from the Statue of Liberty in Hitchock's SABOTEUR, has died at the great age of 106. We should all live so long!

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/entertainment/norman-lloyd-dr-auschlander-st-214329405.html

Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent
    edited May 2021

Sad to hear of the death of Neil Connery, so soon after the death of his more famous brother Sir Sean too. 

Also sad to hear of the death of Norman Lloyd aged 106. What a long life well lived! He directed the classic Season 1 episode of Columbo called Lady in Waiting (1971) starring Susan Clark as the killer.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent

Ah I missed these announcements, thanks for posting them Silhouette Man - yes, Operation Kid Brother himself and as for Norman Lloyd, I thought he would just keep on going! RIP to both.

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,294MI6 Agent
    edited May 2021

RIP Neil C , Sharkey , Andre M

Philip Latham , Draculas butler , died last summer , Shelley passed half a yr later (both starred Dracula PoD)

Sverre Kokkin, resistance fighter and saboteur, died on the national day aged 95. I believe he was the last of the very active communist Pelle-group to pass away.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

RIP Charles Grodin, at 86. Starred in many films Inc "Midnight Run", "Beethoven", and "King Kong (76)".

The magnificent Charles Grodin, RIP, as Barbel has mentioned some great comedic performances but will always be remembered by me as Dr Hill in Rosemary’s Baby.

edited June 2021

Libuse Safrankova (spelling?) who starred as Cinderella in the Hungarian/DDR 1973 movie "Three wishes for Cinderella" has passed away. The movie is show on Norwegian TV every Christmas and it's an important tradition for many. (In fact a Norwegian re-make starring the popstar Astrid Smedplass who is known as Astrid S is being made this year.)

Rest in peace 🤗

Saddened to hear of the death of Ned Beatty at 83, RIP.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

Nicely put, Gymkata. RIP Mr Beatty.

Just heard the sad news that the American actor Stuart Damon died on 29 June aged 84. I loved him as Craig Stirling in The Champions when I was a kid after seeing the show repeated on BBC 2 in the mid-1990s. I used to be obsessed with that show along with James Bond and Columbo. I pretty much still am to be honest. I bought the show on DVD some years ago.

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    edited July 2021

That's sad news about Stuart Damon- RIP.

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

Saddened to hear of the death of Richard Donner aged 91. Directed some superb movies, The Omen and Superman amongst them, RIP.

edited July 2021

Very sad. RIP Richard Donner. A great collection of work. Thank you for Superman alone!

RIP to Richard Donner, and thank you for giving us Superman, The Goonies , Lethal Weapon 1-4 and many others. Not only was he a talented director, i heard he was a really class act off camera too.

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent

Donner got far, far less for Superman: The Movie than Brando, who was on a percentage and not in it that long of course.

Then got done over by the producers so even though he did a lot for Superman II he wasn't credited. Still not sure how that came about, I wonder if there's a book about it? Weren't the two meant to be filmed back to back? There was a significant time difference between the two if so, I mean the first was 78, when was the second? Reeve looked older as he had longer hair as Kent, a lot of the second one felt a bit off for me.

Glad Donner really made his mark with the Lethal Weapon smash movies, great stuff. Connery wanted him for NSNA it's said but Donner turned it down. A shame, but a smart move on his part as the thing got rewritten on the fly.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Actually, after the producers of Superman II fired Donner and brought on Richard Lester, they offered him a co-directing credit. He looked at the film and said "No thanks." He talks about this in the special features of the SUPERMAN II: THE RICHARD DONNER CUT DVD.

Vox clamantis in deserto

Is there a Richard Donner cut of Superman II Hardyboy? If so, what are the main differences.

Yes indeed. There are a lot of differences--no Niagara Falls scenes, less comedy, etc. The film is put together with some unused material Donner shot, even a few test scenes, and a few of the scenes that were filmed by Richard Lester. It's widely available in the U.S.--maybe even more so than the theatrical cut--but I don't know how it stands in the UK.

Vox clamantis in deserto
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,033MI6 Agent

Really sad news. William Smith was great in a whole host of movies and TV programmes, my favourite being the streetfighter Jack Wilson, in Any Which Way You Can, which must be the most underrated movie of all time, it’s simply brilliant!

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

@Napoleon Plural: Yes, Superman and Superman II were being filmed back to back, midway through filming it was decided to concentrate on the first movie and then after it came out work on finishing the second one. It is pretty well known that problems occurred behind the scenes between Richard Donner and the producers which lead to him leaving and Richard Lester getting hired to finish the movie.

I will always remember William Smith for playing Conan's father in the opening scenes of Conan The Barbarian and as Colonel Strelnikov the antagonist in Red Dawn (1984). May he RIP.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

while paying respects to Richard Donner, we should mention he directed several first season episodes of The Man from UNCLE, and had a cameo in s1e07 The Giuoco Piano Affair. We see him in the party scene, alongside the shows producers. imdb says he is "the drunk man who keeps asking for the milk bottle with the gin in it"

Very sad to hear of the passing of Dieter Brummer. Used to watch him every day in Home and Away. A cool guy and I was always in awe of his physique.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,418Chief of Staff
    YNWA 97