What song are you listening to?

Comments

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,172MI6 Agent

Relistened to U2 while writing.

THE JOSHUA TREE, ACHTUNG BABY< ZOOROPA, POP - a splendid series of albums. Not sure why I'm missing Rattle and Hum and The Unforgettable Fire.

I saw the POPMART tour and I remember being blown away by it. I didn't 'get' the album at all until I heard it live, the thunderous, angry drive of the narratives. I think they played every song bar If God Will Send HIs Angels. Brilliant memories and POP is still one of my fav albums of the 1990s (although there are a great many of them.)

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,414Chief of Staff
    YNWA 97
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,052Chief of Staff

Paul McCartney and Wings "Silly Love Songs"

Tbh, I'm listening to the "Wingspan" album (a Greatest Hits). The man is just so talented even outside the obvious Beatles albums and hits.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,118MI6 Agent

Couldn't agree more. And those bass lines..👌

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Madonna, GHV2, probably one of the best compilation albums I own. And I'm not even a fan anymore.

Madonna - Drowned World / Substitute For Love [Official Music Video] - Bing video

A new track from Public Service Broadcasting recorded at the legendary Hansa Studios 🍸

YNWA 97

A box set of Dire Straits albums. Why do they all sound the same? This is Private Investigations. Rather good dance interpretation.

• DickWoodgateDickWoodgate Posts: 5MI6 Agent

Right now, I cannot get Carley Simon's 'Nobody does it Better' out of my head. Is there a better Bond song than this? Dick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaV-6qerkqI

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,906MI6 Agent

an hour of Roxy Music on their 1979 Manifesto tour

Their new material is more disco-y and shallow compared to the first five albums, but at 22:20 begins an epic version of In Every DreamHome a HeartAche ("I bought you mail order, my brown wrapper baby..." etc). I wonder what their new yuppy audience thought of that one?

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

Depeche Mode - 'John The Revelator'

For Against - 'Amen Yves'

Clan of Xymox - 'This World'

Danielle Dax - 'Big Hollow Man'

Altered States - 'Low Life'

Diary Of Dreams - 'Butterfly: Dance!' (Ooea Version)

Rosetta Stone - 'If Only And Sometimes'

Diva Destruction - 'The Broken Ones'

Skeletal Family - 'Promised Land'

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=41AqlPjc-Wc

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
    edited October 2021

Robbie Williams' 2009 opus Reality Killed the Video Star - probably his most underrated effort, full of lyrics about the effects of stardom on the psyche - oh, the sheer weight of expectations - and pumping great tunes. A very pop-orientated album, and no hidden tracks so it's nice and short. I love Robbie Williams. A true musical superstar whose transcended the boyband and fully embraced being a showman, entertainer and social commentator. How Babs and MGW passed him over for the theme tune for The World is Not Enough or Die Another Day, when he was in his pomp. I guess you can't turn down Madonna, but Garbage, for all their good stuff have never done anything as instant and brilliant as Difficult for Weirdos, Bodies or Super Blind or, back in 1998 the album I've Been Expecting You which was a virtually a rehearsal for the Bond gig which never came.

Another fantastic slice of pop from Wet Leg with the song Wet Dream 🍸

YNWA 97
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent

Brown Sugar by The Rolling Stones.

As it’s now been cancelled by the woke idiots, I thought I must revisit this Stones favourite and it’s still as brilliant as it’s always been. I saw the Stones live only once, around 1978 I think, and Brown Sugar was rapturously received. I’m just surprised they have taken any notice of the snowflake brigade, they certainly wouldn’t have done so in the 60’s!

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    edited October 2021

@CoolHandBond I was surprised too. I know there's a lot of stuff about slavery in the first verse, but to be honest, I don't think Jagger's making any particular point there. The second verse is about the house boy in a bordello getting his rocks off with the whores after hours and the third is about a schoolboy losing it with a stripper at a county show. He's basically pedalling contrived and fantasised images of the deep south. Lyrically, it doesn't make any sense. A lot of Stones lyrics are nonsense. It's one of the greatest rock n roll songs ever written and deserves to be listened to full stop IMO.

• TheHighPriestessTheHighPriestess Posts: 6MI6 Agent

Possibly my favourite Temptations song...

The Temptations - I Can't Get Next To You

Yard Act and The Overload 🍸

YNWA 97

Tony Bennett's All Time Greatest Hits - from 1972, but a class collection of standards, some of which show Tony at his very very best.

Rags to Riches, For Once in My Life, Just in Time, Maybe This Time, Something, I Wanna Be Around, San Francisco, Who Can I Turn To, Stranger in Paradise, The Shadow of Your Smile....

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,906MI6 Agent

My mom and my uncle are both going to get Bennett's new album for Christmas (shh, don't tell them). Has a 95 year old man with alzheimers ever had a bestselling album before? Does say something about the demographics of who still buys physical media.

I saw him in concert 3 times over 10 years and while I admire his pluck - 95 years - cripes - his voice was suffering the last time and he wasn't even 80. I had no idea he had yet another release. That must be about 95 albums, I'll have to count 'em. Sinatra said Tony Bennett was the best in the business and I think he's probably right, after Frank himself, of course. Bennett's phrasing is remarkable sometimes, other times he seems to wing it [swing it?] Either way, great stuff. They've almost all gone now these Lord's of the Lounge, I think only Jack Jones is left.

Love for Sale, another collaboration with Lady Gaga, just came out. Getting lots of airplay on my local Jazz station.

the delux edition comes with a bonus live album recorded by the two a couple years ago

thats excellent you saw him in concert!

Gram Parsons, Brass Buttons, from Grievous Angel

Life and the brilliant Friends Without Names 🙌🏻🍸

YNWA 97
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent

My musical knowledge is woeful, so I usually listen to most of the recommendations on here, which points me to stuff that I’ve never heard of. I don’t like all of it but have found quite a lot that I do like.

Blue Valentine by Tom Waits. I love this album, with his heartbreaking rendition of Somewhere, it’s one of my favourites.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

@CoolHandBond if your a Tom Waits fan then your knowledge of music is very fine indeed. One of my greatest musical regrets is not seeing Tom in concert when I had the chance.

i personally prefer his early jazzy Asylum albums, but his later "banging pots and pans" albums are great too, theyre all great

here he is hamming it up in a performance of The Piano Has Been Drinking on the parody talk show Fernwood 2Night, with hosts Martin Mull and Fred Willard

theres a couple full length concerts that might be up on youtube as well, all very theatrical

not so silly as the above performance, here is an hour long concert broadcast of Tom Waits on the TV programme Austin City Limits, from 1978. Same year as the album Blue Valentine, featuring several songs from that album including Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis

Bat Out Of Hell by Meat Loaf

https://youtu.be/k5hWWe-ts2s

in another thread I was asking what is the instrument Brian Jones played on Lady Jane?

it was the dulcimer

here he is playing it live on the Ed Sullivan Show. September 11, 1966. apologies for the screaming girls in the audience who don't know how to behave during the subtle songs.

Conventional wisdom seems to be they were at their best during the Mick Taylor years, but i love the run of mid60s records where Jones was primarily working as instrumental colourist. and note Mick is still able to stand still and enunciate properly at this stage in his career!

Khruangbin & Leon Bridges with B-Side 🍸

YNWA 97
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent

Billie Eilish has said she listened to the song "Runaway" by Aurora when she was 11-12, and this made Billie Eilish decide she wanted to be an artist. I don't remember if I've posted it before, but here it is: AURORA - Runaway - YouTube

Aurora (like Eilish) isn't the jeans and T-shirt type ....

Great track from a new band called Car Sick - It Is What It Is 🍸

YNWA 97