Last film seen...

Comments

• JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent

Yes Golrush, The Gunfighter is a splendid film.

I am looking forward to watching the war films I mentioned.

I wonder if you all would like to hear about some of the other films I have got. I usually pay £1 each but can get them sometimes for as little as 50p. As I mentioned in another post, I will keep them if I really like the film but usually give them back to the charity shop. The western films I have mentioned I will be keeping.

These are a few more films which I have collected but not yet seen. They are all first time viewing:

Harry Brown (I bought this because I have become a Michael Caine fan)

The Untouchables (I bought this because Sean Connery is in it)

Defiance (I bought this because Daniel Craig is in it)

Not a film but a DVD set 'Band of Brothers'. I am not sure how many DVD's are in it but there are quite a few. I paid £10 for this.

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff

For the first time in over a year, I was in a genuine, actual, 100% real movie theater. And I even had popcorn. Not many other people were there, but it felt just so darn normal that I loved it. Oh--the movie? CRUELLA, Disney's latest attempt to explain and redeem one of its classic female villains. It's actually pretty enjoyable, with two Emmas--Stone and Thompson--warring over who will become Swinging London's hottest fashion designer. Some good laughs and an absolutely superb soundtrack of great 1960s/'70s rock classics.

Vox clamantis in deserto
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,172MI6 Agent

FIVE GOLDEN DRAGONS (1967)

A quicker than quick-off-the-press movie from writer / producer Harry Alan Towers. This one comes via the Shaw Brothers Studios in Hong Kong and takes place entirely on the island. The chief attraction of it now is the scenery, the gorgeous villainess played by Margaret Lee and the three sultry songs squeezed into the middle of the movie during an extended nightclub scene.

The half decent plot is spoilt by the lame humour. The film doesn’t know whether to take itself seriously or not, so it fails as both a thriller and a comedy. The lead is Bob Cummings. I have no idea who he is, so I looked him up. Still no idea. He is terrible. I mean really, really poor. It’s one of the worst performances I think I’ve ever seen in this kind of hokum. He’s bad when delivering humorous asides, even worse when it comes to the action. He doesn’t convince as a hero in any shape or form. For some peculiar reason he’s allowed to chew gum through most of the film.

A whole slew of guest stars feature. Klaus Kinski is the best of them as a scary hitman, but he’s hardly given much to do. For the record the Golden Dragons of the title are a cabal of international gold smugglers played by Christopher Lee, Brian Donlevy, Dan Duryea, George Raft and Sieghardt Rupp.

This sort of thriller used to be churned out by Warner Bros week after week in the forties. You can feel the noir elements creeping into it before director Jeremy Summers buries them under mirth and sunlight. It’s too long and simply not good enough. 

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,906MI6 Agent

The Russians Are Coming, the Russians Are Coming

directed by Norman Jewison, 1966

starring Alan Arkin, Carl Reiner, Eva Marie Saint and Jonathon Winters

Spielberg borrowed a lot of this for 1941, didnt he? but he left out all the 60s optimism that is the point of the film, instead expanding on all the potential for visual chaos inherent in a panicking mob. (I think audiences may have been too cynical by the Reagan era, yet within a few years we would all be partying on the rubble of the Berlin Wall.) A dose of Dr Strangelove, without the artistic ambitions and the bummer ending, and two doses of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (which also featured both Reiner and Winters) except with more of a plot and a point to all the madness.

Alan Arkin in his first big screen role steals scenes from experienced veteran Reiner. Supposedly the accent he is doing is the way his own Russian Jew grandparents spoke, is why he does it so convincingly. Was his apparent gift at accents here the reason he was chosen to replace Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau? if so, the logic was off, as his grandparents did not speak Silly Imitation French.

Andrea Dromm plays the cute babysitter who falls in love with a Russian sailor while the rest of the townsfolk are getting into fights over which is the correct way to panic. She went on to star in her own long-forgotten spymania product Come Spy with Me, which I have added to my queue.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,052Chief of Staff

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE on the big screen!

James Bond Screenings at the Waterfront Cinema (Greenock, UK) — ajb007

There are those who will tell you that the most exciting sound in a cinema is the first chord of John William's "Star Wars" theme, accompanied by the title card.

And there are those who will say that while that's not bad at all, the most exciting sound in a cinema is the opening of the "James Bond Theme" accompanied by the gunbarrel.

Make a wild guess which category I'm in- as long as it's done properly, of course.

I'm not long home from watching YOLT, in the way it is best seen. The most obvious example is the reveal of the interior of the volcano which is spectacular in the truest sense of the word, and so much better than it appears at home. If anyone has a chance to see this film on the big screen, take it!

Tickets for next week (DAF) already bought.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent

(Ignore the quote above, please)

I'm envious, Barbel. 😱

A knight's tale (2001)

Why are there so few jousting movies? The sport is so cinematic and dramatic there should be more of them. The movie has Heath Ledger as the commoner who dreams of becoming a knight, a performance that promised a great career that ended far too early. Paul Bettany's ass shortly followed by the rest of him is introduced to the Hollywood, a funny role. Costumes and particularely the music isn't historical ly correct, but this is very much on purpose. The music is used the way Tarantino does it, conveying mood instead of time and place. It also contributing to making the movie feel young and fresh. I enjoyed A "knight's tale" very much.

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent

I do enjoy these film reviews. Parts of Spectre reminded me of The Passenger, that wandering around In the desert thing. I realise that comment doesn't do justice to ChrisNo1's excellent review.

The Jungle Book

Umpteemth viewing of this Disney classic with never a dull scene. As a kid it didn't strike me that the Vultures were a pastiche of The Beatles. Only today did I realise that the excellent George Saunders as Sheer Khan the tiger is scripted very similarly to the Captain Von Trapp in The Sound of Music just a few years earlier, that same sardonic appraisal. As with that film, most of the authority figures are English, while the more fun, morally adventurous types are American, and all the kids American - the cast has a caste system.

Movies with two villains - Kaa the Snake AND Sheer Khan - not bad, are they? Often in movies you have a mock villain to hold fort until the main one turns up - the Mayor of Amity in Jaws for instance, disappears quickly once the threat is real and recognised, to be replaced by Shaw's shark hunter I guess. But these aren't true villains, more irritants. Can anyone think of a movie like The Jungle Book where there are two villains - I mean, come to think of it, I found the snake and its prospective killing to be more horrible than the tiger, despite his man-hating backstory. It's a plot hole now I think of it - I mean, the arrival of the tiger is the reason for Mowgli to leave the jungle but it's not like Kaa the Sanke made it a happy hangout really now, was it? Did he never appear before or was it just in that part of the jungle they were passing through? And is it possible I am overthinking things?

Sheer Khan's final flight reminiscent of that of Captain Hook across the sea, exit pursued by crocodile, in Peter Pan.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Spoilt today with two Elvis movies available to view.

CLAMBAKE (1967)

Clambake is probably the nadir of Elvis Presley’s acting career and quite possibly his singing career as well. This fluff comes from director Arthur H. Nadel and writer Arthur Browne Jr, two men both so obscure they don’t even have a Wikipedia entry.

This time out, Elvis is Scott Hayward, an oil millionaire’s son, who decides to trade places with a water ski instructor to see if people will accept him for his personality, not his dollars. He meets girls, sings songs and builds a race winning powerboat using his own experimental waterproof reinforcement called ‘gloop.’ Yes, gloop.

Will Hutchins, a serviceable T.V. actor, is the skiing guy and his performance is so forced and over eager it’s as if someone held a gun to his head. Shelly Fabares is undeniably pretty, but vacant. She looks desperate to escape. Shelly’s worked with Elvis twice before and ought to know what that entails. Bill Bixby is bland beyond belief and doesn’t convince as a rival millionaire speedster. The only decent performers are Gary Merrill and James Gregory as Elvis’ mentor and father respectively. Their greater experience shows. They know the product is terrible, but they do their best to bring touches of humour and humanity while everyone else simply acts foolish.

The less said about the songs the better. The title number is a frantic dirge sung during another beach party full of bikini clad go-go girls. There was a lot of this kind of scene in Elvis’ latter career, but never so bad as this. It isn’t the worst though: I actually had to leave the room through sheer embarrassment when the King started singing Confidence to a playground full of kids.

Curiously, Elvis appears to be enjoying himself. You do wish film producers had taken his abilities more seriously as his personal charisma remains undimmed despite the poor quality of what surrounds it. I rather fancy Elvis identified with his character and would have given anything to swap places with a ski instructor, dance with babes on the beach and not have to sell a million records a year.

FLAMING STAR (1960)

Intended as a vehicle for Marlon Brando, this Don Seigel western features Elvis Presley as a half-breed son of a Texas rancher whose family is caught in a war between the homesteaders and the Kiawah Indians.

Flaming Star was the last attempt Elvis had during his heyday to prove he could be taken seriously as an actor. After this, and following his previous success with the family friendly G.I. Blues, his manager Tom Parker insisted all scripts were musical comedies. There’s one scene in the first five minutes were Elvis sings a hoedown tune which fits in just about okay with the story and isn’t obviously an excuse to demonstrate he can rock n roll. Instead we get a demonstration that he can act. Playing the brooding Kiawah Pacer Burton seems to suit the King, who triumphs mainly because his character is pretty much monosyllabic. There’s a couple of scenes where he shines: a discussion with the Indian chief about brotherhood and honesty, and another where, grieving for his mother, his pent up anger spills out and he lets loose a series of home truths about the treatment he and his Kiawah blood-kin experience.

The movie is well filmed by Charles Clarke, much of it shot in half-light which increases an already tense atmosphere. The landscapes look gorgeous in Cinemascope. If the movie occasionally dips into melodrama and cliché, that’s rather to be expected. A lot of the racial issues had already been touched on during the previous decade, although this movie is much clearer on the native Americans’ grievances. The Kiawah specifically claim the land has been theirs since the dawn of the world and the white man has stolen it. It’s a credit to writer Nunnally Johnson that despite this, he makes Sam Burton [John McIntire, playing Elvis’ father] sympathetic. Sam’s love for his wife [the excellent Dolores del Rio] conflicts with his need to toil land, which he’s done freely for twenty years, with the blessing of the old Chief. It is the influx of new, brash, intolerant settlers and new brash intolerant Indians which sparks the Kiawah uprising and forces his sons to choose sides.

A very good movie which isn’t quite a great one. The end feels a little half-baked – it isn’t clear what Pacer is hoping to achieve by returning to fight the Kiawah – but it is great to see Elvis not have to sing for his supper.

FRIENDS (1971)

Two stroppy adolescents flee Paris for an idyllic life in the Camargue. He gets a job at a vineyard; she has a baby. A very odd, soft focus romance from Lewis Gilbert. It’s expecting a lot from the two teenage leads to carry almost the whole film, but they do an admiral job under the circumstances, which includes risible dialogue and fairy tale story.

I wasn’t sure what to make of this. The age of the central characters as well as the age of the actors is somewhat unsettling given the story content, although it may not have been quite so in 1971. Discreet nudity doesn’t help and gives one the feeling of being a voyeur.

Andreas Winding’s photography is excellent. Several scenes are shot to resemble French impressionist paintings, which provides interesting visual references to the scenario. Elton John provides a series of low-key songs for accompaniment and was subsequently nominated for a Grammy. The sudden ending, despite the ridiculously saccharine story, is both heart-warming and prescient of a darker tale which never comes. A curio, if nothing else.     

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent

THE GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN (1942)

Along with Bond, Hammer and the Carry On, a particular favourite of mine is the Universal Monsters series. This is the fourth of 8 movies in the series and the first one to have a reduced budget.

Carrying on from the previous entry, Ygor frees the monster from a sulphur pit and brings him to the second son of Frankenstein, Ludwig, to restore the Monster with Ygor’s brain so he can take revenge against his enemies.

Even with the reduced budget this is an extremely well made movie with a top notch cast. There are a number of continuity errors from the previous film in the series (Ygor was shot dead in the previous movie), but it is very atmospheric. Bela Lugosi is excellent as Ygor and Lon Chaney Jr. is also good, replacing Boris Karloff as The Monster.

Although this is certainly the weakest entry up to this point I enjoyed it very much and recommend the Universal Monsters series to anyone who has not seen them.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

We share similar tastes, CHB. The Universal series is about third on my list (if I made lists) of cinematic things I love (No 2 is the Hammer films, and I think we all know what No 1 is) and is the source for how my lady wife is known in these parts, ie Bride Of Barbel. My son is obviously Son Of Barbel, and I live in the House Of Barbel.... 😁

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent

I thought you were going to say you refer to her as 'the Monster'!

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Ha! She's been "The Bride" here for years, NP.

THE GUNMAN (2015)

I read Jean-Patrick Manchette’s thriller The Prone Gunman a couple of years ago, vaguely aware Sean Penn had starred in this movie adaptation. I didn’t enjoy the book. It started brilliantly with a well described ‘hit’ but descended into a short, brutal and unsympathetic little tome. Martin Terrier, the lead character, is a phenomenal assassin, but a hopeless incurable romantic. The two facets did not gel well together on the page.

Sean Penn’s Jim Terrier – I don’t know why they changed the character’s name from Martin, to Jim – has some of the idealistic principles of Manchette’s anti-hero. He’s surrounded by a familiar cast of miscreants played by familiar faces, none of whom seem to want to be there. Ray Winstone and Javier Barden in particular are hopeless. Here, Terrier is supposed to be English but Penn doesn’t bother to hide his stateside accent. I think in the original novel, everyone was French. The film introduces a big business backstory about the exploitation of African mineral wealth which was completely absent from the novel. The screenwriters must have spent time watching The Constant Gardner before putting pen to paper as there are obvious similarities. There is too much violence and it’s way too improbable. Given how the film ends, you wonder why Penn didn’t take Winstone’s advice and go straight to Interpol.

Despite Pierre Morel being the director of Taken, The Gunman is poorly constructed and, like in the book, the brutal action drags. It deservedly failed to make money.   

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff

THE GIRL WITH ALL THE GIFTS. Going into this, I didn't know this would be a zombie apocalypse movie, but it is--and it's a damned good one. The focus is on the girl of the title, apparently part of a new generation of "Hungries" who are born with a sense of self--and also an insatiable desire to eat living things. Well done and thoughtful, with a fine cast including Glenn Close, Paddy Considine, and our own Gemma Arterton.

Vox clamantis in deserto

Yes, that's a good movie.

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

Please ignore the above.

Coincidentally I also watched Ghost of Frankenstein a couple of weeks ago, for the first time in years. While Lon Chaney Jr doesn't have quite the pathos or menace of Karloff, he plays it well enough, and it's great to see Evelyn Ankers who was also in the Wolf Man.

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

THE PASSAGE (1979)

Sub-Alistair MacLean war picture starring Anthony Quinn as a Basque shepherd leading a fugitive German scientist to freedom over the Pyrenees.

It’s not very distinguished despite an experienced cast. James Mason is too old for this sort of fare. Malcolm McDowell is intentionally hilarious as a deluded S.S. officer with unique methods of torture. Christopher Lee, dreadful. It’s based a novel by Bruce Nicolaysen and as he also wrote the screenplay we can apportion most of the blame his direction. British director J. Lee Thompson has an impressive body of work from the fifties and early sixties, but he was slumming it by 1978, making endless Charles Bronson movies. In fact, this type of high budget / low return epic was exactly Bronson’s forte at the time so I’m surprised he wasn’t cast in the lead. The trick ending is good, but doesn’t redeem the awfulness of what came in the preceding ninety minutes.

A few interesting James Bond associations: title designer Maurice Binder was co-producer, future M Robert Brown pops up as a German Colonel, Moonraker’s Michael Lonsdale is watchable as a resistance fighter and cinematographer Michael Reed, who made the Alps look beautiful in On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, makes the Pyrenees forbidding here. Sadly, nobody earns any stripes for this one.

I liked The Passage. Haven’t seen it for decades but that sort of comic book actioner has always appealed to me.

It’s the rainy season here, and with some lovely thunderstorms for real life effect, I’m going through some a lot of Hammer and Universal Monster movies 😃

Dracula Has Risen From The Grave (1968)

This has some very good opening scenes in a church but then falls away a bit after that. Rupert Davies is good as a priest who is determined to get rid of Dracula, as Christopher Lee tries to get revenge by turning the priests niece (Veronica Carlson) into a vampire. Nicely directed by Freddie Francis but somewhat let down by a less than charismatic turn by leading man Barry Andrews.

———————

Taste The Blood Of Dracula (1970)

Dracula is revived by three outwardly respectable Victorian gentlemen (including Geoffrey Keen) and satanist Ralph Bates after meeting in a bordello. The three become targets of Dracula after they beat Bates to death. Another solid entry in the series, nicely directed by Peter Sasdy.

———————

Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)

This is a terrific entry in the Frankenstein series, Peter Cushing puts in a magnificent and cold-blooded performance as he experiments with brain transplants with the help of Simon Ward and Veronica Carlson (again) who he has blackmailed. Freddie Jones is excellent as this movies Monster. Terence Fisher directs this one and he really knows how to make scenes suspenseful.

"DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER" on the big screen.

Many rate this low against the other Bonds. I have a soft spot for it- back in 1971, after George Lazenby in OHMSS, there was something special about Sean Connery's first appearance here saying "My name is Bond, James Bond". Audiences cheered or clapped, and I was one of them.

Not this time, of course, but the memories linger. It brings a different perspective from those who've only seen it on TV, out of context. A pleasure to see it on the big screen one more time.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,906MI6 Agent

I have seen it argued the reveal of the volcano headquarters in You Only Live Twice is a moment that can only be properly appreciated on the big screen.

Were there any such moments in Diamonds are Forever that worked differently given the scale of the screen?

last night I watched....

Queen of Outer Space, 1958

starring  Zsa Zsa Gabor, based on an idea by Ben Hecht (who in a fairer parallel universe would have been one of ours)

Exciting plot: a rocket ship carrying four earthmen is knocked offcourse and crashlands on Venus, where they are taken prisoner by the planet's inhabitants.

gosh, how are they going to get out of this?

Turns out the planet has no men, and is ruled over by a despotic queen who blames men for war and destruction, and plans to destroy the earth. ZsaZsa actually plays the rebel leader, who helps our earth-friends escape and overthrows the evil queen just as she is firing up some sort of space laser. Communications are restored to earth but the earthlings are told they better stay on Venus for the next year, just to be safe.

If you can see the image I have attached you are probably already studying the clothing worn by the Venusians. Note that not only the length of the skirts but the primary colour scheme foreshadows Star Fleet regulation uniforms: obviously Rodenberry was drawing inspiration from only the finest of science fiction sources

SCTV borrowed the plot for their scifi epic 2009, Jupiter and Beyond

edited June 2021

Wishing not to steal Barbel's thunder, I saw DAF at the BFI back in 2002. The best scene was Bond's elevator ride up the Whyte House and his mountaineering above the Las Vegas skyline followed by the confrontation with two Blofeld's in Ken Adam's brilliant penthouse suite set. Both myself and my mate, who is not an out & out Bond fan, found this sequence stunning. All Bond films look better on the big screen.

I'm at the head of the queue making that argument!

Yes, I agree with Chris that the mountaineering outside the Whyte House looks terrific on the big screen and suffers on a small one. I also agree that in general the Bonds look better in the cinema.

Next week- "Live And Let Die".

edited June 2021

And Gymkata- a few years ago I caught "Night At The Opera" and "Day At The Races" at a cinema. They work so much better with an audience, since the jokes were timed live on stage to allow for laughter and weed out weaker material before the filming.

Ripley's Game (2004)

This is sort of a sequel to the "The talented mr. Ripley", but instead of Matt Damon the lead is John Malkovich. Because the director had to leave the production to direct an opera, Malkovich actually directed a third of this movie. Riply is still an amoral trickster and thief, but he makes a couple of choices that makes me question if he's a full-on psyco. Riley is asked to find someone who can kill for money. Partly as revenge for an insult at a party Ripley picks Jonathan (Dougray Scott) because he has terminal cancer and he's an "inocent".

Lena Headey plays Jonathan's wife in an early role and Ray Winstone is cast against type as a gay pot-user. I really like this thriller. It's smart, very well acted, beautifully shot (much of it in Italy) and the plot is excellent!

No, you’re wrong, Barbel, you’re behind me in the queue 😆

Seriously though, I’m envious of you being able to see those old classic Bonds in the cinema!

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters

Broadly speaking the more structured approach is a trait of the MGM produced Marx Brothers films, while the earlier Paramount ones have the more anarchic style that you mentioned there Gymkata. I personally really enjoy it both ways, but in the end my two favourites (Animal Crackers and Duck Soup) belong to the Paramount period. In fact, regarding Duck Soup the only thing it's missing for me is a Chico piano scene. They are always a massive highlight for me.

Coincidentally my last film seen is also a Marx Brothers movie - ROOM SERVICE. One of my least favourites from the Brothers but as almost all of the Marx Bros films are currently streaming on The Criterion Channel I decided to revisit a few of them and this rewatch didn't do anything to improve my opinion of the film. It did have a few decent laughs, but far fewer than the average Marx Bros film. It was based on a pre-existing non-Marx Bros play, which possibly explains why.

The Cat And The Canary (1979)

I watched this because of the cast which includes Honor Blackman, Edward Fox and Wilfred Hyde-Whyte. Unfortunately it’s a very dull affair and nothing like as good as the Bob Hope original. Relatives of the late Cyrus West are called to his mansion, full of secret panels and sliding bookcases, for the filmed reading of is will. The sole beneficiary has to spend the night in the house and deemed to be sane in the morning…you can guess the rest.

The humour is forced and baring some decent storm atmospherics it’s a slow watch.