If the lead died right before the filming of a Bond movie, who would they cast?

Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,702MI6 Agent
edited June 2021 in The James Bond Films

Let's imagine the actor cast as James Bond died by electrocuting himself in the bath just a week before principal filming started. This can happen to any of the actors before any of their movies. The producers are set on making the movie anyway, so they have to re-cast quickly. Who do you think they would have called? Who do you wish they called?

I haven't seen Michael Billington in much, but it's easy imagining him getting a call if Roger Moore was careless when listening to the radio while playing with the plastic ducks in the bath tub. That is until he appeared in TSWLM, but a quick Re-cast of the KGB agent killed in the PTS would allow him to step in as Bond in that one too. Do you have any suggestion or opinions? (I miss the Bond emoji...)

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

If it had been Connery in the early years, perhaps Richard Johnson or (if they could persuade him) Patrick McGoohan, or of course Roger Moore if TV work allowed.

In the latter part of Connery's tenure replacement would have been more difficult, and again I suggest Moore if possible would be the pick. Established stars such as Richard Burton would certainly have been discussed. For DAF, John Gavin would obviously be the pick.

Lazenby, it would be back to the drawing board.

Billington for Moore, yes, and later they were looking at James Brolin as we all know.

Dalton- well, Sam Neill was already on the radar.

Brosnan, I don't have any ideas off the top of my head.

Craig, ignoring my well known antipathy towards his casting in the first place, there were many options who have been well discussed- Cavill probably being their first choice.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,702MI6 Agent
    edited June 2021

It would surprise me if James Purefoy wasn't a potential replacement if Pierce was careless with electric devices while bathing.

edited June 2021

Sam Neil had absolutely no interest in playing Bond and Liam Neeson's girlfriend wouldn't let him take the role. I think both could have become very good Bonds if given the oportunity, but I don't think Cubby would have called them in a pinch.

edited June 2021

Are you sure Sam Neill (one of my favourites) "had absolutely no interest in playing Bond"?

(124) Sam Neil as James Bond - Screentest (1986) - YouTube

Why would he have tested?

Edit- The story I have is that John Glen, MGW, BB, and (maybe) Richard Maibaum were all impressed with Neill's test, but when they played it back to Cubby he very firmly shook his head and said "No".

I've seen/read a couple of interviews where Neil talks about the screentest. He says his agent "bullied" him into doing the screentest, but he didn't want to be James Bond.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

If anything had happened to RM during his tenure, I would have liked to have seen Ian Ogilvy step in.

For PB, I always think Daniel Day Lewis would have made a terrific Bond.

For DC, Hugh Jackman.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
    edited June 2021

Daniel Day - Lewis is one of the best actors of his generation, but I really doubt he would have been Cubby's first call in that situation.

Ian Oglivy on the other hand strikes me as just the type to step in on weeks notice to play Bond.

Wasn't it the case that MGW and BB simply didn't offer Jackman enough money compared to what he could get elsewhere?

Yes, definitely. I see "Van Helsing" as his audition tape- M scene, Q scene, "Your reputation precedes you", etc.

edited June 2021

I think Crowe said on Graham Norton that EON wanted Ridley Scott and himself to "take over" the franchise. But I don't think such a big star isn't the one to call a week before filming of a new Bond film.

Ridley Scott? I'd doubt that, since he'd surely want more authority than Eon would be prepared to give him.

That's what Crowe said, but obviously it didn't work out. Scott has a reputation of having a sizable ego and wanting to decide things himself, so it's no surprise it never happened.

• 00730073 COPPosts: 977MI6 Agent
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech

Not my at all. But it's shocking how dangerous it is to listen to the radio in the bath... 😏

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent

I had a theory that Bean was on board as insurance for Brosnan lest he had to pull out.

Putting a movie on hold is hard - all the other actors have to be paid off or accounted for or recast.

Some actors would love to do Bond just the once though. For Dalton, they could have got Mel Gibson. Of course, had he been good then you'd have felt his loss after one film. Burton for Lazenby but would he have been available? Could they have bought him out of another movie?

How about Moore for Dalton had the latter pulled out or died? After all, he'd have been available, and was a know quantity. Maybe even Connery! But he was doing good stuff then on The Untouchables etc.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

For DC, I think Jason Isaacs would have been a great replacement.

And as Barbel notes, Patrick McGoohan would have made a great Bond, particularly in the mid to late 60s (try to watch Ice Station Zebra without imagining him as 007) so could have been a good fit if poor old George had a bathtub incident, as well as for Sean.

Richard Johnson doesn't do it for me as Bond.

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,737MI6 Agent

McGoohan, who actually was a Bond candidate prior to DN allegedly was ultimately not interested in playing Bond due to religious / moral convictions. Otherwise, a good option for sure. McGoohan was equally good at playing the hero or the villain throughout his career, a good trait for a Bond actor, IMO. Interestingly, McGoohan would have been the second American born actor to play Bond (McGoohan was born in Astoria Queens , NY but the family moved back to Ireland when he was very young).