Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent

I wish the best for members who are in places experiencing a dangerous heatwave. (there is a heatwave here too, but the temperature will stay under 30 degree celsius). Stay safe! I also urge everyone to update themselves on what the science says about climate change. 🤒

I want to reccomend the youtuber known as Lindybeige. He's a very British man who posts short videos on a number of subjects with an abundance of charm and enthusiasm. He's so enthusiastic some mistakes are bound to happen, but instead of reading from a script he corrects himself via texts in the videos. His short videos often has interesting and (for me) new perspective on different aspects of whatever he's talking about. Much of it is about warfare in ancient times up to WWII and sometimes the current age, but there are other topics such as travel in the middle ages. Because the videos usually are short and Lindybeige is funny and interesting I believe people who aren't normally interested in history will like his videos.

• JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent

I don't know anything about computer games and I don't know where to put this so place it here in the hope that it might be of interest to games players.

Apparently some fans have made a new James Bond computer game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV3LFzBbkqY

Happy constitution day to all US citizens! 🇺🇲

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent

It looks like I’m the only English football fan on AJB, but I don’t care 😁 well done lads, into the final on Sunday against Italy. My sleeping patterns have all gone haywire because of e time difference but it’s worth it!!!

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent

Yeah, in days of old we'd have a football thread going but it's all fallen asleep here. Getting football withdrawal symptoms when it's not on.

Seriously, the chances England missed tonight... why can't they get more white shirts into the box? Who are they going to cross to?

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

I thought it was a nail-biting match - plenty of skill shown on both sides and a brilliant result for England. I wonder if DC was in the crowd?

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

On the subject of the Danes, has anyone clocked the actor Claes Bang? I first saw him a while back playing Dracula, then at the weekend saw him in The Burnt Orange Heresy.

At 53 he's too old to play 007, but he's a good actor and looks uncannily like a cross between Pierce Brosnan and George Lazenby:

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited July 2021

England was the slightly better team - first goal an own-goal by a denish defender - second goal after a very controversial penalty.

Sterling imo best player of the tournament!

Other than this 65.000 people virtually unmasked packed in a stadium while having incidences over 200 and over 30.000 new Covid infections/day - together with booing at the Denish anthem and laserpointing Schmeichel is simply disgusting imo

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    edited July 2021

I'm not English but I've been an England football supporter for most of my life. Unfortunately as a South African, it's rare for my country to even qualify for an international competition but I've got strong links to England so it's good to finally be able to see England play in a tournament final and I'm eagerly looking forward to Sunday's match.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

Quick question- who is Schmeichel and what happened with laser pointing? (I do not watch football, keep it simple)

edited July 2021

Schmeichel is the Denish goalkeeper and someone was pointing a laserpointer to his face multiple times during the match - also prior to the penalty.

He caught the first attempt - so I am not saying that it affected him directly during that shot, but it's simply unfair and appalling.

Happens not only in UK stadiums - which doesn't make it remotely better.

Thanks, Higgins. That's terrible.

(What's a goalkeeper, btw? Just kidding)

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,172MI6 Agent

My Dad and Me have watched the last 3 games together and have been saying the same thing, Napoleon. There is still very much a safety first approach with England. While I am pleased we are winning, this team does not excite me in the way Terry Venables' 1996 side did. Italy are built the same way so the final could be a yawn.

edited July 2021

Even I know a "goalkeeper" is like a gamekeeper, only for football and not deer etc. 😁

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,414Chief of Staff

Apologies for quoting your whole post, as I’m only bothered about your last couple of sentences (I genuinely have no interest in the England national team)…

There have been numerous ‘test events’ in the UK (at least two in Liverpool) where people are allowed into events - in Liverpool’s case it was a concert and a ‘dance club event’…ALL had to provide a negative COVID test before entry…but then we’re allowed a ticket for entry with no face-masks having to be worn and no ‘social distancing’ required. ALL then had to provide another COVID test afterwards…out of the thousands in attendance there was about 28 positive tests afterwards…

YNWA 97

.... and we all know how accurate those COVID tests really are......

edited July 2021

Deleted

edited July 2021

Unless it‘s a PCR test ( you did not tell which kind of tests are used), it‘s more like 60%…..

Added: Just found one source mentioning „lateral flow tests“ which means around 60% accuracy.

Lea seydoux has tested positive for Covid-19, possibly keeping her from attending the Cannes film festival. I wish her a swift and complete recovery.

Yes, you were negligent in mentioning to which tests you were referring…so I picked the more conventional tests used 😘

YNWA 97
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent

The one time this website doesn't have a thread going for the football, and it's the one time in 55 years that England gets to the Final!

This site is like that Tory MP who vowed not to watch an England game this year because they were taking the knee! Oops!

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

...and that's exactly what you are doing here for years:

Instead of helping to move the discussion forward by helping out with facts or any helpful information, you knowingly throw out-of context information (the tests that have been used in Liverpool have an accuracy of max. 60%) into the discussion just to make a cheap point against me and show how smart you are.

You were free to do exactly that, NP, as was everyone else here.

There are plenty of other threads where your sharp wit and debating skills would be appreciated, Higgins. Why hide away in this little corner?

edited July 2021

Because you have closed the Brexit, Covid and political threads, Barbel 😂

Now seriously, I started in the off-topic with my concerns about the consequences of the stadium-packing in London and it was Sir Miles, who kind of replied by throwing smoke and mirrors - as usually.

I've tried to stay on topic - Sir Miles not so much, so why don't you give this kind of advise to him?

Because he contributes elsewhere, which is what I'm asking.

🤣 I absolutely stayed on topic 🤣

I’m not sure why you are SO obsessed with me though 🤷🏻‍♂️

YNWA 97