Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff

So called England fans have tried to force their way into Wembley Stadium ๐ŸŸ

YNWA 97
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    edited July 2021

Some football fans (quite irrespective of the team) always have to make a spectacle out of themselves and let their side down. It doesn't reflect well on them, especially in the current Covid-19 climate where at least most people are trying their best day to day to comply with the government regulations.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent

What's all this rubbish?

@Barbel I was only joshing about how we haven't set up a Euro 2020/21 thread. I don't actually care.

@Higgins I agree about the boorish crap from England fans, in particular the laser pen. It makes me queasy and ashamed to be an England supporter. It's odd how at odds it is with the England team who come across as decent and principles - the taking the knee thing is great - but are at odds with a) The fans - booing the opposing national anthem and b) The Govt.

There was a lot of rain tonight, which was good for the lawn.

Re the match. We got beaten. Didn't show up for the second half, didn't throw on any amazing subs until it was too late for them to do anything. We wasn't robbed. I would never, ever have predicted we'd have gone to the Final and Extra Time and Penalties going by the opening games.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

a) The fans - booing the opposing national anthem…

Whilst I don’t particularly like this, it’s something that most nations do to the opposition national anthem…I get more angry with racial and homophobic slurs that the knuckle draggers can’t wait to post immediately afterwards ๐Ÿคฌ

YNWA 97

It should be like the game against Ukraine in Rome - fans should face a middle class test from now on.

They should name their favourite white and red wines, be able to discuss garden paragolas, and give a potted account of the Rufus Sewell series Zen. England flags should be clean and fresh out of the box.

Six packs allowed but not as beer.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,701MI6 Agent

I have visitors so I may not be able to post very often. Not much is happening here, but yesterday I went swimming in the deepest lake in Europe (it's not far, but it's 514 m deep) and spotted a Synnøve Macody Lund lookalike. The weather was really nice. ๐Ÿ˜

Ha! Ha! That's it! (The State we're in, I can't find a decent emoticon of a laugh, I feel like a stroke victim on this site nowadays... I mean, even that stroke victim joke I could soften by having that 'gulp!' emoticon but it's not hear any more.)

Anyway, fans should also order their G+Ts at the bar to be ready for the interval.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

Just use the keyboard emojis Nappy ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

My new phone is (alledgely) waterproof. It's also said to be able to take photos underwater, a feature that's unlikely to be used by me. My brother-in-law just suggested the next step om smartphone evolution - a small propeller that emerges from the dropped phone and sendes it back to the owner on the surface. ๐Ÿ˜‚

edited September 2021

Deleted

I talked to a German lady om vacation here yesterday who came from the areas hit by flood. The images we see om TV are dramatic and the number of victims are tragic. I hope everyone living in sentral Europe are safe.

Today it's ten years since the terrorist attacks om Utøya and Oslo. Hopefully we'll be better at stopping voilent political extremism in the future.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent

Congratulations to Hidilyn Diaz who has won the gold medal in the 55kg weightlifting class for the Philippines - the first gold medal in the country’s history after 97 years! And how nice to see her saluting the flag and respecting the national anthem - the whole country is proud of you.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    edited August 2021

I'm watching the Danish crime series Hvide Sande ("White Sands"), a fun series that reminds me a bit of "Death i paradise". The female lead is played by Marie Bach Hansen who says she auditioned for the role of Severine in SF. At the time she had left the acting academy just two years earlier, but she had been in the second most successful Danish movie ever - Klown: the movie. EON obviously casts a wide net when casting because her character doesn't even have a name. At least this tells is Severine wasn't always supposed to be a former Chinese sex slave.

I feel this post requires illustrations:

edited August 2021

I understand a Norwegian ran really fast in Tokyo today. Congratulations!

(Is Karsten Warholm related to the double agent who was killed by two SOE agents in Stockholm, maybe the inspiration to one of Bond's two first kills? They share the last name.)

Not random this at all, and a Bond thread too but here goes:

This article from MI6-hq.com outlines how No Time To Die might be pushed back to 2022 because it is unlikely to recoup its costs in the current climate. One eye-opener is the list of Bond films in recent years - well, the last 20 years - that didn't make much of a profit in relation to the costs of the film, that is, didn't generate much of a return. But there is plenty else to enjoy in this piece that contains absolutely no spoilers.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,177MI6 Agent

Ha ! Fun facts. I always said they'd wait until 2022. I'm not that bothered anymore, which is terrible given I'm a OO7 fan. As I wasn't exactly looking forward to the prospect of more Craig misery, I can wait another twelve months or twelve years if I need to.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

Thanks for the article, NP, much food for thought there.

Turning sentimental, I recall back in early 2017 thinking that the way things were going, it was unlikely my elderly mother who had advanced Parkinson's and was in a nursing home would live long enough to see the next Bond film. We'd taken her to see Spectre at the BFI Imax (back row, wheelchair access is also about the best seat in the house imo) and she'd loved it - this would have been around Feb or March, what, 2016? A few months after its release.

Little did I know that with the number of delays, she'd have had zero chance! If the Parkinson's or related illness didn't get her, the Covid would. She died in Oct 2017 btw.

It's getting to the point where - as someone on Twitter has said - you wonder if the film even exists, it's like some sort of mad time capsule now! It would be like getting to see Moonraker in 1981, the time FYEO came out. (That would make sense actually, as that's around when the shuttle eventually came to be launched!) I'm even wondering if I'll be around by the time No Time To Die comes out. Billie Eilish will be an old maid. Will her song be nominated for an Oscar or has that ship sailed? What's the policy on that?

(Apols but I'm avoiding the NTTD forum for fear of spoilers!)

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

This could go on forever (or another year or two anyway..)

In the UK at least, there is a window of opportunity (albeit things are sill not great) to release as planned, but obviously the Delta variant is taking its toll elsewhere around the world and I appreciate those holding the purse strings will look at making maximum returns regarding when to release the film.

The thing is, if another variant comes along and we all need boosters or another type of vaccine, things could stay like this for quite some time. When would they delay it to? February 2022? The colder months supposedly bring more cases. April 2022? We may still be feeling the affects of a winter spike. Summer 2022 then? Seven years since SP and three years from its original release date.

My heart goes out to those terminally ill Bond fans that may not get to see it.

The Tokyo Olympics raised spirits around the world and brought hope. I know Tokyo is struggling with its cases and there was and still is controversy in the country as to whether it should have gone ahead or not, but for many around the world it was seen as a beacon of light and actually a successful Games, especially when you consider what has and still is going on. Japan will have lost a lot of money and I feel for them, even more so on a personal level. For years, they were planning the greatest show on earth and welcoming the world to their country.

I'm not comparing a James Bond film to the Olympics but I think it would bring some much needed respite and might attract cinema goers back, and help local cinemas that are still really struggling. I think the longer the delay, the less people will actually go and see the film anyway, so I think they need to get it out there, cut their losses, close the chapter and start afresh with renewed vigour for a $Billion dollar blockbuster in 2024.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent

Someone in Witten/Germany filled his car up at a petrol station with petrol instead of Diesel.

He found it smart to remove the petrol by sticking the vacuuming hose into the tank and the station is now on fire.

๐Ÿคท๐Ÿฝ‍โ™‚๏ธ

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,177MI6 Agent

Is that for real? Sound hilarious in a dumb Zoolander sort of way

edited September 2021

My brother-in-law started filling diesel in the water tank of the Windebago he borrowed from his parents! ๐Ÿ˜‚

In his defence the water tank was cunningly disguised as a diesel tank by the designers, not to mention he first used a funnel then water to her rid of the diesel.

edited August 2021

I sometimes read the blog "Frog in the fjord" where a Frenchwoman living in Norway writes about the country in an insightful and funny way. One piece she wrote was about funny Norwegian expressions. As a part of my quest to make the world Norway I post some of them here. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

- "To buy the cat in the bag." To make a bad purchase.

- "It sells like minched sh*t". Something people buy a lot of. "The hot dogs sell like minched sh*t today".

"The lights are on, but no-one's at home". Often said about people who are mentally vacant or at least show a lack of concentration.

"For how long was Adam in paradise?" Happines doesn't last long. In the north they often say "For how long was Adam in Eve?"

"To be on a berry trip". This isn't about narcotic berries at all. It means being wrong or not knowing what you're talking about. "He was on a berry trip when he spoke about the health system in the US".

"Plucking the onion". Mastrubating.

"Texas". Crazy or wild. "The field excersise was completely Texas".

"To have ice in the stomach". To be patient and calm.

• hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent

Hello everyone. I hope you're all doing ok. I haven't posted on here for a good while, mainly because i've taken a back seat with Bond. It's just been underwhelming as a fan to keep reading about NTTD being pushed back.

Now that restrictions have eased, i am confident EON will release the film with the new date and i'm excited to see it. Whenever that may be.

I will be posting on here a lott more now.

All the best

HHLOG

Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

Glad to see you back amongst us!

I'm glad you're back. It's important to have ice in the stomach when it comes to NTTD release dates.

I drove a Tesla for the first time tonight, a 2015 Tesla S. It was a very pleasant car to drive and it felt slightly science-fiction with the large screen and so on. It was also my first time using the American gear system placed by the steering wheel.That took some getting used to, but the main negative aspect was interior space. For a man my size (6'2'') it felt too small and the sitting space in my own 2008 Toyota Prius is in my opinion better.

• GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,294MI6 Agent

Just had lots of movie poster on linen , amazing stuff : 007 , kung fu , Loren , Batman '66 , Jaws , Rocky , R60s Great Escape ......most 1st issue too