Predict the release year of Bond 26

John from CorkJohn from Cork Posts: 111MI6 Agent
edited July 2021 in General James Bond Chat

I reckon 2027 for the 65th anniversary. I also think Wilsons & Broccoli will have sold their half of the business to MGM/Amazon by then.

Comments

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent
    edited July 2021

Not sure I could stand another six year wait, but a lot to get through before work can start on a new film. 2024 would be great, but more realistically, keeping my fingers crossed for 2025.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,702MI6 Agent

I agree with The Red Kind, 2025 seems realistic.

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent

Just as there were some fans keen on holding off so a film could come out in the year 2007, someone should suggest that the ideal year for Bond 26 should be 2026. I will be that someone.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent

I’m going with there not being a Bond 26.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent

I’m sure that as long as there is a dollar to be made from them, Bond cinema will continue.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent

If Amazon leave it to Broccoli and Wilson it will be 2026/2027.

If Amazon flex their muscles it could be 2024 and then every 2 years afterwards. They will cast an actor around 30 years of age and tie him up into a long contract.

Either way it will be a re-boot.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,446MI6 Agent

i can’t believe Amazon would kill Bond feature films. The movies have a successful track record of close to 50 years. They rely on a proven formula.

A limited run Bond series would be a massive risk since there is no proof that audiences crave an 8 or 10 hour 007 story with the kinds of twists and turns you’d need to sustain that length.

i can see Amazon experimenting with a Bond series (one set in the 50s for instance) but only in addition to conventional tent pole event films.

I’m guessing late 2023 or spring 2024.

No Bond 26 is in my opinion an impossibility. Just Consider the money the Bond movies have made only in Craig's tenure, noto to mention the money Amazon spent. It's simple capitalism.

Let me be more specific. I’m predicting there will be no continuation of the Bond series as we know it. Bond 26, or Bond 1, the next Bond film, will be more than a reboot. It will be an entirely different direction. Amazon will surely want to make money from their investment. It’s another Disney moment.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff

Only speculating dear boy 😂

edited July 2021

I don't belive Bond will take an entirely new direction, whatever that means. There will be some type of change from NTTD to Bond 26. it could range from just casting a new Bond actor and gradually changing the tone of the movies to fit him, to also changing the entire Scooby gang and having a new tone from day one like they did in CR. But whatever they decide on I think the movies will be easily reccognisable as Bond movies. Anything else would be too risky financially.

• 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent

One could hope that Bond might re-emerge in a long form format, set in the 1950’s and following closely the story lines from Fleming’s thrillers. But I’m afraid that is a forlorn hope. It would likely turn out like the recent “War of the Worlds” series that was properly set at the turn of the century (1900) but with a script that’s was crafted from …

It's been discussed here from time to time. Most agree with you that's it's a forlorn hope, but we can dream of a period miniseries of Fleming's stories.

Very difficult to predict which direction it will take.

If Amazon want to create more spin-offs, it may mean Bond 26 has greater story arcs for supporting characters, in order to launch subsequent spin-off films. This is something I would not want to happen if it meant the James Bond character was diluted to accommodate.

Bond films should be about James Bond's missions and adventures. They shouldn't be adventures and missions featuring James Bond as mainly the lead character but with other characters coming close to equal screen time and back story. I feel NTTD will be more this way than any Bond film we've had so far, but I do accept it's a bit different this time round, which works for the story arc, though I generally prefer individual mission non sequel type Bond films.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

in another thread we were discussing other existing series Amazon had taken over, as a sort of precedent for what they might do with the Bond franchise. The one example that came up was an ongoing Lord of the Rings teevee series, which would cover periods of history of Middle Earth that Tolkien had only briefly mentioned in the Silmarillion and the appendices to Lord of the Rings. Still in production, I gather, so we don't know if they've done a respectful job or not. but its planned as a two or three year series, so would require a lot of additional material Tolkien never wrote.

of course EON have already given us a lot material Fleming never wrote, but its almost all selfcontained plots repeating the established formula, with little exploration of Bond's backstory or surrounding universe. If they were to give us a similar two to three years teevee series acting as a sort of prequel, that'd make the "personal" angle of the recent Craig films look minor in comparison.

On the other hand, if I was Amazon and had just invested this obscene amount of money in a long established franchise, I'd want to play it safe, to keep the largest possible audience, not risk losing that audience through experimentation. The conservative approach would be to make new films that more closely resemble the Connery era classics, as opposed to what EON have given us lately.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff

🤔

The trouble is you are never far wrong 😳🙈🤷🏻‍♂️

😊

YNWA 97
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

I remember Asp9mm assuring us the Thirteenth Doctor would be a woman and the show would be a disaster, he does have some sort of prophetic superpowers!

edited July 2021

Only an annoying opinionated moron with an egg obsession would attempt that.

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent

.... and rightly so! 😡

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!

New AJB feels more and more like home every day 🤗

This is more like it!😄

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    edited August 2021

The Craig films have made stacks of money though, I would say the conservative approach would be to make more of the same.

But whether you can do that and for the audience appetite to stay the same remains to be seen. Die Another Day was a massive hit but they still saw where the wind was blowing and made a change of direction, and the numbers showed they were right to do so.

My total guess is that when the Amazon goes through fully they'll try and step up the pressure a bit and we might get the next film by maybe 2025..? Depending on how NTTD turns out I could imagine Mr Fukunaga perhaps helping to steer a new direction for Bond: he's the first director to write a 007 movie and he's talked about how he and Ms Broccoli even had a session discussing possible new Bond actors before Craig decided to return so it might be something they'd get him to revisit.

I don't really know what direction they could go in: the tone of the Craig films still seems in vogue in the cinematic landscape even 15 years later.

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,757MI6 Agent

It pains me to say it, but they would do well to wait a year or two before doing any work on Bond 26. The current cultural environment is highly volatile, but might give way again to something approaching sanity at some point. One can hope, anyway.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    edited August 2021

Volatile? Which current issue are you thinking of? Brexit or pandemic? 😊 I hope you're not going to say 'woke' because there's too much nonsense spoken with that word invoked recently. I keep seeing misleading Daily Mail headlines trying to stoke up anger to sell a few more papers that have that in the headline (there was one about film certification that bordered on being outright lies): if you ignore that sort of culture war being ignited by the Elliot Carvers of the world it all looks a bit more sane beyond it 😊

• Bond fan from OzBond fan from Oz Posts: 88MI6 Agent

I would say either 2023 or 2024.

I say EON would be keen to get things moving with The New Guy ASAP.

• DavidJonesDavidJones BermondseyPosts: 253MI6 Agent

I'd love that, but it just wouldn't happen, sadly.

Bond isn't Barbara's priority anymore. She likes having long breaks between films. I think it likely that she and Wilson will sell their rights to Amazon when the dust has settled on the MGM sale. Her side-projects haven't been successful and it will be tough to get financing for more. A two billion dollar deal (say) will allow Eon to be a most substantive company that can permanently put down the begging bowl.

• DavidJonesDavidJones BermondseyPosts: 253MI6 Agent

I don't think it will come out for a few years if Eon retain control.

Barbara isn't as interested in making these films anymore. And that makes sense when you think it was her father who started the whole thing. She has her own interests and films she would like to make.

I think it likely that she and Wilson will sell their share of the rights when the dust settles on the MGM deal. Her side-projects haven't been particularly successful and financing will difficult to find if she wants to make more. Selling Bond, on the other hand, gives her something like two and a half billion dollars to do make what she wishes without having to take the begging bowl to studios all the time.

• Christmas TounesChristmas Tounes GloucestershirePosts: 164MI6 Agent

I'll go with 2027.

The production difficulties suffered on NTTD won't just disappear for the next movie, plus there will be plenty more spanners thrown in the works. As it stands, there is no credible replacement for Craig. Michael G. Wilson is aging and Barbara Broccoli is going through a mid-life crisis.

1. Goldeneye 2. OHMSS 3. Goldfinger 4. TND 5. Octopussy 6. FYEO
    7. LALD 8. TWINE 9. Skyfall 10. AVTAK 11. CR 12. TLD 13. YOLT
    14. TMWTGG 15. Moonraker 16. TSWLM 17. Thunderball 18. FRWL
    19. Dr. No 20. DAF 21. LTK 22. DAD 23. QoS 24. Spectre 25. NTTD