Tributes Thread

Comments

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    edited July 2021

That's sad news. One of my Law/Criminology lecturers, Professor Phil Scraton, later wrote the Hillsborough Independent Panel Report into the disaster.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    edited August 2021

Remembering John Gardner, the second official James Bond continuation author and successful thriller writer, on the fourteenth anniversary of his death on 3 August 2007. 💐

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

John Gardner is often underrated as a Bond writer. I enjoyed his first Bond books, but can't deny there was a decline as his his series progressed. I still remember being excited buying "Licence Renewed".

I have his Bond books on my main shelves along with the others, and his Boysie Oakes books on one of the bookcases in my bedroom (yes, basically I live in a library). Horowitz is the only other author I do that with.

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters

I had a good time throughout my experience of reading the John Gardner Bond novels, even the later ones and I've always had a great respect for the author managing to stick with the series for as long as he did (even though he'd no doubt much rather be doing something else).

It's a bit of a coincidence that the anniversary on his passing came up yesterday, because just a couple of days ago I was contemplating making a John Gardner novel (non-Bond) my next read. It will probably be The Nostradamus Traitor, although Flamingo is another that I have waiting on my shelf.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

RIP Una Stubbs. Beautiful woman and wonderful actress. Grew up with her as Aunt Sally and thought she was great fun as Mrs Hudson in later life. Will be missed.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,177MI6 Agent

Ah, yes, sadly missed, Una Stubbs, a very sexy sixties girl, had that certain up-west look, quite perky. Wasn't she Cliff Richard's girlfriend for a time? Lots of shouting practice with Warren Mitchell, Dandy Nicolls and Tony Blair's father-in-law Antony Booth in Till Death Us Do Part. RIP.

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

I re-read all the Gardner novels a couple of years ago in chronological order and thoroughly enjoyed them all. The first ones were the best, but even the last ones are a fun read if you approach them the right way. I remember when they first came out that I was impressed that Bond was the age he would have been at that time. I thought that was very smart even as a teenager!

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent

A year before James Bond ran Tilly Masterton off the road in Goldfinger, Sir Cliff did the same to Una Stubbs in Summer Holiday.

RIP Una, you were tops.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited August 2021

The death of the UK comedian Sean Lock at the age of only 58 has been announced.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

Very sad news. A truly gifted comedian. Thank you for the smiles and belly laughs a plenty. RIP

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Singer Don Everley's died, aged 84. (He's on the right, with brother Phil).

Shame to see it relegated to final story on BBC News.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Rolling Stones' drummer Charlie Watts gone to the Great Gig in the Sky, aged 80.

Damn shame, I knew he was going in for an op but not that kind of op. I thought he had a bit left in the tank.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

Damn.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,703MI6 Agent

Sad news indeed. The Rolling Stones members seemed like they were immortal.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

RIP to the classiest Stone.

I think it was his jazz roots that gave the Stones a groove that their many imitators could not replicate.

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff

You had to love Charlie Watts. RIP.

Vox clamantis in deserto

At the curtain call of every one of the Stones' concerts I went to, Charlie Watts always got the loudest and most affectionate cheer. I think even rock n roll fans know class when they see it. Charlie Watts. RIP.

I just read that Fritz McIntyre, the original keyboard player with Simply Red, passed on a couple of days ago. His contribution to the soulful rhythm section of that 80s / 90s line up was unmistakable. He stuck it out with Mick Hucknall longer than anyone from the original line up. A sad loss.

Ted Dexter too. A gentleman cricket captain. This is not a good week.

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

My grandmother always said that deaths come in threes, and clusters certainly do seem to happen amongst celebrities as we've seen recently. On a positive note, I bet there's some great jamming going on with Fritz McIntyre, Charlie Watts and Don Everley and Brian Travers of UB40.

• Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent

RIP to Ed Asner, a seven-time Emmy winner best known as Lou Grant from the comedy "Mary Tyler Moore" and it's dramatic spin off "Lou Grant." He was 91.

Sarah Harding, from Girls Aloud, who may or may not have been to everyone's taste, but were phenomenally successful, passed away from breast cancer. Only 39 which puts a lot of life into perspective. I always rather enjoyed their cheeky brand of power-pop. Another loss to the music world. RiP

Indeed, very sad news regarding the death of Sarah Harding. So young at just 39. Only 3 years older than me. Tragic.

They'll be shouting "Omar walking!" in heaven soon.

Michael K. Williams RIP

Omar was my favorite WIRE character--a terrifying guy with a real sense of honor--and Michael K. Williams's death really hits me hard. Also, we lost Jean-Paul Belmondo, the stylist French actor best remembered for his "New Wave" roles.

Vox clamantis in deserto
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent

Please raise a glass to my father who passed away peacefully yesterday after a nearly year long battle with brain cancer. He was a lifelong Bond fan and was super excited to see NTTD.

@walther p99 I'll raise a glass of Cepa Madre 🍷 🍷 Many condolences

Condolences on the loss of your father, @walther p99. 🍸

edited September 2021

My condolances to you, Walther p99. 😔

My regards, Walther.

Vox clamantis in deserto