The Silencer & Black Garter

Comments

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

With pleasure SM. With pleasure.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent

silly said:

another factor is the changeover to the new Vanilla forum software in March. I personally think the new software is great and the site has never looked better but I know it takes time for people to get used to something new. Some members have possibly been put off by getting used to the new forum features. 

I've seen people say exactly this, they're frustrated because they cant find the emojis, or edit quotes.

I dont really understand, because "the other place" uses the same template and remains popular. Yet they didn't do all the slick customisations sico did: we have the more complex search tool, we can see the page numbers for each thread before opening the thread, and threads are organised into categories by default. Plus we have the more tasteful colour scheme.

The new format took some getting used to and to be honest, I still am to a certain extent. But it is a better format than the other places IMHO.

Regarding the emojis, I'm not sure why the icon isn't shown in bold black like the other options. Just a very minor point but would make it easier to see than the pale grey it currently is.

I think a few other things could be highlighted as well, just to make things slightly easier on the eye, such as, our names could be a font bigger and in bold. (Still bugs me slightly that some members don't post their own avatar picture for quick recognition and forum community spirit).

The most recent date/time in the main page thread for when a thread was last commented on/updated could be in bold, perhaps in white, as easier to scan quickly what/where the latest action is on the forum;

Would be useful if the most recently updated/commented on thread in each section were placed at the top of each page. For example below, the Playmobil Aston Martin DB5 thread was last commented on, July 19. There are other threads above it that haven't been commented on since 2019, 2020. So you have to scroll down the page within each section to find the latest chat. I know you can click directly on the date in the previous page to go straight to the latest thread commented on, but if you haven't visited for a few days, you literally have to scroll down each section to see what has been added, rather than just the first few threads that have been updated since your last visit (hope that makes sense??)

Apologies if these have been queried before. As I say, these are minor points and I appreciate are probably not possible to include or others may not agree. They're also certainly not criticisms at all, the effort that SiCo has put in and continues to put in is so appreciated.

Shall I post this in the site comment and suggestions section, or is it enough being here?

I owe you all another round for reading through my ramblings!🍻

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent
    edited July 2021

@The Red Kind

looking at your last screenshot, those top threads are all Announcements, which have been "stickied". The post from July 19th (presumably the real most recent) is the first one to appear that's not labelled an Announcement. Seems to be an unusual number of sticky Announcements in that particular subforum. I don't know if there's anything @SiCo could do about that except unsticky a few.

I think if we have questions or suggestions about the new Forum software they should probably go in this Welcome to the NEW Forum thread, @SiCo is most likely to find them there.

the other explanation is: its summer, most of us are doubledosed, and civilization is reopening: especially in the UK where many regulars live.

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,175MI6 Agent

After some reservations, I'm really enjoying the new AJB. It is still far and away the most easily accessible and user friendly fan site I've been a member of. The community is great too.

I think it's quiet because everybody is fed up waiting for NTTD. [I just had to remind myself the initials for the damn film.... see?]

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,416Chief of Staff

If you click on the cog ⚙️ symbol to the right you get an option to ‘dismiss’ these announcements and they then ‘fall’ back down the page as in date order 😁

emojis are simple enough to use - I think 👀 - you should be able to access them via your keyboard as usual…you certainly can with Apple tec 🍸

YNWA 97
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent

I really miss the James Bond emoji .....

edited July 2021

Look who I found on the bar .... 🤣

mr-bond_o_631523.gif (297×210) (memecdn.com)

edited August 2021

(walks in and the A.R.S.E. scans the face. Imediately serves Coke Zero)

I have an idea for something to talk about in this fine establishment: what's the most exotic thing you've experienced this summer?

I pretty much haven't left the county all summer, but I'm still experiencing something very exotic - a drought. We're rationing water, parts of the lawn is brown, farmers worry about getting enough water for the livestock and the fire department warns against lighting campfires. This may sound all too familiar to many, but a drought om the west coast of Norway is plain wrong. We pretty much share the weather with Irland.

Your turn - share your most exotic experience from this summer 🌄 😎

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

Yes, a drought just sounds wrong for where you are. It's part of the world's weather going crazy- you don't need me to give you a list.

Sadly, nothing exotic going on for me.

edited August 2021

Can anyone guess how many deserts (not desserts. It's dry, but not that dry) I've had today? The one I'm having now counts. 😋

No idea, N24. (Wrong way round, btw)

It was my third desert that day. There are far too many berries in the garden for us to eat noe that no-one is making lemonade from them. Berries now take the place of other meals. It's a hard life 😂

We have some nice little strawberries coming good in our very modest vegetable patch. A nice sense of achievement when eating as part of a dessert. I typically have fruit as a desert once a day, unless I'm on holiday in Italy (not happening this year..😔) where I will have a dessert about every hour!😋

It's a strange situation to be in. One almost gets tired of desert. And yes, I tend to mix desert and dessert 😂

We got one of the very few rainy days today BTW.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent

Talking of deserts, it’s like one in here. Drinks all round - who’s having what? A large Myer’s Dark rum with freshly squeezed Ormoc pineapple juice over ice, for me.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Well, it's 08.30 here so I'll just have a coffee, thanks. 😀

I'll have a Coke Zero, please. 😀

It's nice to see more people in this fine establishment!

Not quite the magic hour yet, so can I just have a nice pot of tea please? Any Custard Creams left?

• Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent

Helloooooooooo ...

Anyone here?

Is it too late to get a large glass of Sauvignon Blanc?

Hi. I'll buy you one.

• Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent

Thanks! Hope you'll join me in a coke zero. 😁

Is the pope an old, unmarried man?

Of cource I'll have a Coke Zero with you! 😀

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent

Nice too see you back, Lady Rose, this place has been lacking a bit of class 🥂 Sauvignon Blanc would be much appreciated 😁

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,774MI6 Agent

All beverages served as normal folks.

Also the A.R.S.E. Is fully restocked for when I’m busy.

(Impatient growling noises). Yes Holly, your lunch is ready! Fish today m’dear.

(TB2 howks a huge fish steak into Holly’s dish. It is clearly something on a Jurassic Park scale. )

Oh crikey! The fish need feeding too in the pond. How is everyone?

This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?

- Well, I'm healthy at least. There are lots of things to do around the house and ..... (suddenly remembers it's not a real question when the English and Americans say that).

- I'm great. How're you?

Coke Zero, please.

Everyone is impatiently awaiting the new movie, TB2, just killing time till we can all start talking about it. Nice to see you, how have you been?

• Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,774MI6 Agent
    edited August 2021

Not bad Barbel, keeping my head down with work and the battle of the bulge.

The struggle continues! As well as Netflix, one of my mates has kindly given me access to Disney +,

so I am devouring all the new great Star Wars series, animated and live action.

Been Revisiting the Prequels and classic films, but the sequels are awful. Such poor writing!

I also went to Bristol Comic con last month. It was amazing. Truly amazing!!

Caught up with my Father too, blessed relief to see how well he is after 18 months of lockdown.

We are already making plans for him to visit me in October.

This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?

@Thunderbird 2 is your Comic Con mostly dealers selling old comic books, or mostly promotions for new films and video games? I prefer the former type, but our local event is more like the latter.

edited August 2021

Glad to hear that, TB2. I'm in frequent contact with my mother.

Re Star Wars- I've never thought the prequels were as bad as their rep suggests but the more recent ones are very much a mixed bag (eg I like "The Force Awakens" and "Rogue One").