Vuarnet and prescription?

Went to purchase the Vuarnet sunglasses worn in Jamaica from a local optician and they asked if I wanted the authentic Vuarnet prescription lenses (more expensive) or their regular prescription vendor (less expensive).

Anyone get their prescriptions put into these frames? Which way did you go? Any benefit to going with the authentic Vuarnet lenses?

Comments

• JTullock23JTullock23 ArizonaPosts: 552MI6 Agent

I tried to, but it was going to cost over $800 so I passed.

"History isn't kind to men who play God." - DC "I gave him the limp." - PB "Better make that two." - TD

"Keeping British end up, sir." - RM "This never happened to the other fellow." - JL "I must be dreaming." SC
  • proteinproproteinpro Posts: 31MI6 Agent

I've had prescription lenses done for my Edge, costing $480 total for the lenses. I have an awkward prescription which necessitates that my lenses be cut perfectly. They are polarized mineral glass and I think they are terrific quality. Optics are incredibly clear and there are no problems with the polarization. I personally enjoy the weight of glass over polycarbonate.

With that said, I have a good relationship with my optometrist and thus I was able to bring in the Vuarnet frames purchased elsewhere for significantly less - in other words, I saved some money that way. Your mileage may vary in that you may have to buy both the frames and lenses direct for MSRP. They would cost over $800 otherwise.

With that said, I do believe Maui Jim makes better optics overall. But we're all here on this forum for a reason.