Royale Morocco Linen Blazer

Agent EternalAgent Eternal Athens, GreecePosts: 157MI6 Agent

I just saw that Daniel released the Morocco Linen Blazer and it looks exceptionally well made in the photos. However i have some difficulty understanding what its color actually is. I sampled their hue in Photoshop and it is almost pink in some areas.

I am 99% certain it is a problem of the photography and not of the textile's color as the work-in-progress photos in Instagram a few weeks ago looked superb.

If Daniel reads this i think it would be really helpful for us if he would take some additional exterior photos of the jacket under natural light.

Thanks!

Comments

• ThomoThomo ReadingPosts: 949MI6 Agent

Hi

Dan did mention the colour -

'I will mention the colour, because I’m not sure what people expect.  We got a very good match with the original, but I am aware that it’s not what people expect from the movie itself.  I was actually surprised by the colour match we got against the original, with our colour samples.  Is it perfect, of course not…  but I have put a few links the description on the store so you can explore the variation of the colour of the original with  what is represented on screen.'

It maybe to do with the colour that was put over the movie ? And agreed the blazer looks great

• Agent EternalAgent Eternal Athens, GreecePosts: 157MI6 Agent

What i would expect as color is the color of the original blazer and not how it looks in the color graded film. There are plenty of good photos of the original blazer in this forum as well as production stills like the following in natural light:

Or this under mixed color temperature lights:

The issue of the current Royale photos is that they don't even agree with themselves. And the pink hue is certainly a photographic mishap.

• armenianmoviemanarmenianmovieman The 818Posts: 672MI6 Agent

I guess we'll just have to wait for The Bond Experience to review this.

I've been looking forward to that review for a while now!

Yes. Consssssiderably.
  • NikoNiko Posts: 73MI6 Agent

My Royale Blazer arrived today. 

As usual I did take Dan’s advice and paid attention to the sizing chart (measured some other jackets as a comparison) and opted for my usual Royale size.  The fit of the jacket is excellent, it’s a trim fit but still has plenty of room. Sleeve and back lengths are spot on for me. It’s seems to have the details that I’ve seen in all the photos of the original.

The colour is probably going to be the issue that may divide opinion.  Dan made mention of this in his notification e-mail and on the website in the description of the jacket. When I first took the jacket out of the box my first thought was that it did have a pale pinkish hue in direct light, indoors it appears a light brown. Photos can be deceptive but I’m guessing this is a closer match to the original jacket and not the de-saturated images seen in the film.  Its personal taste but I’ll probably be using some brown Rit dye on mine to try and get closer to what was seen on screen.

• Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent

I am worried about this pinkish hue. It's now shown up in Royale's pics and in yours @Niko.

I've seen enough photos from those who bought the Brunello Cucinelli blazer to know what the fabric color should be. Anything with a pink undertone, especially in natural light, is just not it.

• JBWJBW CONUSPosts: 50MI6 Agent

I just ordered mine yesterday. Is there any way you could post more photos of it in the wild?

Or just in your living room haha.

Sartorially James Bond.
    Infographics detailing the Clothing and Accessories utilized by 007.
    IG: @jamesbondswardrobe

Wow! It looks even more pink in that photo! Perhaps I was wrong then and the hue shift was not a photographic mishap.

If David reviews the jacket, he might have a Brunello Cucinelli original to compare it with and illuminate as all.

I'll try and get a few more snaps posted. I will say that when it's photograped the colour pops way more than it does to the naked eye.

• JTullock23JTullock23 ArizonaPosts: 552MI6 Agent

Here is a recommendation when taking a photo, I’ve had to do this at times. When a photo comes out with a color different than the naked eye if you put your hand in the photo or something like that most cameras on phones will adjust the color correctly. You can then crop your hand out of the photo for when you load it here and it should be good. See if that works.

"History isn't kind to men who play God." - DC "I gave him the limp." - PB "Better make that two." - TD

"Keeping British end up, sir." - RM "This never happened to the other fellow." - JL "I must be dreaming." SC
  • Bond_AmbitionsBond_Ambitions Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 459MI6 Agent

I’ll take a few pics of mine using that trick and post them here tomorrow

edited September 2021

OK, The plot thickens...

I just saw some photos of the jacket on Instagram ( https://www.instagram.com/jamesbondzeitgeist/ ) and the color is NOT pink.

This has to be the most unphotographable linen fabric i have ever seen!

Or maybe there are different batches of the Jacket with different fabric colors?

Looking forward to more user photos of this lovely jacket!

edited September 2021

Looking forward to more reviews and pics and impressions!

Yes. Consssssiderably.

Sorry it’s taken a few days for me to post an update.  Earlier today I took a couple more snaps of the jacket.  This time I ditched the phone and dusted off my proper camera:

I like to use the items that I purchase and as I said before it’s down to personal taste but I couldn’t see myself wearing the jacket out and about in broad daylight.  Since I took the photos earlier today I’ve put my jacket through a dye (using a third of a bottle of Rit Dye Cocoa Brown), it’s still drying out but if anyone is interested here’s how it’s looking so far:

• Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent

I know my monitor has problems with some oranges and reds, but it still looks pink/lilac in the first two photos (it also does on my phone albeit a little browner, so something is definitely off with the color of the blazer). If you can't wear a linen blazer in natural daylight, what's the point?

The dying seems to help a little. I will be interested when it's dry.

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 814MI6 Agent

I can’t believe it’s actually blue and black…

• Bond_AmbitionsBond_Ambitions Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 459MI6 Agent
    edited September 2021

How's this for a comparison:

Screen accurate trousers, tie, boots and sunglasses. Generic white cotton shirt and I even have a vintage brown Globetrotter suitcase. These pics were taken in low angle sunlight around 5:30PM with my phone camera. No artificial light.

As much as I love most of Royale Filmwear's pieces, the colour of the Morocco jacket is a real miss, sugarcoating nothing. Its not terrible, just fails to capture the character of the original. Its a real shame as there has been great attention paid to some of the finer details. The fit is particularly good albeit somewhat short on me but still serviceable.

The only other 2 other complaints I have are the: 1# shoulders feel slightly too well structured. 2# the quality of the linen looks (not feels) too rough and loses the gorgeous soft & silky look of the original. I know the original is a blend of linen cotton and silk, making it impossible to replicate exactly at this price point, but I think there's certainly room for improvement in this regard.

Niko, I will be watching your dyeing attempt closely. Please document as much as you can. Hopefully we can all achieve something closer to this:

• Fulci2020Fulci2020 Posts: 27MI6 Agent

Thanks to Daniel and his Royale filmwear! I find this blazer with its color and the fitting perfect!!! I love this blazer and now I can capture the moment of the Morocco after-train-scene. :)

• JTullock23JTullock23 ArizonaPosts: 552MI6 Agent

The most recent photo by Fulci2020 appears that the jacket is more in line with the description Daniel gave in his email and on his site.

I’m sure there was only so much that could be done with the materials, colors, etc as BA previously stated. I’m interested in seeing how the dye job comes out as well. Just like with all of Daniel’s creations they get better with each run. I’m certain improvements will be made going forward.

"History isn't kind to men who play God." - DC "I gave him the limp." - PB "Better make that two." - TD

"Keeping British end up, sir." - RM "This never happened to the other fellow." - JL "I must be dreaming." SC
  • SokaSoka Posts: 23MI6 Agent

I hope you won't mind but I took the liberty of correcting the white balance of the photo in Photoshop to give a more accurate rendering of the colours. I used the eyedropper tool to select a point on the white shirt as a reference point.

It is really cool that photos of the actual Royal jacket are coming In. However I have to say that I don't feel any wiser now. That damn colour is really elusive. :)

edited September 2021

Some mixed results with the dyeing of my jacket:-

Before                                                            After

I used a Cocoa brown dye to try and get something close to the colour seen on screen (the de-saturated light brown look). Even though I used as little dye as I thought would be enough to dampen the underlying colour it has come out a darker brown than I’d hoped.

It has gone a good way in covering the pinkish hue that was showing in direct sunlight but in artificial light there is still a flash of a rust\maroon colour.

For anyoen else looking to go the dye (mixing) route, looking at Skin Tones and Browns:

Olive Beige or Beige Natural seem like the closest match?

Yes. Consssssiderably.

It's just odd they looked so spot on in Royale's initial batch of pics and IIRC the protoype, but then look so different in the second.

Yes. Consssssiderably.

Great photos! I am surprised it worked as well as it looks that it did even though it is not exactly the original BC jacket's s hue. Definitely an improvement to my eyes.

I am not sure how those dyes behave when used on already colored fabrics but from the photos you posted i have the feeling the pinkish hue of the Royal still manages to give it red undertones.

Perhaps then, one should consider selecting a tone closer to yellow to offset the pink one and end up somewhere in the middle of the color wheel.

Anyone else willing to share pictures/impressions?

Looking forward to canoe2's and Bond Experience's video reviews!

Yes. Consssssiderably.
  • Greg137blueGreg137blue milford michiganPosts: 74MI6 Agent

Here it is inside light and outside. Size medium. I’m 5’ 9”, 168 lbs. Charles tyrwhitt shirt, Magnoli tie, Banana republic light taupe chinos. Color varies greatly depending on lighting. The color tone in the attached picture are true to real life.

Thanks for a great post with really illuminating photos!

The jacket is really superb but I think there is no doubt now that there is something off with the color.

The last thing left to see is a direct comparison with the original next to eachother. This might also give as a clue as to what kind of dye should be used by anyone willing to match the original.

• canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent

Hey all! I spoke with Daniel and he's putting together a post/guide to address the color issue. So we probably want to be a little patient before we start experimenting with dying the jacket on our own.

Cheers!

John

edited September 2021

Thanks for the update, canoe2, and Greg137 for your pics and thoughts! Still looking forward to canoe's (and Bond Experience's) video reviews!

The strange thing is, it looks right on the money in the 5th pic on the site with the green background (and the great Bond zeitgeist Instagram pics) and makes me wanna buy it now, but looks a little funny in the rest of the pics.

Yes. Consssssiderably.