The leather jacket and the mid-life crisis

2»

Comments

• SokaSoka Posts: 23MI6 Agent
    edited September 2021

Often, what we see in our heads is vastly at odds with what we refuse to see with our eyes.

• sunny01sunny01 Posts: 524MI6 Agent
    edited September 2021

Do you mean people are deluded and think they look good but they look Sh*t?? Please explain!!

To the point that "it's all in the head", I think that's true to an extent. But yes it's human to delude ourselves when it concerns our self-image. It's a head-heart thing. To put it plainly, we always look better in the bathroom mirror :)

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent

To me the Matchless suede, the Varvatos suede, possibly the Tom Ford Solden thing.

To the point that "it's all in the head", I think that's true to an extent. But yes it's human to delude ourselves when it concerns our self-image. It's a head-heart thing. To put it plainly, we always look better in the bathroom mirror :)

Geez - I hope that's not the case as i hate the way i look min the mirror most of the time! Perhaps the reverse holds true as well! :)

• nicolebotellonicolebotello Posts: 2MI6 Agent

I didn't see mid-life crisis on wearing leather jacket at 40, even daniel craig looks great in leather jacket.

• Alex006Alex006 Posts: 156MI6 Agent

I mean, I know we live in a youth worshipping time, but the young don't have a monopoly on fashion, so don't feel bullied into feeling bad about liking to wear whatever you want to wear.

I'm in that precarious twilight space between being a young-ish adult and middle age, so maybe I'm being optimistic, but even in my youth I've never seen an adult I felt embarrassed for fashion-wise. Okay, that's not true, but let's just say I never associated any one item with a mid life crisis. It's more of a lifestyle choice.

Maybe if they are chasing a very specific style, ie Ed Hardy, and going overboard with the accessories... but even then, it's not about a specific generic item (ie beanie, necklace, earring, etc), but the lifestyle they're trying to project.

No, a leather jacket doesn't make an older man look desperate. Wearing a leather jacket with chains and a backwards cap while trying to film Tiktok videos for his own channel, and chasing a girl old enough to be your daughter? Then yes. But again, the leather jacket is the least of your worries here.

Alex006, I agree that we should wear what we feel comfortable with but don't you think there comes a point when you do start to look desperate? The question is where do you draw that line. For me, leather jackets with a minimalist design are fine -- ala James Bond. But biker jackets with endless zips, straps, pockets and studs surely begin to look silly for a guy in his 50s.

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,450MI6 Agent

As a man in his 50s, I can tell you this is true of me.

Not to say some guys can't pull it off. As I noted previously, actual bikers seem to get away with this even as they grow fat and grey. Maybe because they fully commit to the look.

And also, you should always dress for yourself. One of the life lessons of reaching your 50s is that people don't think about you a fraction as much as you might think.

On this topic - i bought this leather jacket around 8yrs ago so i was 40

I loved the jacket but I've only worn it 3-4 times...partly as my wife made me feel an idiot wearing it (saying its not the right place to wear it etc.) and friends commented did u come here by bike!! I guess its ben a case of wanting to have the jacket but it only suits certain people or lifestyle (i.e. are you actually a biker).

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,123MI6 Agent
    edited September 2021

I'm a great believer in wear what YOU want if YOU really like it and it makes YOU feel good. Ideally, try and appreciate what suits your proportions and colouring but at the end of the day, who cares.

And let's face it, David Beckham could wear that jacket at 90 and still look cool😎

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Alex006Alex006 Posts: 156MI6 Agent
    edited September 2021

All fair points. As Chevarian wisely pointed out, people care a lot less about what you're wearing than you think. At the end of the day, you're your own worst critic.

If you think something makes you look desperate, then don't wear it. Why? Because you feel it makes you feel desperate. If it makes you feel good, then honestly who cares what a small minority's opinion of you is?

I mean, how do you think those older biker guys got to where they are? They stopped caring. If you have confidence in what you wear and think 'screw the rest,' then folks won't be bothered. And even if a small minority does, who will that be, and why should that matter to you?

It's all about confidence at the end of the day. Even something like an older guy wearing jeans... JEANS... which folks in some circles think men over a certain age shouldn't wear (completely serious here), well if you get that negative self-talk get to you, then you'll think that wearing jeans looks desperate. You'll act like it, and then yes, you'll look silly in them.

Dress for yourself. Unlike Bond, you only live once.