Tributes Thread

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

Much sympathy, walther p99. All the best to you.

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

I’m so sorry to hear that, Walther P99 - my thoughts are with you too.

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

Walther, I've only just seen your post. Please accept my sincere condolences. I will raise a glass of the good stuff to your father this evening. Best wishes and strength to you my friend.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

There's never a good time to lose someone, but I find that right now it's especially difficult in so many ways. You have my most sincere condolences, Walther.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,702MI6 Agent
    edited September 2021

Today it's twenty years since the horrible terror attacks in the US. The fates of the innocent people murdered that day, the survivors, their lives ones and the brave first responders are still on our minds today. The terrorist attacks that day changed our world, from airport check-ins to the Iraq war. The number of people around the world who has lost their lives as a direct result of the war om terror is calculated to be somewhere from about 900 000 to almost a million. Without drawing a conclusion here on the war on terror we can say most of those people weren't terrorists, only indirect victims of the terrible events that day. Rest in peace.

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

It was 20 years ago yet I remember every single moment of that day vividly, from a friend phoning me to say that an aircraft had just crashed in New York, to the silence that afternoon when practically no one was left downtown and the skies were clear. It's incredible to me to realise that no one under 25 years of age was even alive or remembers that day.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

RIP Sir Clive Sinclair, computer pioneer. I doubt that there are many in my age bracket, at least in the UK, who haven't possessed at least one of his gadgets.

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent

Jane Powell, star of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, has died aged 92.

As she was so good in that I'm surprised she wasn't in more films, but she was a trouper it seems and carried on performing into her 80s.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent

Sad news for Only Fools And Horses fans.

John Challis who played Boycie, has died following a battle with cancer. He was 79 years old. Died in his sleep.

John was fantastic as Boycie. RIP,John. Thanks for the laughs.

Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent

A sad day September 19th 2021.

Jimmy Greaves, football’s greatest goal scorer passed away at 81. A true footballing legend.

John Challis, best known as Boycie in Only Fools And Horses, passed away from cancer at 79. Boycie became a major character in the series and a spin-off series was made, The Green, Green Grass. Maaarleeeen!

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Notting Hill director Roger Mitchell has died at a relatively young age.

He also did the Daniel Craig film Enduring Love and Rachel Weisz film My Cousin Rachel.

He had been lined up to do Quantum of Solace but bowed out. This was revealed in the fine book Some Kind of a Hero - he was invited to sign on without a script ready, his first real meeting was about the making of video game. He talked about how a sort of wave of depression came over him, a sort of foreboding about what he was being asked to take on, so jumped ship. A wise move.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent

RIP, I just saw Enduring Love again the other day on Netflix for the first time in about 15 years. A good cast of relative unknowns at the time who went on to do the Bond films. As well as Craig it features Ben Whishaw and Helen Mcrory, (another talent gone too soon). Rick from the Walking Dead appears for one scene too.

Not a bad film really, gets a bit too over the top toward the end but that’s movies for you. Still nicely directed, sad to hear of his death.

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,177MI6 Agent

I read that Melvin van Peebles, director of the famous blaxploitation movie Sweet Sweetback's Badass Song (1971) passed away.

Sad to hear of the passing of Liverpool and England legend Roger Hunt. Great player and very humble man.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff

RIP the great ‘Sir’ Roger Hunt 🍸

Didn’t get to see him play for my beloved Liverpool but I did see him play for Bolton Wanderers a few times…he’s a true Liverpool legend 🙌🏻

YNWA 97
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

Sad to hear of the death of Roger Moore's third wife, Luisa Mattioli, aged 85. 💐

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent

Sadly another British MP, Sir David Amess, was assassinated earlier today. He was the Conservative MP for Southend West. He was stabbed at his constituency surgery:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58930593

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,702MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

Jakob Strandheim, the last member of the legendary Shetland Gang, died this Friday aged 101. The Shetland Gang, also known as the Shetland Bus, was Norwegian SOE (Special Operations Executive) unit during WWII. They were stationed on the Shetland Islands and smugled weapons, explosives and agents to occupied Norway and brought agents and refugees back. The first years of the war they used fishing boats with machine guns hidden in oil barrels, all very "guns of Navarone". Later they used more powerful navy submarine chasers. Strandheim made 56 missions, the majority on one of the sub chasers. It was very important and dangerous work. Half of the unit lost they lives on missions, mostly to "the cruel sea". Jakob Strandheim said: "No-one said no to a mission. We not only accepted the high probability of death, we expected to die". Rest in peace.

(If anyone is interested you could use the search words "Shetlandsgjengen (1954) - fly mot babord" on Google Video. The scene is from a movie where some of the unit members played themselves.)

The great composer and lyricist Leslie Bricusse passed away today. He of course wrote the lyrics for GOLDFINGER (with Anthony Newley) and YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE. Two great Bond themes.

He first came to prominence writing with Newley on a series of big British hits and big theatre shows including Stop the World I Want to Get Off and The Smell of the Greasepaint, The Roar of the Crowd. The latter including the much recorded classic ballad WHO CAN I TURN TO. Together they also wrote the songs for Dr Doolittle and won an Oscar for TALK TO THE ANIMALS. They didn't quite repeat the trick with WIlly Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, but CANDY MAN became a US number one for Sammy Davis Jr. In between, he penned the film musical SCROOGE. in 1963, he and Newley won a Grammy for song of year for WHAT KIND OF FOOL AM I? from Stop the World..., the first British artists and writers to do so.

Sad to hear of the death of Leslie Bricusse. An important early part of the Bond film sound.

A sad loss. A very talented gentleman.

edited October 2021

One year ago today... Sean Connery RIP.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Saddened to read of the death of Dean Stockwell at the age of 85. Will probably be best remembered for his part in Quantum Leap, but was also in Lynch’s Blue Velvet and Dune amongst others, RIP.

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff

Dean Stockwell was a child star and went on to be a quirky character actor. RIP.

Vox clamantis in deserto
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff

Believe it or not, Gavan O'Herlihy is a footnote in one of the most popular US situation comedies of the 1970s. . . in the first couple of seasons of HAPPY DAYS, he played Richie Cunningham's older brother, who was in college. However, he was completely written out of the show and Richie magically became the oldest child! RIP to someone they tried to make disappear!

Vox clamantis in deserto

RIP, I remember him as a gang leader with a bizarre hairdo in Death Wish 3. Also, he was the son of Dan O’Herlihy, OCP’s head honcho in Robocop.

Sad to hear of the death of Gavan O'Herlihy. One of the relatively few Irishmen ever to appear in a Bond film.

edited November 2021

It is my sad duty to report that Ian Fleming and James Bond biographer John Pearson has died at the age of 91. He worked with Fleming at the Sunday Times. Condolences to his family and friends. 💐

That's sad news about John Pearson