Comments

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

I can't believe it only sold for £1500. TF dress shirts must have cost more than that brand new, let alone considering it's an actual screen worn by DC piece. If I was the seller at auction, I would not have let it go for £1500.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 814MI6 Agent

Was it screen worn? I thought there were only photos from Pinewood under the white dinner jacket?

But whilst the Pinewood image looks pleated the main mannequin photo of the shirt is definitely not pleated? Is the mannequin image just a terrible photo?

Otherwise options are it's the London flat, Morocco/lair or PTS shirt? Only Morocco and flat filmed at Pinewood? Genuine question, not a critique just more curious as to what people think it actually is.

Ewbanks wording was suitably vague.

"James Bond Spectre - Tom Ford white shirt worn by Daniel Craig in Spectre, with photo on set at Pinewood studios, marked 'Made to Measure', and Daniel Craig on label 'Daniel Craig James Bond 17/10/2014 Shirt' with studio label 'D.C Hero 40R Day 3', Size 15.75 inches. Obtained from a crew member at Pinewood."

• The Bond VivantThe Bond Vivant SeendPosts: 1,325MI6 Agent

It wasn't pleated, so it is confusing that the vendor included the photo of DC in the white tux (you can just about see it's pleated in the photo). I think it was the one used in the Morocco scenes.

Thanks Blair, helpful confirmation. Was probably a steal at Ewbanks. Though if I was coming cold to the ebay listing the random, definitely not the same shirt, Pinewood pic would make me think twice.

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent

What Blair said.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Dodge101Dodge101 Posts: 55MI6 Agent

what the hell!!!! So the persons intention at the auction was to bid and win the shirt then upon receipt of the shirt immediately put it on ebay!!!, others may think the practice is ok but i think it is despicable.

Well, we do buy these things as investments. Nothing wrong with that. This seller is well known for doing this. And they sit on their stock for many years due to the prices. And er…. Let’s say reasons people with a keen eye and a brain understand.

• Dodge101Dodge101 Posts: 55MI6 Agent

I understand the practice completely, GREED. Purchase low, sell high. It's how the world works. Doesn't mean I have to like it or accept it.

edited October 2021

Well, you do have to accept it. Because it’s happening, and always has happened. Unless you are planning to stop it of course. Are you? How? It’s their item. They can do with it as they wish. Why didn’t you buy it?

Thats not an endorsement or defence of that particular sellers practices mind you. But he rarely sells stuff at his inflated prices. And most know caveat emptor applies to such sales.

edited October 2021

I don’t think price is the main issue with this…it’s the fact that they’re using a picture of a completely different shirt to indicate provenance and really labouring it’s import by going on about how it can be framed!

might as well have a picture of Craig in the grigioperlas and frame it with the title. “Conclusive proof D.C. wore clothes during his time as Bond.”

If I didn’t respect some of the people vouching for it it would definitely be filed under ‘classic eBay fraud.’

• The Bond VivantThe Bond Vivant SeendPosts: 1,325MI6 Agent

The problem was that the photo was included as provenance was of DC wearing the dress shirt. I didn't notice the discrepancy when I was filming the lots. There was a label showing that it was made for DC.

edited October 2021

of course, except the more that's pointed out the worse the use of the other picture gets.

Assuming the label isn't faked, which there is no particular reason to suspect, it becomes increasingly odd to use the image of a different shirt, which at best is unintentionally misleading.

The fact they play it up like this "COMES WITH THE WONDERFUL PICTURE WHERE YOU SEE DANIEL TRYING THE SHIRTS AT PINEWOOD STUDIOS AND IS READY TO BE FRAMED." is really poor. Although I note the pluralisation of the shirts which alludes to the fact that the image is not what you're buying.

And when you take that away the reality is there is no evidence of this being screen worn. Especially as there are many multiples of shirts and suits made for any one scene. So if I was coughing up the new figure I would certainly be pressing on just which member of crew this came from because there is currently no provenance at all.

edited October 2021

RareProps certificate. Hmmm. I remember a certain KW was faking Tom Ford labels in Tom Ford suits and other items around SPECTRE. They were very good. I’m not saying this shirt is one of those examples. But it was certainly happening. The rest is correct to Craig’s screen used shirts I have seen.

As an addition to this I had to collect something I purchased from the auction today. The shirt which eBay says is being shipped from Germany in 2.5 days if you win is very much still in a bag on a shelf in Surrey - the visible elements through the bag of the shirt do look in order based on TF made to measure shirts I have, and it is filthy round the collar, I suppose indicating use! But to add to my confusion and ire about the irrelevant picture of a completely different shirt, it is in the bag alongside the shirt and really doesn't look like a photo so much as an A4 print out of a photo. Baffling and odd.

I do think flipping products you do not have in hand and so have never inspected for yourself is poor form but hardly unusual - the seller will hope to sell before having to pay Ewbanks and probably get them to ship directly to the ebayer's address meaning they are never out of pocket and saving shipping.

Didn't sell. Good. Hopefully it will get an honest re-listing.

lol...of course it didn't.

is just tiresome that this is so dishonest, and so completely unnecessary as the shirt itself would have looked real enough - and if the source is a crew member and can be validated...but instead what has been chosen to be made public both at the original auction and doubled down on here is complete nonsense.

edited October 2021

and again...last time, but given the seller seems to be such a big Bond dealer was hopeful maybe they frequented the pages and might correct their listing, which the first time looks like error, the 3rd, 4th, 5th etc would begin to embarrass a hack eBay fraudster - they've even watermarked the photo with the wrong shirt🙄.

Multiple hero pieces, from shirts to suits and so on, are provided to ensure continuity etc, and and given the photo debacle there remains no public evidence this was ever on screen. It seems a shame not to assuage that doubt by correcting the obvious mistake.