NTTD garage scene, jeans identification

Comments

• frommeyerfrommeyer ChicagoPosts: 418MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

Counter word of advice: I don't know how many people here follow fashion trends outside of Bond/suiting but slim fit jeans are out of vogue in almost all fashion circles. Straight, looser fitting clothing is very much back. That will be the look going forward. Until it all swings back in 15-20 years. For now those Bond Brionis you have in the closet are the new hotness.

BUT. I agree. Wear what looks and feels best on /you/. Which, for me, is usually an average between the two extremes.

• walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent

He was in phenomenal shape in the movie. His stomach has sometimes looked like that when he's all bulked up, can see it a bit in CR as well.

• JTullock23JTullock23 ArizonaPosts: 552MI6 Agent

@frommeyer Brioni is Back! Haha.

"History isn't kind to men who play God." - DC "I gave him the limp." - PB "Better make that two." - TD

"Keeping British end up, sir." - RM "This never happened to the other fellow." - JL "I must be dreaming." SC
  • singhammersinghammer Posts: 108MI6 Agent

Some more stills I found.

• Bond_AmbitionsBond_Ambitions Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 459MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

Thanks for the new grabs Singhammer.

So I think this rules out the AG Tellis or Dylan, and probably anything from AG all together.

This grab I think shows fairly clearly that the tag is positioned further towards the centre back, almost in line with the left edge of right back pocket.

AG tags are pretty clearly a different shape and positioned further to the right

Dylan:

Tellis:

Also, holster? what is this?

Yeah, I, too think that the AG label is too far right. Although it would be a good fit colour wise.

Reg. the white freckles, I'm not sure. First I thought of it being the AG logo and these are just compression artefacts. But maybe its just shiny rivets?

• canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

The white lines are definitely blurs caused by the rivets. And the patch is stitched down, with no curled corners. The screen shots definitely contain artifacts (although they're still helpful!).

I saw the film again on Tuesday night in IMAX and paid close attention to this scene (honestly, I'm getting a little tired of staring a Bond's perfectly formed arse 😁). And I basically saw what I saw the first time: plain, slightly oversized back pockets with darker orange stitching around the seams, single centered belt loop, large leather patch (plain as far as I could make out; if there is a logo or writing it must be very small, almost a total color match for the rest of the leather, or tucked in a corner of the patch). Filters used during filming or work in post production could certainly change the color of the denim (slightly darker or lighter), but it appeared to me to have a distinctive slub texture that I usually associate with raw denim (although Bond's might not be as darkly indigo dyed or they've been distressed by the costume department for filming).

In terms of looks, these Unbranded Brand still come closest to what I saw:

EDIT: once again, credit to @MrE for the Unbranded suggestion. Sorry I didn't tag you this time!

• That would be cool if I identified something first, not that it's a competition, and not saying I did. It's the plain raw look and that massive brown tag that really jumped out at me and reminded me of unbranded brand.

• I think it's very poor form for Obi Sean Kenobi to drop "a matter of fact" statement, claim the jeans are AG Dylan in raw and then go radio silent. Statements like that should be qualified with "it's my best guess that..."

edited October 2021

Well, I'm definitely giving you credit for suggesting Unbranded! Sorry I didn't tag you in my last post but I've tried to do it in previous posts.

EDIT: just fixed my oversight

Also colour wise the Unbranded jeans look pretty spot on!

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

Who knows..?! Tough one this one.

The Unbranded ones looks close and could work with the outfit, if we're supposed to tie in where Bond has just come from (I note this is a Non Spoiler thread so, won't go into detail). Taking into account the circumstances, would he be wearing an expensive pair of TF jeans for example?The RGT and white t-shirt could be any rough and ready items picked up en-route from the previous scene. Just a thought. But I'm probably really over-thinking the wardrobe production's thought process on this one!🤪

As discussed over on James Bond Radio yesterday. There does seem to be gap in this scene from the previous. Reminded me a little of Moonraker; the post ambulance fight scene to cowboy scene.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Too bad these went R&B Denims. It would have been a lot easier to identify them with the ‘rb’ on the back pocket. I’m leaning toward them being Unbranded.

"History isn't kind to men who play God." - DC "I gave him the limp." - PB "Better make that two." - TD

"Keeping British end up, sir." - RM "This never happened to the other fellow." - JL "I must be dreaming." SC
  • TheExit148TheExit148 Posts: 562MI6 Agent

For those that don’t know, Unbranded is the cheaper version of Naked and Famous; same denim but made in Macau and only a few fits.

• No, confirmation yet from unbranded brand. So it's not official.

canoe2, you are totally fine. I honestly don't care if I'm the first to identify. You are by far, much more of an expert in this field than myself.

I have a couple other ideas of what the jeans could be, I'll send you a message, perhaps with our forces combined we can crack this one. Ttys

Not an expert. I've just had more opportunities than most to research products from various brands. So some things stick in my mind. Look forward to your message; always ready to contribute what I can to an interesting mission! 😁

But I have to say: What's funny to me is we have a pair of jeans (Unbranded) staring us in the face and they really do check all the "must have this detail" boxes. Yet, for some reason, I'm not 100% convinced they're the right ones. I want to say it's because they're not a "Bond-type" or "Craig-approved" brand. But who among us thought we'd see Billy Reid, RgT, All Saints, Alexander Olch, 7FAM and Tommy Bahama in a Bond film before they showed up? Craig-Bond has worn Alfani and Zara for crying out loud! 😂 Maybe being a "brand snob" is what's really holding me back here.

• CajunCajun Posts: 481MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

Considering what hipsters consider slim, it's never occurred to me that DC's screen-worn jeans were any tighter or looser than most. They all look like a regular modern straight fit to me.

As others have said, choose the cut (and brand) that works best for your physique. The 'waist size trial and error to make slimmer jeans look and feel normal' struggle is real. Adding stretch denim to the equation has made things even more interesting.

I edit, therefore I am.
  • Cg23Cg23 Posts: 242MI6 Agent

Count me in for happy medium, maybe closer to slim tapered type look. I think it has to do with age, and also just not wanting my pants to be spray painted on and make my butt bleed when i walk up some stairs.

Im to the point now where if my denim doesnt have stretch then Im probably passing. At this day in age I am genuinely curious why some would choose non stretch vs a little stretch with how well they can do denim now. Im no expert, just curious. Im not talking crazy composition stretch multiple sizes type stuff, but something like even just a 2% spandex mixed in goes a really long way in denim comfort.

• CommandantCommandant Posts: 1,367MI6 Agent

So far the Unbranded jeans are the closest.

• If the camera adds 10 lbs. they are certainly slim fit.

• Guys, they are not unbranded brand.

And they are not AG either.

I think I got 'em.

I'm in communication with another company, and so far it sounds very promising and they are doing some research for me and are being very helpful (which is like a breath of fresh air compared to some other companies) but I don't want to say too much in case I'm wrong.

• Are we sure they are not Tom Ford? Tom Ford did supply the grey ones after all.

• CajunCajun Posts: 481MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

I mentioned it because even 2% stretch adds an extra consideration to the right fit for me. My standard jean size usually ends up being too big in stretch denim, forcing me to size down. Then I have to make sure the seat is still roomy enough and the legs aren't too slim. Rinse and repeat.

My size in non-stretch is fairly consistent across most brands and I don't find 'em uncomfortable. I also feel stretch denim is less durable than standard denim. YMMV.

I edit, therefore I am.

Just watched the film for the 5th time. Attempted to snap more photos. Didn’t work out for me, but I did manage to see what looked like a white selvedge edge on the front pocket like some of Naked & Famous jeans like the first photo. The back of the jeans also looks a bit like N&F, the second photo. Obviously the jeans in the film were a few years old and man not be made anymore. Has anyone else seen this?

You are right! I think it's there.

Does any other brand have this selvedge edge on the side pocket? If not then we may have found it.

The label position would also be perfect.

• Bond_AmbitionsBond_Ambitions Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 459MI6 Agent

Yep I think you’re onto it JT. Well done.

edited October 2021

2 things to consider with the Naked & Famous

1. They are very well known for their bold patches. I can't think of a pair of N&F jeans that doesn't have a big leather patch with lots of embossed graphic work on it. Most of the time it's a woman. But they've done other designs for limited edition models. I think that crazy graphic work is something we definitely would have noticed.
    2. Lots of brands use a selvedge edge coin pocket (I have a cheap pair of Banana Republic selvedge jeans that has it). Personally, I don't remember seeing one (and I was trying to pay close attention both times I saw the movie). And of course, I could have missed it. But I wouldn't use that coin pocket style as a defining feature of N&F alone.

Edit to add: has anyone contacted Rivet and Hide? That's where the costume department bought the RgT jacket. Would make sense that they'd pick up some jeans from there as well and they carry a ton of selvedge brands. Just a thought.

@canoe2 you're surely right, that this is no evidence. However regarding the patch I guess it would be easy to CGI the graphic out of the patch.