Budget Bond Collectors Resource

Comments

• ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 593MI6 Agent

Always wanted the Beacon but could never get the fit right. I ended up with the Barbour Lutz which is a great alternative 👏🏻

Yes. Considerably!
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent

Any theories on why this coat is so back in play this month? I was there since the beginning and I've seen the interest spike and crater, and it's a bit of a surprise to see folks talking about it so much recently.

• ChicoChico Posts: 56MI6 Agent

I got the Lutz jacket on endclothing.com for under $220; it was on sale at the time about a week ago, idk if it’s still up.

Great fit so far, I was away when it was delivered so I didn’t have a lot of time with it. Taking it to my tailor for a better fit in the waist and cuffs. Solid jacket alternative, I’ll be posting a review on it on my blog after its altered.

laborandluxury.com

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

I picked mine up last month. Have always wanted one but just never pulled the trigger. When I saw it on offer at END. I couldn't resist and it was the right time of year to get some good use out of it on Autumnal walks too.

Perhaps another reason for the reignited interest is some sentimentality for DC's Bond, with NTTD being his last film, and many of the us enjoying the white heat of sartorial collecting of DC's Bond wear during Skyfall and SPECTRE.

Also perhaps for those less enamoured with the some of the jackets worn in NTTD, we've spent the money we may have had set aside for one of his NTTD jackets on a previous film piece that the majority agree looks damn cool.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • mynameisbond007mynameisbond007 Posts: 68MI6 Agent

Good to see the Barbour beacon getting a lot of love again, maybe the perfect time to sell mine ? Hmmm

• GaryorangeGaryorange Posts: 160MI6 Agent

I have a very bad habit of buying jackets and then selling. That has never happened with the Beacon jacket.

Hands down my favourite jacket and for its sins the one that sent me on the Bond clothes rabbit hole!

• MailfistMailfist Posts: 236MI6 Agent

Some budget alternatives:

NTTD Connerlly shirt - Marks & Spencer Jaeger range - pure linen long sleeve shirt stone - shade looks a bit darker than the Connerlly shirt but you can't always go by colour on websites. £69

GE Monte Carlo blue crew neck cable knit sweater - John Lewis £50. Took delivery of mine today and pleased with it.

John Lewis also have a version in Timberland range at £100 but this is chunkier and has a logo.

Sorry I don't know how to put the pictures on this site.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

Hi @Mailfist To copy pictures I just go to the website, hover over the image, right click, copy image. Then just right click and paste it into your message. Voila;

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Thanks I'll give it a try

• Hart008Hart008 Posts: 710MI6 Agent

Hey guys, with the pandemic almost over i just watched NTTD hehe, i would like to ask or get a feel here in the forum if many would be interested in projects

i would like to start making combat boots, to match the cargo and commando outfit

also would you guys know of where i can buy french cuff shirt for my suit

thank u

Yes i did ride the CAT
  • SevenSeven Posts: 346MI6 Agent

Dear canoe2,

Again, thank you for your efforts.

Have a recommendation for the navy trainer shorts, which I find a good alternative regarding cut, cloth and drawstring:

https://www.g-star.com/nl_be/shop/heren/shorts/d18977-a790-4213-30?utm_source=gstar_orderconfirmation&utm_campaign=gstar_orderconfirmation&utm_medium=email

Regards,

GE Monte Carlo budget alternative. John Lewis £50. I have bought one and pleased with it.

Saw this jacket in IG, it looks awfully similar to the RGT one. It’s on sale for $110, even has the extra button with white stitching, chest pocket, color is even almost spot on.

Considering this an alternative to the Supply Jacket, I wish I could purchase the RGT jacket but if there’s any quality degradation to this jacket I’ll buy the RGT, but as a 22 yr old, I’m trying to save a few bucks for something better in the future. If anyone could compare these and check it out, tell me if there are any red flags please.

https://bockhornsupplyco.com/products/waxed-canvas-errand-jacket?variant=39961002639565

• Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent
    edited November 2021

The Maden has been known for a while. It's currently $42 on Aliexpress with an MSRP of around $55, and that's about what it is worth. You can also find them on eBay and occasionally Amazon. Do not spend $110 for this off the link provided. Any time something shows up in Instagram adverts you can usually find it cheaper elsewhere.

BTW, the stitched button hole isn't actually a real button hole. It's just for show.

The quality of the RgT is much better, but you are comparing a $300 jacket to a $50 copy.

• Cg23Cg23 Posts: 242MI6 Agent

im selling a sz small rgt supply jacket for basically half price if thats your size!

Thanks, so I’m definitely getting the RGT jacket, just have a little more to save to get it, but I’m glad it’s been cleared up, I hadn’t seen the buttonhole detail or the cheaper price on Amazon, what a waste it would have been. I do try to save but when it comes to the best quality of something I don’t squander much.

@Cg23 thanks for the offer but I am a medium, it’s always been my size and if need altering, my tailor knows exactly what to do

*oops i meant I do squander when it comes to quality 😁

• JTullock23JTullock23 ArizonaPosts: 552MI6 Agent

Chico, you won’t be disappointed in waiting to get the RGT over the imposters.

"History isn't kind to men who play God." - DC "I gave him the limp." - PB "Better make that two." - TD

"Keeping British end up, sir." - RM "This never happened to the other fellow." - JL "I must be dreaming." SC

Hey no worries, its a great jacket you’ll love it! Enjoy it!!

Another possible alternative, I’ve seen a few pop up in different movie accurate clothing stores. Here’s what they’re excerpt states for it in the store I will link at the end.

”This tan coat is made of premium quality cotton fabric, and it also features a soft viscose lining inside to ensure maximum warmth in cold weather. Furthermore, it also contains a buttoned front closure, peak lapel collar, full-length sleeves. This  No Time To Die James Bond Duster Cotton Tan Coat is available in tan color.”

IDK if this is the same coat in all these stores, or some made they’re own version, but it seems to be cord pattern.

If this hasn’t been considered, it may be worth it to check out for $140.

https://www.williamjacket.com/product/no-time-to-die-james-bond-duster-mid-length-tan-coat/?gclid=CjwKCAiA1aiMBhAUEiwACw25MQX9Y1ZpcAS_iMZYLxWRlmuKf26GNtfSUdT6Ichx8FSW4DlinhmKnRoC5QkQAvD_BwE

I dont wanna be “that guy” but this looks like they just used the actual MA Duster photo. So I’d be extremely careful ordering from places that use the original photos as their own. I am looking for an alternative for this jacket though for sure

• Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent

Plus the MA duster is supposed to be green.

Avoid any site that doesn't post examples of their own product.

I've been disregarding the obvious when it comes to alternatives I guess 🤦🏻‍♂️

Have to pay more attention as to why the price is the price and check the real site photos to make an estimated guess.

I loved the MA outfit w/ Connolly shirt and I’d like to emulate it

• kristopherm3kristopherm3 Posts: 156MI6 Agent

Same here - I'm a big spaghetti western fan so it's cool to see Bond donning that sort of attire.

I actually loved the look with both the Connolly snd the Henley. Very different, but definitely agree has a spaghetti western vibe to it. No chance any incredibly talented people would make an alternative of this is there…hint hint Royale..

I realize this most likely will never happen but the guy makes such amazing stuff! I can always dream

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,446MI6 Agent

Truer words....

I wouldn’t be surprised if Daniel Love of Royale takes a run at the duster. The design wouldn’t be hard. The real challenges would be the corduroy and the color.

• canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent

Hi everyone!

We'll that was 2 weeks of my life I won't get back! 😂 Being going crazy thanks to the NY DMV (nothing like a 7 hour road trip to take care of $25 parking ticket from 1998!), my son bringing home a cold from school, a website back end crash and other assorted odds and ends. Anyway, we're up and running again!

New post: I had a chance to review the Paul James Fitted Submariner sweater in navy:

I've been looking for one for a few years now, inspired by that pic of DC wearing the Gieves & Hawkes roll neck from 2015. The Paul James is really, really nice for the price. And check out the article if only to see how they package it! I know it's all about the actual sweater at the end of the day. But they certainly make you feel like you've bought a high end luxury product!

Other stuff:

@Mailfist thanks for sharing the M&S shirt and John Lewis sweater! I'll include them in upcoming posts with credit to you for the finds. Cheers!

@Seven can you tell me the G-Star short model you're looking at? The link you posted just takes me to the main page of their website. Thanks!

@Chico As @Westward_Drift says, that one has been out for a while, but I've never included in a post since it really does just rip-off the RgT design. I explain my feelings in the website article on alternatives for the Garage Jacket. But, again as Westward_Drift says, you can find it for a lot cheaper than $110 on AliExpress. Glad you decided to save up for the RgT!

Also, as @Cg23 suggests, I'd also recommend staying away from those no name "movie jacket" websites. I'll be looking again for alternatives for the Duster in a few weeks if that interests you.

Cheers everyone!

John

• SevenSeven Posts: 346MI6 Agent
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent

@Seven I see why it's not working: I'm automatically being taken to the U.S. site so the URL is being changed. But now that I have the model name I'll look around for them. Cheers!

@canoe2 It would be great to have more alternatives to the duster. It’s been a hard thing to find, there are similar coats, but not any in corduroy.

If it’s possible, it would be great to see budget alternatives to the Sunspel Riviera/Orlebar Brown type t-shirt. There are infinite options but maybe it could be dialed down to some that are similar to the look and feel.

I purchased the Sunspel Riviera Polo recently and even that was a big buy for a young guy, so I couldn’t put almost $100 in each t-shirt, especially if it’s an item I need stocking up on.